ID please

Mulberry, FL

Hi I have just bought one had one few years back and killed it. Going to try again I gave it well water and didn't check the pictures to see if they needed any water here it is I think maybe its the same as rentman's I am hoping this ones a start of others

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Arlington, TX

Picture is pretty blurry. looks like sanguinia (sp) to me but I have little expertise about them. There is a website that has great pics for ID but I dont recall the name, you might search a little to see. Good luck with this one, no more well water.
Cheryl

Mulberry, FL

Sorry see if this is better

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Where did you get the plant? That sometimes helps in ID. Like if it is bought at Wal-mart it is a Nepenthes ventratra (N. ventricosa X N. alata) or it is a N. miranda (although the one in the picture is definitely not a miranda).

Well water will kill it in FLorida, since we have such high amounts of lime, calcium, . . . Rainwater or distilled water are a better choice. I grow my N. ventrata outside in a tree until the temps drop below 35.

Mulberry, FL

I got it from a side of the road deal couple women selling them Thanks for the info

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

They sure look like Nepenthes ventrata to me, and if they are, they grow great in Florida and are very easy to grow from cuttings. Usually Walmart carries these by the hundreds, and they really are super easy to grow in Florida. They are considered intermediate Nepenthes, which means that they grow half way up the mountain in their native habitat. Perfect for Florida because they like it hot and humid and can handle temps to 33. Low are from the bottom of the mountains and don't tolerate temps below 60 degrees. Highlands are plants at the top of the mountains, and don't like being over 80 and like to be cool at night. The highlands are hard to grow in Florida unless they are indoors in a cool greenhouse. They would do well under grow lights in an air conditioned house.

Mulberry, FL

Thanks for the info! I see you have done your homework These will make it then

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes, Danas that does look like the one I have, which is now divided into three plants.
I only use rain water (and need to collect more).
Check this site for information on CP.

http://cpphotofinder.com/

Mulberry, FL

Thank you for the info i will read up!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.