Hellllooooo? #2 Still Talking

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Thought it best to start another thread as the other was cumbersome.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1106554/

Here are some shots this AM. Sorry, I do burry very well.

This is from the kitchen patio at 6:13 AM. You can see the crews still working, wetting it all down.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Wow, be safe over there. I hadn't heard anything on the news about it. That's got to be scarey.
I remember how horrible the fire we had to the north of us a few years back. We weren't close to it at all but it was a smokey ashy mess.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Last month our neighbor and his BIL hauled shovels, concrete and this hugen WOODEN cross up the hill and planted it. The fire burned all around it and at its base, coming back to it 2 or 3 times. You would look up there and barely be able to make out the cross. Today, look, not even a char mark!

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

It is considered 100 contained while they finish up. Planes are doing a few drops as precautionary.

With sun @ 6:38. As you can see, there is still fuel for little firebugs.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Oops, wrong button.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

The aftermath of the staging area. The section of the property that my stepson lives on in his motor home. The Mayor was there also last night. It is illegal to live the motor home, the cover does not have a permit, I think his 20x65 foot slab of concrete is partly over septic lines, if not that, then his 40 ft container, also not allowed, is over them. Guessing the City officials were previously involved with the fire, LOL.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Yeah Lynda,
It takes a lot of dedication to leave your kids and pets and grab your camera to document the fire, when you should be getting the heck out!
I applaud your not taking photos, although that fire vortex would have been fun to see. It must have been scary up close. I know I was scared for you.
For those of you who don't have a clue what we're talking about go back to the last page on this thread and look at the article.
I didn't take photos of the two fires we've been involved with this year. Only their aftermath. I didn't even think of grabbing my camera then, just getting people and critters safe.
I meant what I said, about if you ever need to evacuate, our neighbors are involved with the Sheriff's Mounted Posse. We have a couple a three empty pens for other critters and plenty of room.
I also wanted to applaud you for checking on your neighbors. So many people wouldn't have thought of them. : - )
I'm not especially talented with a camera, Lynda. I just take lots and lots of photos so everyone thinks I am. LOL!
Seriously, the more photos you take, the better you will get. Thank God for digital cameras!
Did your really mean burry or blurry? LOL! You sure were lucky girl. Not a scorch mark on the cross either. God is Good!
BRB!
WIB!
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Nah,
Unless someone reports you for the code violation, they aren't pursuing them. You are probably right and they just didn't notice. Even if they did, they may not be aware of what is allowed and what isn't. Who knows, maybe it was there before the law? LOL!
I'm glad you're keeping your sense of humor. : - )
So very glad that you are all okay. It's a good feeling. : - )
Just took a close look at those photos. Don't think they are blurry. I think they show a little mist in the first one and two, plus were taken at a distance. The last one was taken at a distance and appears clear except for a little dust cloud in the air.
Your photos are fine. Don't knock yourself, when there are so many people out there willing to do it for you? I know you wish they'd been clearer, I'm like you and always striving for that perfect photo. It keeps things lively.
Speaking of lively, allow me to share a somewhat startling experience with you.
The other night, the queen sat on her throne and this is what she saw.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I promptly teleported to the utility room, grabbed my camera, and screamed for my YS!
This is what he saw, just before he started laughing.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

You notice he put on a glove, but he's still grinning!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I am not usually freaked out by spiders, but I guess I was feeling especially vulnerable having just sat down on the throne. LOL!
YS decided he wanted to keep this tarantula. I wasn't happy about the idea. To make a long story short, the spider got out of the terrarium and I spent most of the day yesterday worried about where it went and watching where I walked.
ES said, he caught it and evicted it last night before he went to bed. He said it was running from under the couch and heading towards the Entertainment center when he caught it. I slept a lot better. I don't care if Buddy Holly is a good fly catcher/eater (yuch), I didn't trust him to wake up and protect me from the tarantula.
LOL! NOW! Not funny at the time.
One last photo of my YS and the non-compliant tarantula. He was still laughing. I'll fix him!
Once again, Lynda, I'm so relieved you folks came through that fire last night with no damages.
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

When I was a kid I had a whole family of tarantulas that I placed with every weekend. They lived at the top of a mountain right in the middle of Pioche, my home town.

