Do you attend or participate in a fair or harvest festival?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 96 votes:

I participate on a local level with my entries. (tell us!)
(5 votes, 5%)
Red dot

I love attending fairs and festivals.
(55 votes, 57%)
Red dot

I'm a big competitor and participate on a regional or state level.
(3 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I've never attended a fair or harvest festival.
(27 votes, 28%)
Red dot

This year, I'm entering the Dave's Garden Pixel County Fair!
(6 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

What is Dave's Garden Pixel County Fair? I searched DG for it and got "0" results...

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I used to participate in our local fair, entering canned goods, produce, and crafts. That was several years ago and now I no longer even go to the fair - partly because my kids are grown and out, partly because our local fair became too commercialized over the years, but I suppose mostly because I no longer have much interest in it. I voted for the first one, even though it didn't quite fit.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Hey Susie, here's some more information. I saw it in the discussion phase earlier...but didn't realize that it had come to fruition.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1128987/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1110290/

Me on the other hand...never even heard of a harvest festival, will have to look into it! Susanne

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

I grew mentally and physically into the growing of giant pumpkins for five years. They were entered and registered in the National and World Weigh Off Events for Atlantic Giant Pumpkins. Mine and that of a person I coached ended up being respectable at or near one thousand pounds. My best Long Gourd was best in Pennsylvania the year of entry at ninety eight inches. The genetics in the seed to follow produced more over a hundred inches than any seed registered at that time. My best tomato was five pounds one ounce witnessed but never weighed officially. It came to early to compete on the National date.

Thumbnail by docgipe
Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I've heard of fairs and harvest festivals, but don't think anything like that exists in South Florida. Of course harvest time is completely different down here. We're planting/growing and harvesting vegetables during the winter.

Here is the answer. The three largest ones are over a thousand pounds each grown in the Northeast and carved by Dan Cully employed by Harry and David of West Coast fame. The gentleman carver Mr. Dan Cully is in the world book of facts for carving nine world records.

Thumbnail by docgipe

The answer was.....about three thousand pumpkin pies it that totem pole. And then there were the mildly insane Pumpkin Regattas.

Thumbnail by docgipe
Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, docgipe. Just. . .WOW! Those are some pretty amazing stats!

I used to enter canned and baked goods in our county and state fair, when I was in 4-H as a student, but I haven't since I reached adulthood. I have no idea how you even go about entering outside of 4-H!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love going to harvest fests. We usually have a ton around here, hubby is always complaining they have to have a festival for everything. Which is pretty much true. 1st weekend in October there's a Cranberry festival in the town south of us.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here's the link to the Fair: http://davesgarden.com/contest/2010-daves-garden-county-fair/

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Lots of fairs and festivals in these parts.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I chose the "love attending fairs and festivals" because I do. In fact, we're having an Apple Festival here on the Cape this Saturday, Sept. 25, from noon to 4 pm on the village green in Dennis, MA (sponsored by Dennis Union Church) and you are all invited!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Wonderful!
Wish I could be there. I love festivals!

louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I love going to the Kentucky State Fair. There are lots of large blooms in vases off the various outside plants. Inside plants are represented also. Most of them have odd shapes and are very unusual and fun to look at. I am always amazed at the various crafts and other projects the people of Kentucky achieve. Lots of talented people out there.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm going to "Festival in the Park" here in Charlotte, NC this very morning!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

They had an Italian Festival today at our county park

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Honey - I was there too. Drove up from Hillsborough Friday night.
It sure was hot.
Beautiful park.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Love going to local festivals. Just went to the Shrimp & Grits fest on Jekyll Island and had a really good time and ate the best shrimp & grits I have ever had. In a couple of weeks we will have what is called "Stewbalee" (not sure about the spelling) but it's a contest in Brunswick GA as who can make the best Brunswick Stew. If there is something to eat around here....there's a festival LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.