Anyone With Potatoe Vine To Share

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm looking for someone who might have Potatoe Vine to share/trade.
I have Conferderate Rose cuttings and Hummingbird Vine seed to trade.
I would like to get about 6 nice sized Potatoe Vines for a project I'm planning.

Mid Gulf Coast, TX(Zone 9b)

Good Morning!

Which potato vine are you refering to: air potato (Dioscorea bulbifera) or sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas)? (I don't know how to make italics!)

I have some air potato "potatoes" if you are interested.

TB

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Or regular potato vine like Solanum laxum http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2078/

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

All I know is it is a vine with Large heart shaped leaves, it does not flower. But those on the link are beautiful as well. Would like to have some of those too! LOL! Another addiction coming.
I just looked at the Dioscorea bulbifera, and that is the one I am especially looking for.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2010 10:06 AM

Mid Gulf Coast, TX(Zone 9b)

TX2

D-mail me with your mailing info and I'll be glad to send you some "potatoes"!!!

TB

casselberry, FL

hi lli have sweet potaotoe vines...the big green leaves that u r looking for...i have thebulds which r actually sweet pot *like* that grow under ground...i can send some i would love the humm.bird vine...and can u tell me does it like shade part shade or sun..im looking for vine that flowers that hummers and butterflies will like but need it for part shady area regardless i would love the humbird vine...let me know...thankz:)

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I think she wants the air potato.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I'd be very careful planting the Air Potato, it is very invasive.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I have the hardy Potato vine with the teensy white flowers and purple stem. It is hardy to zone 6 here in Pennsylvania.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Buttoneer, can you post a picture of the potato vine you have?

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

I have a few small tubers of Dioscorea bulbifera, but I would not recommend planting it in your area. Even here I grow it only in a hanging basket where I can control it and keep the bulbils from making contact with the ground.
Alana

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, it's Dioscorea batatas. Google it with images & you will see the pix.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Did you get the vine you were wanting?

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I lost all my old pix but when this vine starts flowering, I'll take more pix & include it here.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry I let this go lax for almost a year. Are you still interested in my potato vine? The potatoes I didn't pick up off the ground are germinating like crazy. I also have a vine that has green potatoes on it. Never was able to identify it. It's an indoor plant, you can root the leaves or stems or green potatoes it gets on it.

Cherry Grove, OH(Zone 6b)

Be careful with Dioscoreas in the South, they are reasonably easy to control here in 6b, but still require careful watching or contained plantings to stop them from spreading. Opositifolia (aka batatas), the most cold hardy species, has beautiful foliage, grand colors in the fall, a wonderful cinnamon scented flower and the added benefit of tasty tubers for the table.

I think the yams are great plants for the responsible gardener, but can become a mess if not controlled. In a Southern climate I'd be very careful where I planted this vine. (Actually, I'd probably not plant them.) Without a cold winter to help control it, it can easily get out of hand.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.