CLOSED: Globe Amaranth - Strawberry Fields (are forever) . . .

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

'Strawberry Fields' globe amaranth -aka- Gomphrena

Gomphrena haageana 'Strawberry Fields'

These seeds are super easy to germinate. Dust seed with ground cinnamon and direct sow in mid-autumn about ź inch deep.   Plant info ===>   http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1416/

Trades:
My trading lists ===> http://davesgarden.com/community/trading/list.php?member=LazLo

My DMail ===> http://davesgarden.com/tools/mail/pmail.php?q=LazLo

Stamps - . . . What I need from you:

I am offering an entire seedhead or the approx. equivalent in loose seeds . . . Just send a self-addressed business-size envelope (SAE) with
2 LOOSE "Forever" postage stamps - or an equivalent amount in denominated postage stamps (88˘).
Please note on the lower left corner of the outer envelope:  "S F A F".

If your postal service is not the USPS, contact me in DMail to discuss doing the postage via PayPal.

My postal addy == >   http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/view.php?user=LazLo

If you can't see the DG address exchange, send a DMail to request my postal mailing address (see above).

A T B T Y !       ~       ŁazŁo     ;--)

This message was edited Sep 25, 2010 9:41 AM

Thumbnail by LazLo
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

ŁazŁo,
I don't want any of the seeds, but I just wanted to say you are so generous! I see you post your seeds SO often for SAE, and I know your seeds and plants have graced MANY yards. Thank you so much for taking your time to offer such great things! You are an asset to DG, AND many beautiful flower beds!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

aw gee . . .

Thumbnail by LazLo
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

oops!

Thumbnail by LazLo
Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

I would be happy to send what you ask for to receive some of these seeds-this is one of my favorite Gomphrenas, if there is enough for me.
Or we can trade.
I have Gomphrena globosa Las Vegas Purple which has nice rich color.
I also have a few Agastaches-A. astromontana Pink Pop, A. foeniculum, Golden Jubilee, A. foeniculum Honey Bee White, and probably a few seeds of A. aurantica and A. rupestris that I can harvest.
LMK,
Alana

Zapata, TX

LazLo
I woud love some of these seeds for SAE, I want to add more red flowers to my garden and I think these would be perfect
By the way, I've been wanting to ask you if you know what this plant is, the seeds came from your Spring mystery MIx, i need to plant it on the ground but would like to know what it is, so that I can put it in the right place, any ideas

Thumbnail by noemim
(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Lazlo, my Dear- I would love to have some of these seeds. Wanna take a gander at my trade list to see if anything looks good?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

froggie - I'd love to trade ya for some Las Vegas Purple gomphrena seeds.  I see that you are quite a daylily gardener - - I've got a few odds and ends of Kwanso (orange) daylily tubers stored but that really should go to someone who is not terrified of daylily growing as I have become.  I may have a green thumb but one of my knuckles is definitely black with voodoo against poor daylilies. but please, no advice.  I have already surrendered.  What daylilies are surviving shall be not molested here; those which pass on like 99% of the other daylily plants here, shall be composted.  So, a few Kwanso tubers are begging for your mercy!  L-O-L !

If you want them, may I trade for some of your agastache varieties - - Pop Pink, Honey Bee White and A. aurantica . . . any or all wiill be welcome here.  A few butterfly pea seeds, maybe even a rooted vine could also be made available to you if I can weasle some Siberian Motherwort out of you, too! Thank you for contacting me, Alana.

ATBTY !       ~       Łaz    ;--)

Thumbnail by LazLo
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Pony -   Tasty things I found there by you, dearheart.  Please send some Larkspur (Delphinium elatum). btw, I think that Lokes are not able to either withstand the heat here at the Gates of Hell, or its the alkalinity they cannot abide with.  Let us not consign further innocents to the slaughter.  I got a few of the Morello Cherry lupine you sent last year to germinate and thrive, until our temps went above 95°F.  Could not get any of the four Japanese Maple seeds to get off the stick, but will give a try again with a couple that I held back.  Please allow me to beg for some of your Bloody Mary (Silene coronaria) seeds.

Arrf!  Arrf! [pant, pant]      ATBTY !       ~       Łaz    ;--)

Thumbnail by LazLo
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

the seedheads range in size between 0.5 and 2.0 inches in length and are about 0.5 in width, as measured with my sowing stick . . .

Thumbnail by LazLo

Oh, dear. That is a shame about the Loke Vikings. :(

I will happily send you the Delphinium and Silene, and I'll throw in some more of the Acer palmatum for good measure. Thank you, M'dear! :)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

yup, I did make that stick accurate . . .

Thumbnail by LazLo
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

thanks - gomphrena seeds will be blowin' in the wind to you mańana.

Thumbnail by LazLo
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Noemi - howdy, neighbour! well now, i gotta 'fess up about that Mystery Mix . . . lots of the seeds included are mysteries to me as well. somewhere, at sometime during the year previous to offering the lot you received, i saw a gorgeous flower and was able to obtain its seeds. i do that alot. then, because i don't keep good notes and suffer chronically from CRS, i probably immediately forgot where i had the ID locked away in my steel-trap mind. i dunno what it is. if you disturb the leaves by brushing it a bit with your hand, does the air around it get a little bit stinky? if so, it is most likely a datura variety. if it isn't stinky, it could be one of several species of hardy hibiscus which are perennially included in my mix. do you have any more of the seeds that it grew from, presuming you might remember what it looked like any better than i can remember what it was i snatched on a hunting walk or drive around town.

in any case, put it in the ground in a full sun location. dust an area of a foot in diameter with DE around the plant so that whatever molested the leaves gets torn to bits if it returns. since you're getting more rain than usual this year, you probably won't have to do much watering for it until Thanksgiving - - then don't water it any more than what rains upon it because it may want to go dormant until the end of February or so. you will know because of leaves falling. if they do, or just dry up on the plant, remove 'em and new stuff will appear on the old stuff in the spring. btw, when you see new green leaves, that's the time for some fertilizer.

will keep my eyes open for your envelope re: the gomphrena seeds.

