free coleus cuttings

Lost all mine! I have some little ones coming up from seed, don't know what they will be. They are volunteers from last year.

Jupiter, FL

Rene 10 If you are ever traveling thru Jupter let me know. I will hand you some over my fence :)

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

I would love some cuttings if any left.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

No coleus, so far, this year. I did plant my watermelons in home made earth boxes and they are doing great.

I don't have a photo of the boxes so I will send a old photos of some over wintered plants at a nursery.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Hope I can do that next year down here.

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

If you do this again this year can I get some?

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday, sugarweed! Hope you had a good one.

Thanks FOV, I woke up 65 and it was painless.
Sidney

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

way to go Sidney!!! Happy Birthday!

Thanks,
In Sept I will be accepting cuttings to over winter.
At that time I'll post a new thread.
Sidney

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I would like to know when do you start to root the cuttings, It does not freeze here till November. Just before freezing or can start in October. Thanks for answer, if anybody has it. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I would take them in September, Etelka, just to be safe. If any fail you would still have time to take more. One year I waited too long and it wasn't good at all.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Just my 2 cents, Kiseta. Take some cuttings now and practice! All of my coleus could use a trim or pinch here and there and will fill in quickly by fall.

One advantage of taking cuttings now is that they will root so readily while soil and air temps are well above fifty. And, they can live outside until time to come in. When it is time to come in those cuttings should be robust enough to take cuttings from them!

Or take two or three from each now and then each week and see which ones are in the best shape for over wintering. I am talking rooting in soil not water.

Would be good to here from Sydney or Dale as their zone conditions are more like yours (tropical) than Pirl's or mine. Be sure to pinch out the growing tip on your cuttings

In any event, have fun! Coleus are very forgiving plants.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you both, very much. I already tried to root cuttings in dirt, some failed so I know how it feels to try and not get good results. I bought some of the Rutone, does that help or it is a overrated thing. Today I went to a large nursery and they had 4 for 10 doll. coleus, very large, that I don't have and all I can think, wow, I can have so many cuttings from tham. Do you keep them under light over the winter, or just at a good window. ?? Thanks again, Etelka

Buy a bag of soil-less mix, Etelka. Like Miracle Gro or any similar brand will do. Put your cuttings into damp (not drenching wet) mix and either outside in shade or, if you wish, in a sunny window. They can be grown under lights but that's not required. They root so easily that there's no need for the hormone powder.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi Pirl, I was just looking today how to move furniture in the livingroom to get closer to the two windows I have. In this little house (and little mortgage, thank God) and the large oak tree, I have to use any space to get some light. It is true that the oak tree sheds its leaves in the winter, but it is still nicer when I don't have shelving and plant lights front of every window. I guess I can use the mud room and set up some shelving there. I discovered coleus this year and I just love them. Thank you again for your help. Sleep good, hope the deers leave your plants alone. Etelka

If your windows are low enough and you have a picnic bench you can bring inside, you can put a pretty tablecloth (even plastic is fine) over it and keep your plants at the window.

Thumbnail by pirl
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I am planning on mailing some cuttings and am not sure how to package them. Will wet paper towels wrapped in newspaper be enough?

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I would love to join the coleus cuttings list....plezzzzzzzz

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Pirl, is soilless mix something like peat moss, because I have a large bag of it??

In the South we have a great deal of dampness and fungus which rootone does help overcome.
I always use Miracle Grow Potting soil, and usually with moisture control.

As for mailing cuttings I have found taking 10 inch cuttings as I would gathering a bouquet, then putting them in a one gallon zip lock bag with some air blown in it works well.
I cut after the morning dew is dry and keep them out of any sunlight.
I then put them in a free Priority Mailer and ship.
The postage is usually less than $7.00.

Hope this helps.
Sidney

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for sharing your shipping method, Sugarweed. I'll give that a try. I am guessing I don't put holes in the zip lock to keep the moisture in.

I appreciate it.

Don't put holes or any moisture in the ziplock. Just blow into the bag and seal.
Sidney

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Well then, that means don't wrap in damp paper towels???

I don't, but it's just a matter of preference.
I have done all of that in the past and find it just adds weight.
I have mailed to a friend overseas and with her instruction I didn't wrap with wet anything. Just put in Ziploc and mail.
They arrive just fine.
Wooter who is the web master at Coleus Finder, http://www.coleusfinder.org/pictures.php?table_next_page=2 , says blowing into the bag before sealing supplies carbon monoxide for their trip. I also avoid letting the sun hit them directly before getting them in the box.
I just sent this to a friend who is sending me some;
These are the boxes I use;
https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10052&productId=10000250&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10000002&top_category=10000002&categoryId=10000033&top=¤tPage=0&sort=&viewAll=Y&rn=CategoriesDisplay&WT.ac=10000250
They are delivered free and as coleus cuttings in a 1.5 gallon Ziploc don't weigh much, the postage is always less than $10. including delivery confirmation.
You can order packs of 10 or 25 boxes free from the PO and if you can weigh the box and print a label, they will pick them up free. The boxes have very strong peel and stick tape on both ends so no tape needed. I also write addresses on the box so no label is needed.
I don't have that printing capabilities so I cut and mail on Saturday morning. The PO has less mail on Saturdays so I usually get them delivered on Monday. I learned the Saturday shipping trick from Rosey Dawn.
I hope this helps,
Sidney

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I must give it a try. Thanks ever so Sid. Are there any restrictions for mailing abroad? This is why I have steered away from traders outside the US.

Oh yes, many countries don't want any soil mail into their borders.
This is the only smuggling I do! How can I deny a fellow Coleus Addict???
You can call Fed Ex and ask them. They will know.
Sidney

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Sid. I appreciate you knowledge.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Hi every one. Well it is time again to say adieu to my coleus beauties this year and as I put them to bed I will again have cuttings to share as I can't just put them in the compost bin!

So, if you want some, please let me know asap as I would hope to ship this Sat or following Mon.
for postage.

I also have cuttings of plectranthus "Mona Lavender" to share. It is the blue flowered plant in my
coleus bouquet.

Just sent a Dmail blast to 16 of you who have showed an interest or got some last year.

As I say goodbye to this season, I dream of some of these snow bird coleus returning in April!!!

Hope all stay well and warm.

Judy

This message was edited Oct 17, 2011 7:54 PM

Thumbnail by coleup
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

It's hard to say adieu to them to quickly die outside when I can kill them slowly in the house.GRIN

I try to plant the rooted cuttings in window boxes to keep as many as possible. My best grower is Henna. She did well last winter and thrived all summer, so I'd better keep close tabs.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

lol Cathy I learned many years ago that over wintering coleus in my house just doesn't work for me so, glad to have them travel to where they will be happy and live long and prosper!

And sorry, I posted the wrong pic above. Here is the correct one

Thumbnail by coleup
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Just wondering will the seed be true or not?

No. But you may get a new cultivar.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.