Check out my Sword Bean Vine (Canavalia Gladiata) !!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

My sword bean vine is really beginning to bloom quite well. I love it. The blooms are over an inch in diameter. And it forms huge bean pods (about a foot long and an inch in diameter). It makes large pink beans, about an inch or so long and almost an inch in diameter. Even old beans germinate readily. This vine was from beans I've had for about 5 years. Every bean I planted germinated in a few days.

It's very drought tolerant too. And I haven't seen any insects munching on it other than those pesky grasshoppers.

The blooms are so pretty. I'll have to check and see if they're fragrant.

NancyAnn

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

This picture shows the enormous bean pod which isn't mature yet.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Blackshear, GA

I am waiting for mine to bloom, hopefully not much longer. I already had beans this time last year.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 9a)

NancyAnn, when you get some seeds, could I trade for some?

Betsy

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

We'll see if I get seeds. It takes a while for the pods to mature and winter may get them before I get many seeds. The last time I grew it, only one pod was able to mature before winter. Hopefully I'll get more this year. The vine is enormous with many pods but they're all small right now. I'll let you know, Betsy.

I'm kind of disappointed because there aren't many blooms considering how much foliage I have--just a couple of blooms here and there at one time, not really a good flush all at once.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Nancy, I would like to trade for 2 or 3 sds too. Sending you a Dmail

Jackie

Stewart, TN

Where did you get the seeds? I've not seen that vine before - quite beautiful!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.