Cannas for 2010 - whose in?

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Can't wait to plant a menagerie of colors next spring!

This is off the track of canna's, but..............

Purple Wander Jew ....... last chance if anyone wants starts of this. It is going to be 32 or below for several nights starting Saturday. I will be letting these little babies die off if no one wants them. If you are interested, please d-mail me.

Crit

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Not sure if thats the plant I have or not, that purple wandering jew, but the one I had, I frosted its "cookies" inthe greenhouse last winter and it came back inthe spring! Mineis easy to root by cuttings in water.

Crit, show a pick of it, maybe you might get a taker!

This message was edited Nov 11, 2010 3:27 PM

Quote from Crit :
I don't have a pic, but it is on Plant Files here

It is going fast but still have some left. I just hate to see my babies die when it freezes!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is the one I have.. it was called sPurple Wandering Jew on the tag.. has another name.. I cant remember the spelling though transcandia or something of that nature.. does it look like this Crit? Mine gets pretty pink triangular flowers on the tips of it.

I was amazed it actually came back after "death" in the GPS! I had no clue on its hardiness! Makes a nice basket!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

That is Purple Heart Wandering Jew. It is very cold hardy and comes back every year here too. The one that I have is a vine type wandering jew. You can look it up on the plant files. I don't know how to put a plant file picture on here. Mine is considered more of a houseplant, but I plant it outside during the summer.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Yeah, they consider this one a houseplant too. I just did not have the room last year and it appeared to die on me and so I chucked the pot out there in the middle of winter thinking it was dead and I would get to cleaning the pot out come spring and low and behold the silly thing was saying howdy about the time I was wanting to clean out the GPS to get ready for the spring plants. Its huge this fall. I am not sure if it is typical for it to go dormant but if it looks like its croakign, I wil toss it out again and hope it comes back!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I moved my cannas indoors for storage. They are going in the crawlspace in their pots.. I will re-pot them in the spring. Hope they make it....

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Merry and Blessed Christmas!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Happy New Year! Guess its time to make a new thread...

Be back with the new link ASAP

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, cannas... out with the old and in with the new!

Its 2011... Guess we need a new link?

Well heres a link started for 2011... come on down!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1150859/

Ok, Jon, I got my loofa seeds soaking.. they will go in paks tomorrow or the next day. Guess I best think on what else to be starting....

So whats that new canna you sent me again Jon.. show us ok!

Cant wait for dirtygirls to come too.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2011 2:20 PM edited to add right link!

This message was edited Feb 12, 2011 2:27 PM

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well got DIRTYGIRLS cannas.. bunch to pot up.. hope its not goning to be too cold for them.

Drat, my loofas all damped off.. ugh. Gotta start more.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

bump

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, they are growing!! A few did not make it but by golly. most of them that got the spring frost did and teh new lot I got in is scrumpsheish!! Had a white one bloom and a red one, but they were kinda matted from shipping so I did not take [pictures of them and will do on the new growth! Im soooo anxiously awaiting!

So anyy o ne else startign a show?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

OMG! I am sooo hooked on these now.. gotta get more gotta get more!!!!!! Oh gotta get!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Blossombuddy, would you like me to send you a box of canna's? I'm digging up all the ones around this trailer and I'll need to send some to the trash or find homes. Have no idea as to names for them, but some are yellow with red dots, some are all red, some are red and yellow mixed flowers together on the same plant. Some have all green leaves, some have green leaves with red stripes and some have all red leaves and red flowers.
The picture is the red and yellow mixed.

Thumbnail by marti001
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

The one in the pic is Cleopatra! I would love her. you have Dmail Marti!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Heres a picture of the red ones with green leaves. The ones that have all red leaves are not blooming right now, but I'll watch for them.

Thumbnail by marti001
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I love that!

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

blossombuddy..almost same winter conditions as u here.. not quite as cold..
i grow alot of musafolia..for the tall plants..and banana foliage... tallest ones got over
10 ' this yr..and some of the rhysome clumps are huge.. i cut the stalks down 8" from base..
wash the soil off.. and dust with cinnamon..(helps prevent molding) and i store in my basement
in a cold room (around 45F).. they do great..rarely do i loose any..and ya end up with bigger and
ALOT more to plant the next yr..YEA !!!!
good luck to ya !!!!

Here is a link to a Thanksgiving Swap if anyone is interested.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1224241/#new

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Tropicalnut, im gonna dust them with DE. Mya biggest issue is critters.. ants in particular. we live on the perverbial ant hill.. thank goodnes they are not fire ants but long about the end of march hat is when they start hatching in the house.. eeks! Last year I had good luck storing the cannas. I am soo looking forward to doign them again next year. Cant wait to get Martis!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Got martis a short while back.. I still have aone blooming in my pots.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I still have alot of canna's if someone is interested. Maybe Cleopatra. They have no tags but I did post pictures of what they look like.
This is one picture

Look above for other pictures.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2011 1:18 PM

Thumbnail by marti001
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Marti, thanks for sending me mine! That pic you got there is of Cleopatra!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I hope I sent you enough of the different colored ones. I tried to put in some of the ones with all red leaves. I just saw some canna's that are orange flowers with colorfull striped leaves. Very pretty. I'm going to see if I can get a couple. The place were it is growing has a rather large clump of them.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh that sounds so pretty.. Id take more...but I already owe you for these so bare with me.

marti ... If you have any left, I would love to have some canna starts. About the only ones I have are yellow with orange spots, dark pink with darker pink spots and yellow.

Thanks!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Crit, I thought I sent you something. Not canna's? Well, I put some in a box for you and get them in the mail next week when my check gets here.

Hmmmm, will have to check on that. I did receive a box of some kind of roots but there was no note or anything with it. Maybe those were it. LOL I'll let you know.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, I just saw a to die for canna.. it was a green and white varigated variety.... anyone got it? Not green and yellow varigated, but white! WOW!

I am in the process of storging all the cannas I have.. I cannot beleive I still have a couple that are blooming.. they were in cans and brought inside our shed and saved from the frost! Most of the others have been cut back and drying out....

marti .... I don't find any canna's I received from you. If you don't have enough, don't worry about it. Keep what you need for yourself!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Crit, I have LOTS of canna's. They are still blooming. I will get some out to you. Would you like me to wait until spring? That way you don't have to worry about them during the winter. Or should I ship now?

Whichever is easier for you is fine with me!!! Thanks so much!

I am getting ready to take the ones I have in pots out and store them. I like to wait until the first frost and let the vegetation die back.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I'll send them in the spring that way you will not have to worry about storing them this winter. Next winter your on your own. Thats one thing I like about Calif, I don't have to store bulbs and things. Just leave them alone and they come back in the spring. I'm also trying to get a few different canna's to send to you. I saw some that I think are "Tropicania". and will try to get a few of them for people.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.