My hibiscus are Hardy Hibiscus and yours are tropical. Mine die down in the winter and come back up in the late spring. They bloom like a day lily. Have a bloom about size of a dinner plate but the bloom only lasts a day but each stalk has very many blooms.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Cool, Sharon. As I said I like spiders, but that one startled me. I wasn't expecting him there! LOL!
My brother is going to give me a native hibbie, it is supposed to be smaller with smaller blooms. Kind of sounds like your hardy varieties.
I haven't heard from QG, yet. I'm going to try calling her and see if she found her phone. I worry.
Even when I shouldn't.
Pioche is a pretty small town. It explains a lot about you Sharon. All good! : - )
BBLWP!
WIB,
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the call SW, I started with immediate family Sat AM, then ran out of battery with you, sorry. But my phone said we did get 100 min. in first, LOL. I appreciate the offers of shelter for us and animals. If our 5th wheel wasn't permanently entrenched in it's location (deck built around it), and we still had a 5th wheel hitch, we could pull it out to use in an emergency at someone's house. DD was excited to hear of a place for goats as we knew places for horses, dogs and ourselves. She has offer of transport for goats now too. With the fire behind us, one might think we felt more secure, but there is still the part of the hill that did NOT burn close to us.

Pretty creepy about your 'throne' invader! I would not have waited to be teleported before screaming bloody murder, and thus, might have more company than desired at a delicate moment.

Another shot, taken Sunday PM. The shape of the hills is, obviously, more clear now. This now reveals the next threat, more to neighbors than us, mudslides!

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

QG,
LOL, over your description of the throne invader. It was worse when s/he escaped from the terrarium and I didn't know where it was! I did loose any urge I had to use the throne. Amazing what tightens up when you are startled.
Still haven't figured out a good way to pay that kid of mine back for laughing at me. I've got all week to think of something before he gets back. Maybe I'll short sheet his bed. LOL!
Seriously, looking at the slopes, I don't think you need to worry about mudslides. Some of those roots go deep, and some of those plants will come back.
Remember all the fires we had last winter? Remember how people were worried about mud slides in those burn areas. Just didn't happen.
DH says that sometimes after a fire we get good wild flower displays. Wouldn't that be nice for a change? : - )
Once again, I'm happy to help anyone if needed. Glad it wasn't necessary in this case, and now you know you have a place to put the goats. : - )
See something good happened because of the fire. You got to have an exciting weekend for one. I know you weren't bored. LOL!
BTW, I thought it was my phone that died, was sure glad to hear your sweet voice that you and yours were okay. It made my day. : - )
This is a photo of what I did yesterday. Well one of the things I did yesterday. I spent a lot of time repotting plants that had outgrown their pots. : - )
Then I got this wild hair, and I combined a big ($12.99) cheap pot with the top of a bird cage that Dave the picker was going to toss. I should have stood back more while taking this photo. I planted a snail vine in there. Might toss in some trailing flower seeds too and see what comes up, maybe allysum, Unless someone else has any good ideas?
Hope you enjoy looking at my caged Snail Vine. LOL! : - )
WIB,
SW

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Glad you're ok Lynda. I never did hear anything on the news.
SW, was there supposed to be a picture?!?!!??

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Weegy - I understand there was some lengthy coverage on KCAL9 during the fire itself, but the next day there was just a short mention of it and a quick flash of a picture. It was 'only' 25 acres, so small in the realm of CA fires. But, when it is in your backyard it seems much more significant!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I agree Lynda. All in all, I'm glad you're safe and your home too.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I saw coverage on all the major news channels at 11:00 pm. Most coverage at 11 was on CBS.
The link that Lynda posted on the last page of the thread showed a photo of the fire, but they did have news crews out there that night. I guess it was a slow news night. Unless you live there!
DH found an item in yesterdays' Press Enterprise newspaper about the fire in Wildomar. They said that the parents of the firebugs were liable for about $35,000 each. I was on the phone with Lynda when DH told me the numbers, and Lynda said they were up there still hosing down the slopes. The cost might go up.
I'm glad that Lynda, and all her family, both two and four footed are okay, and we have contingency plans in place for critter care should she ever need to evacuate due to fires.
Lynda, is really smart you know, in a crisis, I want her at my back. : - )
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Thanks, SW, I am good at panicking, but get a clear head. Sunday PM I spoke with my friend who works at County Fire & Emergency Management. She was surprised about the $35,000 each as the cost was up over a million. But, I guess the $35M was a token to send a message. Yesterday Ariana was breathless about seeing some smoke come down the canyon as she was leaving, but I went out and watched for awhile and it was the wind blowing gusts of ash. The last fire truck left Sat evening, but I did see a couple firefighters walking up on the ridge Sunday afternoon. Bless them all for being so diligent!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Amen to that, QG!
I honestly don't think they(CDF) expect for it (the fine) to cover all the expenses, but as you say rather it should act as a deterrent. I hope so anyway.
Glad you didn't see anything but ash dust. When the wind kicks up, you especially should be wearing a face mask. That stuff is toxic. It was bad the day we took photos of the Crown fire aftermath. I'm still coughing up junk from that. So be careful. : - )
WIB!
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Is everyone else as tired as I am of our little heat wave? I'm so glad it's cooling down.
Not that the thunder storms weren't a novelty. Say did anyone else get the sand storm before the rain?
Pity it was so dry the rain evaporated so quickly, but still, it was a nice change, and except for the fire, caused by a lightning strike, the other day, it wasn't scary.
We're down 10 degrees from yesterday, only 98 degrees today. It was so nice.
Check in tomorrow.
WIB,
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

