Is it too late to cut back?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a Jackmanii and Crimson king and both had a handful of blooms... should I cut them back now?

I'm in zone 9.

Betsy

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I usually cut back my Jackmanii 3-4 times a growing season, after the blooms. I think there would still be time for one more show before winter.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I also cut mine back continually.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

This might be a stupid question, but at to what point or where do you cut back clematis in the middle of a growing season. Is this a necessary procedure after flowering? I got clems that are just branching out like gang busters without cutting them back.

If they are blooming beautifully and they don't interfere with anything then let them be and enjoy them.

Normally, most are cut back by about a third after the May/June bloom period.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the explanation. I usually just dead head the spent blooms and some minor pruning.

Here is Comtesse de Bouchaud I rescued from a nursery and planted late last month. It was all brown and almost dead but the root system was huge in a 2 gallon container. They were selling them at $3.99. A drastic markdown from the original price of $24.99. Now it'growing again happily in it's new home.

The trellis by the way is from the same nursery. Believe it or not, they have them on cllearance for just $5. Bought a total of 5 trellises for $5 each, and of course 5 different clematis for just $3.99 each.

Thumbnail by Tex68
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Great deal! I never see those deals around here. Whatever you are doing works well. I say don't fix what's not broke.

Looks great. I don't find bargains like that either!

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

I am fascinated to see that some of you prune your Clematis plants several times yearly! I have grown Clematis for a long time and absolutely love them! I can hardly wait to use pruning to enhance health and form.I don't know why hadn't considered pruning through the season, I do so with many other plants.
Well, I look forward to this forum and have a brilliant and joyful Autumn. Lee

In spring give each of them a drink of Epsom Salt diluted in tepid water. It encourages basal break - more stems.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.