ATBTY !       ~       Łaz    ;--)

Thumbnail by LazLo
Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

I have already harvested Agastaches Pink Pop and Honey Bee White, as well as the Gomphrena, but I will have to check on rupestris and aurantiaca this weekend and see what I can get for you. I would also be happy to send along the Leonotis sibericus, but ixnay on the wansokay. If yours all die and you want to replace them send a U-Haul and I will hook you up.
I would also be interested in the butterfly pea seeds and maybe a few seeds of the Pavonia.
Alana

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Please save some for me, I grew them last year and then gave them all away, I really liked them. Thank you.
Debra

Blackshear, GA

I woud love to have some, if they are still available.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

TONS of them remain.

Blackshear, GA

Sending envie w/ stamps. Thanks

Just sent your seeds today, Dear. Sorry I was a bit slow. Crazy busy weekend. Be careful how thick you sow the Silene coronaria- they have about a 110% germination rate. It's almost scary. ;)

Jasper, TX

I am sending stamped env.
Thanks

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Are there still some available? I'd love to give them a good home:)
Bev

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

I'd love to have some of these seeds also If you have some still available.. Trish

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Patricia -   i sure do - - but instead of stamps, how about a trade for some of your Hardy Amaryllis (Hippeastrum x johnsonii) or Cactus-flowered Zinnia mix (Zinnia elegans) ?

Thumbnail by LazLo
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Bev -   like i said, i sure do have more . . . btw, would you be interested in a trade as well? if you have interest in a big root for rice-paper plant (Tetrapanax papyrifer) for your more shady spots (it does like a bit of morning sunshine), then i'd love to trade for Voodoo Lily (Pinellia tripartita) from you. PLMK. ~ Łaz

Thumbnail by LazLo
Zapata, TX

LazLo
received your seeds, and can't wait to get them on the ground, is now a good time or should wait, i don't want to sound stupid but I have to ask, why cinnamon?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

why cinnamon? sometimes i explain these things in my Garden Diary (blog) = = > http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/m/LazLo/ - from the entry about "genus:    Caesalpinia":

Quoting:

I usually dust the top of the container(s) with ground cinnamon - - just a slight dash to each 2 in. pot in the seed tray. Then I stir the cinnamon into the soil and wet it down thoroughly. Cinnamon is a natural anti-fungal agent, retarding or even preventing the occurence of damp off - - the #1 killer of seeds in the earliest stages of germination.

when to sow the seeds? you and I live beside the Gates Of Hell and the longest we usually have temps at or below freezing is in the 36 to 48 hour range, with innumerably more freezes lasting only 1 to 5 hours. i guess that makes Central and South Tejas (minus The Hill Country, of course) downright mild and balmy as conceptions of winter weather go . . . i am planting mine around the same time i'm sowing bluebonnets, Noemi - - beginning Sept. 15th, i'm sowing the seeds once every week until the 15th of October.

folks who do not have such warm winters as we can start the gomphrena seeds indoors about six weeks before the usual date of their last frost (check an almanac !) -OR- they can sow the seeds directly starting about two weeks before the usual date of their last frost. if sown later in the year after the last frost, the blooms will probably be as late as the very end of summer.

atbty !

~ Łaz

Thumbnail by LazLo
Zapata, TX

Thanks for the cinnamon tip, I will try it. I've been to Austin a few times , every time I've been there I"ve said that I would love to live there, it is beautiful, as for my little town down South Tejas, there's days when it feels like we've crossed the Gate , and we're right in the middle of it, and okay I guess I can wait a couple of more weeks to sow the seeds,. thanks

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi there, do you still happen to have any seeds? I'd love to get some of those...they look brilliant!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Lazlo, sorry to remain silent on your proposed trade;) Work is kickin' me pretty hard right now.
I will check on the status of the pinella this weekend...Gosh, I don't even know what's going on in that part of the garden. Feeling a bit disconnected and don't like it at all.
Bev

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

kamelonius -   it's my practice to mark any offerings as closed as soon as i run out of seeds. i hope that helps answer your inquiry.

Thumbnail by LazLo
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Bev -   well alrighty then, i sure know how maddening that too much work and not enough time thingie can be. just you do that voodoo that you do so well, when you can. ;--)

Thumbnail by LazLo
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

. . . bunches of hundreds of these seeds are still available . . .

Blackshear, GA

Lazlo,
Did you get my stamps and envie?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

not yet, Paula

Blackshear, GA

I mailed it last week. You should have gotten it by now. If you don't get it in the next day or so, please let me know. Thanks

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Hi Lazlo, I just got back from vacation and got your seeds. Thank You.. your trade was not sent as I forgot we were leaving, and will be digging tomorrow, thank you for your patience.
Debra
PS: I am going to find the thread of the Sago Palm thread somehow.. I gotta show ya something.
PPSS: Look up Clammy Weed and see if you want this cute little native cleome while I am sending your trades.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Debra -   i hope your vacation was terrific fun. yes to Clammy Weed. my Sago Palm thread is = = >   http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/926919/

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Lazlo, I would like to jump in here and get some seeds for a SSAE. Will get it in the mail today.

Bonnie

Webster, FL

All I can say is THANKS THANKS & THANKS for your generous offers!! I received mine today.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.