cuttings of pitcher plant

Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

hey all. I took a cutting of a pitcher plant about two weeks ago. I have no clue which plant it is...just that it is a pitcher plant..one that hangs and gets pitcher off the ends of the leaves. I put it in water immediately. It seemed to be doing ok for the first two weeks, but, today I noticed some of the leaves looking kind of yellowish, and droopy. One of the leaves was brown. I took that leaf off and discarded it. I change the water about twice a week. There are no signs of roots yet either. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Sounds like a Nepenthes.

Next time take a cutting about 4-6 inches long. Remove the bottom third of the leaves. Cut a 45 degree angle at the end and stick in a moist mix of perlite and peat moss. DO NOT use Miracle grow stuff as it contains fertilizer (grrrrrrr!) and will kill the plant. Put in a bright spot OUT of direct Sun and wait. Keep soil moist, not soggy.

Arlington, TX

Nepanthes for indoors and Saracenia for outside.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Mine root in about 4 weeks to 3-4 months depending on the species. Some will root in water, but I find the method that Tommy mentioned above more reliable. I sometimes put it in straight perlite. I often cut the 8' vines off my N. ventrata, and cut the pieces into 6" pieces, and then root them all.

Arlington, TX

I definately need to find a nice ventrata to grow.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Keep checking your walmart. They frequently sell ventrata and miranda which are super easy to grow.

My first CP was a N. ventrata. I bought it at a flea market. It had 8' long vines. I trimmed them frequently and replanted them. Unfortunately, last winter did a terrible job on her. I almost lost her and luckily she started regrowing in the spring. Now she is 6" long. But at least she survived.

north coast nsw, Australia

Hi! im about to take some cutting of my n. fusca and maxima x talengensis, springs just starting and im just wondering if its warm enough yet. Last cuttings i took i put in straight sphagnum moss and they rooted pretty quick in my greenhouse. I'll keep you's posted on these cuttings.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

That is a beautiful plant. Next time you do cuttings, could you make a thread and show in pictures how you do it? I bet that would help with a lot of questions. I may do that soon.

I am teaching a class on Carnivorous Plant Propagation in October at a local library.

Yes will do. Though i don't do much, just cut, dust in rooting powder and stick in moss and wait.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I think pictures would help, and I know you are pretty successful. I am still elarning. I have about 50% success depending on the species.

Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

I pulled off all the brown and yellow leaves, and my cutting is still hanging on. still no signs of roots though. I bought some chemical free perlite and peat moss. What mix is best 50%/50%? Id like to transfer it to a perlite and peat moss mix too see if it does any better.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

50/50 is perfect.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I keep it in straight perlite or if it is N. ventrata, I put it in water until it roots. I have had brown vines sprout, so don't give up. It has taken as long as 3 months.

When I tried to put unrooted cuttings into the standard peat and perlite mix, I couldn't keep it wet enough to get them to root. But I know other people have had success where I haven't.

Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

Thanks for all the info guys. It is now in a 50/50 mix. We will see what happens. I also had a rhipsalis cutting that was starting to root that I transfered to this mix to see if the rhipsalis do better in this mix then in my miracle grow soil I normally use. Im glad soemone mentioned not to put it in miracle grow, as that is exactly what I would have done.

Fertilizers and carnivorous plants are a questionable subject. I personlly dont use fertilizers though some growers swear by it. Some c.ps can handly them and some can't, think i killed my Albany pitcher plant by getting weak fertilizer on it when watering my orchids. Neps leaves can be sprayed with weak fertilizer but i wouldn't put it in the soil mix of any c.p. Esp. slow release fertilizers which are alot of the times working when the plants dormant and doesn't need fertilizer.
I plant my cuttings in straight sphagnum moss, like a orchid when you want to promote root growth, only orchids rot easier than neps.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I use weak orchid fertilizers on my Neps. but rarely and never on the soil. I find that too much fertilizer on the Neps keeps them from pitchering. They don't need to work as hard to get the nutrients they need.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.