I. cordatatriloba trying something new

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I have a massive, runaway bunch of I. cordatatriloba that eats my hedge rose every year. In fact, this morning glory is trying to eat Summerville. It's everywhere!

So I'm always on the lookout for mutations and I'm finding some this year. The main one is a whole passel of flowers without the red throat.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm also getting a lot of variations on petal shape and all around flower shape.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I tried for 3 years to whittle this monster down by going out every day and pulling off flowers so it couldn't make seeds. It didn't even make a dent. So I finally decided to let it go and enjoy it.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Mesilla Park, NM

How interesting that you got that mutation, it has a nice light center. Are you going to bag that one?

I'm having a time controlling mine also. I pulled out the mature vines out by the roots and leave only a couple of small seedlings each year. This is what I've got in the front yard and have a cattle panel full in the back yard.

I noticed that the millions of seeds that fell on the ground last year stayed on top of the soil, the minute they got a little water, several started to germinate. So they sit around waiting to germinate..lol, even the hot summer didn't do a thing to them to ruin them as they sat there dry on top of the soil. I've got to do something so that they dont' go over into the farmer's fields here.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Bag them? What? Are you crazy woman? Lol .. actually I thought about it .. I might sequester a few tonight and hand pollinate tomorrow .. I'm using those little organza bags for pollinating and seed collecting and they are working out really, REALLY well!

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Mesilla Park, NM

I've got major problems with this one here.. it is being sold on ebay all the time, what they do for the love of $$$$..

A.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm just waiting to see kudzu on ebay.

Mesilla Park, NM

Let's see who spots it first..lol.. I wouldn't doubt it if someone didn't try to sell it as ground cover or as a cascading over walls vine..lol

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

X - That is really something how those I. cordatatriloba vine blooms are mutating! Regardless of their invasiveness, they are truly beautiful! I am a sucker of soft pink blooms! :-)

My saying ... In one person's yard a showcase plant, in another an invasive weed! LOL!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well the truth is, there are probably over 20 separate vines from seed growing on this hedge and older vines that have been there for a long time that come back every year .. the sheer size and number pretty much insures you'll see differences.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

the vine is covering a hedge rose that goes the whole length of the yard. The picture is from 2 years ago, but you can see how long and high the hedge rose is. The mg's cover the whole thing every year.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

OH MY!!!! That is quite a double duty hedge you got there. Rose hedges underneath those massive vines! Unbelievable! Very pretty and sure looks like it gives you some privacy!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

It's actually a triple duty .. in the spring the hedge rose (rosa multiflora) blooms for a few weeks and has an awesome fragrance, then the honeysuckle kicks in for the summer then the morning glory.

It definitely adds a lot of privacy. Wish it was on both sides.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I love my I. cordatatriloba.. it is in a big tub on the patio and is blooming nicely. I love the different leaves on them. I am thinking of bringing it in, since I am sure they wont winter over in this state. I love how yours has followed the hedge.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I love them too .. the color blending is beautiful .. but it's kind of scary to see something get so out of hand .. as I said, it's everywhere in Summerville. This is why I will not put vines in the ground.

Container gardening DOES have it's advantages! LOL! I grow some beauties... but only in my self-watering buckets. Even if I had the perfect in-ground soil composition here, I'd still grow the invasive plants in containers! LOL! Many of which I have been doing for years! The other big advantage is being able to move the plants. I can rearrange my garden beds to create a totally different look! It doesn't get any better than that! Can you tell I am an advocate for container gardening! LOL! Maybe it is good fortune that I have to grow most of my plants in containers (due to the horrible soil and bad nematodes here)? I am beginning to think so!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

My biggest problem with container gardening is that some of the plants, like my abutilon after a few years get too big to be happy in containers.

LOL! So true! But I have found that if you prune roots as well as the branches that it does help keep them smaller in size.

You'll laugh at this, I didn't know that abutilon are perennials. All that I have grown were annuals. They are in the same family as hibiscus, but never last more than one year here. :-/

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

They are suppose to be hardy in my zone but I haven't tried it. So many things that are suppose to be hardy in my zone just plain aren't.

More plants than are supposed to, grow in my zone! LOL! I have a list of plants I've been told won't grow in the heat here. LOL! Well, guess what? They do!!! And they do so rather nicely, especially in pots. Now when someone tells me that a certain plant won't grow in my zone, I immediately want to find seeds for it and grow it to see for myself! :-D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.