Need some ideas

Chicago Suburbs, IL(Zone 5b)

This became a plant orphanage a couple years ago where I would put plants that were thinned from my main garden or plants I was not sure if I liked. Now it a jumbled mess, not to mention I had almost no time for gardening this summer :( This is what it looks like right now.

This area really needs to be redone. I really am stumped at what to plant in this location. This is the SW corner of a building, once the trees overhead fill in during late spring it gets strong dappled shade through the day. Then around 3-4ish sun until sunset. The soil tends to be very dry.

The area in the pink outline is what I need help with. I don't like the way it looks and I don't know what to put there. It can be annual or perennials as long as they will do well in dry soil that does not get watered very often. I am in N. IL zone 5b/6a depending on who you ask.

Thumbnail by plexippus
This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!