Spider lily bulbs

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

These bulbs produce flowers unlike anything I have been able to find on the internet...even our own database here at Dave's. I am going to try to get a picture to post just as soon as I can.

They're a reddish color with spikey colored petals. They are native to this area and are nearly impossible to buy at nurseries anymore, or so I've been told.

Due to resourcefulness, prayer and a lot of phone calls, I was given permission to dig up a bunch of these bulbs at a property that is currently under development.

These flowers do not bloom in the springtime, only in the fall. There is no foliage, just the stem and flower. I'm in zone 8, so don't know how they'd do anywhere else.

My hard work is everyone's gain. If you want some bulbs, let me know. I'd prefer to trade, but I'll do SASE if you are new and/or don't have much.

For trades, I could use solomon's seal, pachysandra, hostas (named or unnamed), tulip bulbs (prefer white or pastels), and/or phlox (groundcover type). If none of those work, I have another thing I'm looking for, strange though it may sound, and that's currency and/or coins from other countries. I'm using it to teach my 9 year old. We have 8 or so countries, so far.

Ok, I'll hush now. Thanks so much.

I have some too, and I have a picture of it. If you can put it in the data base I can upload a picture.

I don't know the latin name for it. I can't find any information on it at all. It's a mystery flower. If you know the genus/species, I'll research it and gather the info for the database.

(Zone 5b)

Hi,

I wonder if it could be a variety of lycoris? Here's a link

http://garden.dmans.com/jshields/amaryllids/lycoris.html

Cheryl

(Zone 5b)

Depending on what it is (I'm trying to be careful about the toxic stuff so I need to check on the above-ground parts), I'm interested in trading. Please check my list.

Cheryl

I out it in the database with picture yes it is lycoris radiata it is in the amaryllis family. Hope this helps

That's it! You found it! I've never heard anything about it being toxic, but then, I'm only going on what I've heard since I've moved down here about a year ago. I spoke to a friend of mine who owns a nursery and she didn't say anything (and she would have, I'm sure) especially knowing that I have two kiddos, one of which isn't 2 years old, yet.

Cheryl, where's your trade list?

I dont know if its toxic either so I left it blank. Maybe you can do a search on toxic plants to find out.

Ok, I have a photo now, how do I post it here? Help?

(Zone 5b)

I haven't figured out under what conditions my trade list shows up. Sometimes it's just not there or I click the right link and it's there, which means I might have set it up wrong. I'll figure it out. Anyway, I just have to be careful because I would have to bring the bulbs in my house for winter so I should probably pass on these.

Probably no worse than other toxic bulbs but my others stay outside and buried or go out to the garage.

Here's a couple of links I found about the toxicity of lycoris
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Lycorra.htm
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~davcooke/lycoris.htm

and heres a good one with poisonous plants and bulbs
http://museum.gov.ns.ca/poison/bulbs.htm

and here are links listing both "safe" and toxic plants.
http://www.calpoison.com/public/
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/poison.htm

Come to think of it, I didn't find such good sites when I was planting my new garden this year so I'll have to do a lot more reading and planning for spring (trying to make it safer for my new grandson).

Cheryl

Ok, so you have to actually eat the bulb (yukky) and even then it's listed as a low toxicity. Whew! I was really worried for a moment. I have a 21 month old. She's out of the phase where she puts everything in her mouth, but you never know with kiddos. They're unpredictable.

Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

now that I have seen the plant it gonna go onto why wants list.

they're gorgeous and look similar to Nerines.

Mark

Mark,

I realize that you're not exactly a next-door neighbor, but you're welcome to some if you want to pay for the postage.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Smiln32, I would LOVE to have some. You have mail!

Terry, You have mail right back! :)

Also, for anyone who is interested in what these little fellows look like, I have a photo posted on the photo forum.

Ok, to be clear, these are lycoris radiata. I do have plenty to share/trade. Here is a link to see what they look like. This is one that I dug up and left out for several days as I was trying to figure out where to plant all of the ones I want to keep. Many of them are sprouting green stalks right now and they aren't even in the ground. These little fellows are made of sturdy stock. :)

http://davesgarden.com/showthread/114782.html

I'm going to stop shipping these bulbs out for awhile until I can get caught up on everything, then I'll see what I have left.

Thanks to everyone for responding. I'm so happy to be able to share this blessing (from God) with so many of you.

Harrisburg, NC(Zone 7a)

Spider lilys have been growing in my yard ever since I was a child (that was a long time ago), they are wonderful plants.
In the spring they make their leaves, which die back when it gets hot, they make their flowers in the fall, they just pop up everywhere and multiply like crazy. I have noticed when moving them that they usually don't bloom the first year after moving, so be patient. Here they do not have to be taken up in the fall, and seem to be very hardy. They will grow in the shade or sun. I have some that never get any sun and others that get full afternoon sun and both do very good.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

well if anyone has extras-id luv a few more-i have 2!

let me know
dori

Dori,
You've got mail....

If there are anymore I would love some at my grammas old house she had these. I have foreign coins to trade. What country are you looking for? I have quiet a bit, we used to collect. I even have some bills if interested. :)

Chillicothe, OH(Zone 5a)

Midwestsnowbird, they aren't hardy for your zone. I know because my Mom in zone 8 gave me a lot of them last year. I live in zone 5 and didn't understand why they didn't do anything this year till I saw the hyperlink on this thread. I was so disapointed! I traded a lot of these bulbs not knowing about the hardiness and I feel bad about that because I'm sure there were some traders who was as disapointed as myself. Hope you don't mind the input.

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

Folks, these bulbs are supposed to be hardy into zone 3---maybe you weren't planting the deeply enough or something. None of you should have to lift them, or grow them in pots unless you just want to. They need to go into the ground at leaset six inches below the surface.

MsBatt, Where did you find that information? Everything I've seen posted here and elsewhere says that they are for areas with mild climates. I'm not doubting you, it would just be great to have the source to show on this thread. Plus, my mom would be delighted as she's in zone 5. :)

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

Would love some for sase if possible Please send address Thanks

I have some of these bulbs left for SASE. If anyone is still interested, please email me. I will probably be running out here shortly, though. I can't believe these have gone so far. I've sent out several hundred bulbs since I started this thread.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Have more left for me if you still have it??

Redrose, You want more? :) But of course. Send me more postage...I will send you more bulbs.

If I didn't know better, I'd think these little guys were multiplying in the bucket...there are so many of them.

Plymouth, PA(Zone 5b)

smiln32,

You got mail.
tamlamb

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

smilin32 any more left??? let me know
sue

Hey smiln32, any more left? (Hoping hoping hoping)...Let me know. Thanks!

Hardiness - yes, some sources indicate they are hardy to zone 3; others say they're hardy to zone 8. (Do a search for "Lycoris radiata hardiness" - no quote marks). I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between, and some species of Lycoris (most notably L. squamigera) appear to be hardy to much colder temps. My neighbor and several friends have these in their yards, so I'm confident they're hardy to at least zone 6b. (Here's hoping you still have some!)

You both have mail.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.