Wildlife: Critters Big and Small Vol.6, 1 by TheHackster

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright TheHackster

In reply to: Critters Big and Small Vol.6

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Critters Big and Small Vol.6
TheHackster wrote:
Though I watch this thread, it's been a while since I contributed to it. Been wasting my time trying to get some decent hummingbird shots.

Well, today I was outside building me a homemade flower box when I spied this little spider. I went to the house and my camera and was surprised that it was still there when I got back..

I kinda thought it was a jumping spider (being that they are members of the largest spider family, Salticidae, I figured I had a good chance of being correct. It is a Twin-flagged Jumping Spider (Anasaitis canosa)

Here's some info I dug up. Jumping spiders are common spiders, outdoors and in. They are very active during the day and are often found around windows, ceilings, walls, and other areas exposed to sunlight. They are relatively peaceful to humans, though I wouldn't, I have read that they can be handled with bare hands. Jumping spiders are generally small to medium-sized (about 1/5 - 1/2 in long) and are compact-looking. They are usually dark-colored with white markings (mine was), but some can be brightly colored. They move quickly in a jerky, irregular gait and get their name from their ability to leap on their prey, often jumping up to 40 times their own body length (they don't spin webs for catching prey) . Like most spiders, jumping spiders have eight eyes, but the two middle upper eyes are really big. Not surprising, they have the best vision of spiders, seeing objects up to 8 inches away.

Hack