If it frost

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

It is supposed to frost early next week and I need to know if the morning glory seeds, calla lily seeds and a few others will ripen even if it frost? I must have 9 millions seed pods on the mg. I have black eyed susan also and hate to loose all the seeds to frost.

HELP

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

The black-eyed Susan's will be fine. I think the morning glories will be killed by frost and that might kill any undeveloped seeds - I'm not sure tho - ya better get a second opinion. I don't have a clue on the calla lilies.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

If your seed pods are yellowed or brown on the morning glory,then they are safe to pick off and continue drying inside.If they are still green ,then it's not much use in trying to save them. If only a frost is called for and not a freeze,you could wrap the vine in a blanket or comforter.That may protect it enough to keep it alive for another week or two,and that may let more seeds ripen.With big plants or vines,I usually enlist help in covering them and use several blankets if it is something that I really want to keep alive.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks guys for the help.

Marion, IA(Zone 5a)

We had an unexpected early (light) frost that killed some of the leaves of my MG vines but the seeds seem fine and continue to turn yellow and brown. I was glad because I also have about a million seed pods on top of what I've already collected!

Midland, PA

What about cosmos and zinnia? Mine were killed by the frost and I have gathered the seeds that looked ok from the Cosmos. The zinnia were still blooming - will the seeds be ok or should I pitch them now and hope for an SASE from another gardener?

Circleville, OH(Zone 8b)

Hi brad

I have a ton of Zinnias that got hit by frost and a good part of mine were far enought along that the seeds seem to be fine.

Once the seeds dry if they turned light brown to black the seeds should be good if you seperate some and there is not much color then those didn't.

As I said I have tons if you need some for SASE, LMK thanks Mike

Midland, PA

Mike,

I'm going to take a few and do the test on the wet papertowels and see what I get. If they fail, I'll send you an email "begging" for some. Thank you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.