My coleus

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks. From March to June I generally work 8 to 12 hours a day outside. Now we've hired a nice young man to help us on Saturdays and he does a wonderful job with whatever tasks we give him.

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

Well count me in for the tour next year! I'm going to win the hunt too! I like to win !!!! AND i love cookies too!

Cookies, a treasure hunt and FLOWERS...OH MY!

I'll be in heaven!!! count me in baby!

Ummm, do we get to pick the flowers..lol

Funny! I think the people who organize the garden tour have had enough. It's difficult to get new people to be agreeable to allow tours. I have no idea if they expect others to be trampling flower beds or what their problem is but I doubt it will happen again.

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

WHAT!!! NOOOOOOOO!

Well then i shall accept your invite of a private tour with cookies! Of course we will consider me the winner and I will collect my prize!..LOL

Picking flower shall remain optional and will be bug free!

JM

Certainly! Just call first to be sure we'll be home.

Feel free to cut some dahlias to take home but check for bugs first.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Gee NY banned Imidacloprid and Califonria hasn't! I wonder if they will soon too. What is it supposed to do that is so bad? I am just thrilled with it for no spray. I always manage to spray myself in the face with the insecticides so I try not use kinds you have to spray. I also like I one application lasts up to a year.

I used to try to winter over my coleus. Never happened. By February they would go to coleus heaven. So I do not even try anymore. Too much hassle, no gain.

I think it was the bee issue and that has proved untrue according to the last article I read. Sprays are a problem for me as well. A recent run-in with Round Up left me dizzy, with blurred vision and not feeling great so I switched to vinegar, which still hasn't worked.

Once a year would be a great convenience.

My coleus do best in a northwest window, definitely not a south facing window!

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

Are they not just as cheap to buy the plugs come spring time? or is it just the challege of something to do in the winter? I know I will have enough to do judt try to set up a growing system and reading up everything i can about WS...My goal is to buy a few as possible this year and work on the pavers ---the set up of the back yard I know once I get it the way I want it to look hubby will be ready to move!! lol

JM

Well, 200 plants from Rosy Dawn, at $3.75 each would be...$750.00 so I'd say it's worth trying to keep them alive over winter.

Gee, if hubby decides to move won't he miss you?

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

well who buys 200 plants?? Thats alittle OCD'ish............Where would you put them all?!? Thats an awful lots of pots for that many plants!!

jm

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

JM, I am sugarweed and I am addicted to coleus. Have had over 1,000 coleus in years past, LOL.
;)

You asked why we'd bother holding them over all winter long so I was just explaining. I did put out more than 200 plants in May. Over 150 were gift cuttings in a big box from Dale and the others were my own. Many are in the ground and won't be coming back inside.

I did apply some Bayer Rose and Flower Care for a coleus with mealybugs to see if it would kill what's there. When I see what happens with the plant I'll post the results.

After your post, Sugarweed, I feel like a piker with only 200!

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

Get out....Where the heck do you put them? Plant them in the ground or pots cuz' thats an awful lot of pots!

JM

Most are in the ground and only a few are in pots - maybe 20 pots.

I mass plant in a looooooooooong bed the state owns on the front of my property.
If I can get them overwintered till March I can root cuttings and get 20 or more from each good sized plant.
Sidney

Many of mine, planted in attached brick planters back in May, are large enough to give 20 cuttings each but holding them over would be the major problem.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well Sidney and Arlene, she is not hooked yet. Maybe you two should go gentle until she is and then look out. I am going to try cutting again this year and am getting ready to make some new plants. Probably next week. I picked out a couple of beauties this year.

My Asthma is now under control and I am ready for my spring gardening, which is Las Vegas is October and November.

Take care, Sharon

Most addictions come on slowly so JM won't even know what's happening until she has 100 of them.

The cuttings I took more than a month ago and put in old coffee mugs are all doing well and not a sign of mealybugs so I just might let them continue to exist that way for as long as possible.

Glad to hear your asthma is under control and that you're busy with spring planting as we're enjoying the colorful dahlias here and the coleus that are fabulous by the end of summer.

Pirl/Arlene

Thumbnail by pirl

Oh, yeah I know I could easily have that 1,000 in 10 days with no problem.
Hopefully we will have another 11 weeks of pretty coleus/brugmansia weather.
The state and city are getting ready to put a meandering sidewalk across the land they own. That's why I have only perennials there for the last 3 years.
Sidney

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

OK, you two experts. What do you think if I use a 18" pot to hold 5 cuttings per pot. I have 6 pots. Then I place a root feeder in each pot. You put the water in the tube and it comes out at the bottom of the pot. I could place a wick to help upward movement or would I need that? My brilliant mind thinks it would eliminate the gnats and wilt.

Wilt? I haven't had that yet unless you mean the first hour after taking a cutting. I've never heard of the root feeder. Do you have a link to a site or a photo of it?

I haven't had the greatest luck using 11" wide containers - too many mealybugs.

Are these containers for indoor or outdoor use?

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

IM GOING TO TAKE SOME CUTTING TO OVER WINTER...... YEAH!!!!!

YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF ME, THIS WAS A BIG DECSION...WOOOO-WOOOO

JM

I'LL TAKE PPICS AFTER IM DONE!!

Are you going to plant them in pots?

Sharon, can I think on it for a few days? LOL

Today I had a notice that the project starts the 20th and will be finished in the Spring of 2011.
I am to have all plants I want saved removed by Sept 20th.
or they will be removed by the contractor.
I have a beautiful little Orangeola Lace Leaf Japanese Maple that must be moved. 3 Hydrangeas, and a Brug that's been there for 7 years.
I also have a Native American spiritual area that has 4 River Birch and my family rocks in the middle. I will definitely get the rocks.
;)

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Yes, you can have a few days. Go get your rocks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.