Critters Big and Small Vol.6

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

We had fun adding out pictures, on our last thread here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1115449/
What do you see in your area? We would love to see them.

I'll start with some twin fawns.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Fawn running off.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Sandusky, OH

Nice shots Burn! And thanks for starting the new thread!

A Woodchuck enjoying a pear.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Nice Burn...love to see them running & playing!

Cool Burd!

Molly... the poodle is 10. She was rescued from a puppy mill when she was 4. Her mom comes home today ....wand I am glad. It is very stressful to take care of someone elses animal. The responsibility.....whew! lol

Black Swallowtail posing pretty for me.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Nothing like the grace exhibited by a running deer. Love the fawns, burn

Nice start to the new thread.

Hack

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I found this Bald-faced hornet on the hummingbird feeder. I only usually see the Yellow Jackets on there. much bigger then the Yellow Jackets wasp. They are aggressive too.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

This Bumble Bee was in the wood pile.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Nanny, I would love to see the Black Swallowtail. I've never had to opportunity to see one yet. Great pic of your!!!
Burd never heard of a woodchuck eating a pear before. Nice shot.

a Frittilary

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Was out for a walk this morning and just happened to see another set of twin fawns! This set appears to be a little younger/smaller then the other set.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

They are just too cute!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Here are the others with mom last night....

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Thank goodness the front door was clean!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

They are so adorable.

Sandusky, OH

Nice shots everyone!

Got a couple shots of a Giant Swallowtail. Very big butterfly.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

it was missing part of it left wing.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

This thing was on my bench one morning....any ideas what it is?

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Ooo nice Giant Swallowtail, burd. Hope to see one of those someday.
Nanny that thing looks part lizard, part bug. Never seen anything like it before. Will be interesting to know what it is.
Well, with hurricane Earl passing, we have quite a drop in the temperature , and it has brought some squirrels to the feeder.
I have this red one sitting in the feeder and hogging it.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

And this bad one, chewing on the rope of my feeder. I ran out and gave him a scare, by making a lot of noise, beating a dish against the deck and shooing him away. I haven't seen him since.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Though I watch this thread, it's been a while since I contributed to it. Been wasting my time trying to get some decent hummingbird shots.

Well, today I was outside building me a homemade flower box when I spied this little spider. I went to the house and my camera and was surprised that it was still there when I got back..

I kinda thought it was a jumping spider (being that they are members of the largest spider family, Salticidae, I figured I had a good chance of being correct. It is a Twin-flagged Jumping Spider (Anasaitis canosa)

Here's some info I dug up. Jumping spiders are common spiders, outdoors and in. They are very active during the day and are often found around windows, ceilings, walls, and other areas exposed to sunlight. They are relatively peaceful to humans, though I wouldn't, I have read that they can be handled with bare hands. Jumping spiders are generally small to medium-sized (about 1/5 - 1/2 in long) and are compact-looking. They are usually dark-colored with white markings (mine was), but some can be brightly colored. They move quickly in a jerky, irregular gait and get their name from their ability to leap on their prey, often jumping up to 40 times their own body length (they don't spin webs for catching prey) . Like most spiders, jumping spiders have eight eyes, but the two middle upper eyes are really big. Not surprising, they have the best vision of spiders, seeing objects up to 8 inches away.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

It is small. In these pics it is on the corner of a 2x6 plank I was using to build the flower box.

Even though the camera was focused on its abdomen, you can sill see the middle large eyes.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster

Put my bug of the BUG IDENTIFICATION Forum. Seems to be some sort of tree cricket...maybe this Two Spotted Tree Cricket!

http://bugguide.net/node/view/431745

Never knew there was such a thing!

This message was edited Sep 7, 2010 2:35 PM

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

pretty cool!

Sandusky, OH

Nice shot of the Tree Cricket nanny!
Burn, nice shots!..hey!... that is a bad squirrel! lol
Nice shots of the T-f Jumping spider Hack!...did it try to hop on your lens? lol
Some critter pics.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

this Garter Snake was only about 1ft and half long...wonder if he knows, sunning yourself on a path will get you eaten by a R-t Hawk.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

this young Muskrat was indulging big-time...wonder if he knows that napping and eating at the same time "in the wide open" can also get you eaten by a R-t Hawk. lol

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Quote from Burd_Fotos :
Nice shot of the Tree Cricket nanny!
Burn, nice shots!..hey!... that is a bad squirrel! lol
Nice shots of the T-f Jumping spider Hack!...did it try to hop on your lens? lol
Some critter pics.

Burd, I read about them doing that, but mine didn't

Hack

Nice ones!!

I saw a groundhog the other day ...but no camera!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I saw a groundhog too, had my camera, but,butt lol

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Last pic I made of this little guy, or one like him, was back on 7-17-2010. I saw the anole again today and snapped another pic.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Here's another pic of the whole little guy.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Something has been de-foliating (eating) my dahlias. I looked and looked, but I never saw anything. Here's one of the leaves. Other leaves have been eaten right up to the veins.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Well, I snuck outside tonight at around 11 PM and caught 'em.

Inchworms, gonna grow up to be Geometrid moths.

I haven't decided whether to attack or leave them be.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Another one.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Anyone got any technique advice on night-time photography. What I did was manually focus my macro lens as I shined a flashlight on the inchworm. Then, I put the flashlight down and used the Canon external flash with the camera in the P mode. The camera was on a tripod and I had a remote (wired) shutter release to reduce camera shake.

I may need to get a "stand alone" light source to replace my flashlight, ain't got enough hands.

Here's another of the rascals.

Hack

This message was edited Sep 10, 2010 11:05 PM

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Sandusky, OH

Nice shots all! Hack...great job with the Anole...looks like those inch worms are eating everything. I noticed a lot of silk worm nests this year compared to other years.

Sandusky, OH

As far as night time shots...Ive bumped the ISO up to the max and have also tried using tungsten light on the white balance. But a flash is probably the best for detail.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm pretty sure this dragonfly is a Blue Dasher - Pachydiplax longipennis

If I could have snapped his face, I'd be much happier. But he didn't stay in one place very long and it wasn't long before he was gone.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

The I used a software package called "neat Image" to remove the noise. Is it better? What do you think?

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Sandusky, OH

Heck yeah it looks better! lol That's some nice software you got there Hack.

Wow...huge difference...very nice!! ewwww on the inchworms....lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.