Sarracenias flowering

north coast nsw, Australia

here's some pic's of my sarras flowering and starting to grow back now its spring here.
This is a low growing red purpurata cross which has no pitchers yet just a flower.

This message was edited Sep 17, 2010 5:22 PM

This message was edited Sep 17, 2010 5:22 PM

Thumbnail by breeindy

Leucophylla

Thumbnail by breeindy

Mooreana x (Minor x Excellens).

This message was edited Sep 17, 2010 5:19 PM

Thumbnail by breeindy

Flava var. Rubricorpora

Thumbnail by breeindy

see the fly, because the flowers smell like a yukky sweaty smell to attract flys and bugs i guess.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Arlington, TX

Lovely, I have a couple and they are relatively young. There were no flowers this spring...maybe next spring.
C

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

VERY nice! Sadly, we're starting fall here and things are starting to whined down....

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Those flowers are really amazing. Thanks for sharing.

In Florida it is so hot and miserable in the summer that a lot of the plants shut down in the summer. I often get new growth and flowers in the fall and then they shut down around December/January when we get some cold weather. By February they are in bloom again.

really! i'd have thought sarracenias could with stand it. As long as there in water.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

We are very dry during the winter, but in the summer we measure our rain by the feet. So my Sarracenia get lots of water, and they are in trays or pools, but even then they get very tired during the peak heat of summer. As soon as our temps drop below 110 heat index, they perk up and look lovely again. A few of the Sarracenia don't care about the heat like the Daina's Delight and Scarlet Belle, which are always lovely. Mine may have shown wear this year, because I didn't get out and weed like I should. With 110 heat index, it isn't safe for people. We have super high humidity. In the morning in the summer we are already at high eighties with heat indexes approaching 95 by 9 AM.

A couple weeks ago I weeded for three hours, and pulled all the stuff out of my pools.

Had to cut some and bring them inside. The faint B.O smell isnt very nice though. hehe!

Thumbnail by breeindy
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Most people around here think flavas smell like cat pee. :) Rubras smell good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.