extending seasons; both early and late

Seattle, WA

Hello,

I have a new "hoop house" greenhouse erected here in the Rockies at 6,500 feet. I have raised beds and no electricity or heat. The growth this summer was awesome ( pole beans to ten feet, and harvesting off a ladder etc.) but the temps at night are cooling off and I want to extend the growth as far as I can since I have so many green tomatoes.

We have 4 raised beds 2-3 x 24 and I want to learn about pushing the growth in both Spring and Fall since I see it would not be hard to double the growth season because it can be so short at this altitude, in the Rockies. I have heard of "tunnels" with ReMae which normally can be used in Spring outside to protect plants. Is it reasonable to believe that using it inside in a greenhouse, with no heat outside of thermal warming, may work succesfully? The sun here is so bright at this altitude that often inside the greenhouse the air temperature was in the 112 to 120 degree area. This astonished me, but the plants seemed to love it as the ground temperature stayed in the 80's all summer. The air thermometer was at the peak of the roof.

If anyone has practical experience in this area, I'd appreciate your sharing it with me.

Gene So

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I had some success with jugs of water to absorb heat during the day and releasing at night, a passive solar heat. I did not get me through the coldest days, or on cloudy days. I had to resort to a small electric heater. On sunny days it kept my inside temps at least 10 degrees above the outside temp at night.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Another thought, I've read that raised beds cool down quickly in the winter, so mulching around them could help keep in heat.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

There are a few ways to help keep warm air in the greenhouse during the cold nights.
#1. Placing roofing felt along the bottom walls of the greenhouse.
#2. painting 55 gallon drums black and filling them with water = will absorb heat and release warmth at night.
#3 yes, remae helps protect plants at night. But I have seen some install iron rods into the beds and lay blanket
comforters over the plants and this was much better ( thrift store shopping)
#4. Cover poly hoop house with large TArp at night to help hold heat in----then take off 1st thing in morn.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I used old sleeping bags, I have gotten some great deals at Goodwill. Instead of comforters. With jugs of water.
Lisa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.