I got all excited today when the thermostat in shade topped out at 97 (shade). Able to open windows ! Double yay!!! Easier to sleep. Watered at noon and survived to write about it. Did not hear about lighni g strike fire, where? Saw flooding in Cayte's town and an 'almost' tornado in Elsinore with their power down inareas for more than a day. Thought we would get some of that when wind picked way up and all the ash was blowing sideways south to north across hills. God bessed us again, cuz if we would have had the volume and force of rain like we had last month, our neighbors would have mud in their family room. I looked out the window just before and put us all into action battening the hatches.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Mt. San Jacinto. I have photos. someplace.
We had a sand storm, just before it started to rain for the whole five minutes it rained.
Here's a photo to prove it. You can see the wind bending the trees up at the rental on the hill.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

T.storm clouds that day.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

More sand in front of the Bee Barn.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Looking toward Mt. San Jacinto Mtns. That dark gray line of smoke running horizontally is the fire. Sorry about the quality of the photo. I thought I had a better one showing the smoke. Oh well.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I think I took this photo the next day, not sure if you got any rain from it QG. I liked the formation, and we didn't get as much windborn sand and dust. Thank goodness. : - )
Here's what it looked like last Thursday when we had the T.storm. I love that circular shape.
Right after I took this photo, it poured for a while. Not long, just long enough to mess up a painting project. No biggy it was experimental anyway. LOL!
Enjoy.
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Hey Linda, that's your real name right, quiltygirl?

Did you ever put those wine bottles in the ground that I gave you? Mine have been laying in rows, not planted, for several months now. I now really know what people meant what they say about retirement. "I don't know how I ever had time to work". Way too much fun stuff to get to on my plate.

Sylvia

BTW: Anyone know when do we start planning the fall RU?????"? So looking forward to getting together with y'all again.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

I don't know why I kept missing this forum, glad I'm back again. So much has happened with fires, etc. For some reason a lot of the forums I've been watching aren't showing up, but have to go back and make sure I mark watch on all of them.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Samigal,
You are still with us! Yippee! I missed you! Now I know why you hadn't been posting here. You should let Terry in Admin know if you are having a glitch with DG. She really helped me out last year. : - )
Other than that, you'll just have to go to the CA Regional Forum and look at the current threads every day. Which can be time consuming.
Is everyone else enjoying the mild temps? I hope so. A nice break after all that heat. : - )
Good weed pulling weather for us today.
Guess I should try to get some work done. Don't know how successful I'll be with me tummy doing the flip/flop dance.
GTG,
WIB~
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The subject of a fall RU has come up a couple of times. Do you all want a Pumpkin Patch Party since we can't do a fall RU? Social event but we can trade plants and seeds. We'll just take over the picnic tables by Gma Oak, if we get three or more DG members interested. What do you all say?
Remember that there will be other people about, because we do have a Pumpkin Patch business, but they don't need me to run it any more. That's what the kids are for.
DH will be doing some work, but I'm sure he can be convinced to do a Hay Ride for us.
We probably won't be able to play under G.ma Oak because in October she turns into the Haunted Oak. The people running the Haunted Oak will have all their stuff set out for the evening's performance. I've never been through it when it's all set up, but I understand that people really seem to like it, because it isn't like any place else. Maybe this year, I'll go. I think there will be at least one food stand on site, or you can bring a picnic lunch. Pot Luck might be hard to do will all the "public" around.
LMK your thoughts, please.
WIB!
SW

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Jules

Sound wonderful to me! I could bring my Dillan, and a picnic and off course DH.
Sylvia

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I'm coming and bringing Emma! (I better ask her mom first!)

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm pretty sure we can can count on QG, and hellnzn too, so we'll just have us a little PPParty, LOL! Too funny to see it abbreviated that way.
You all will need to pick a date. I'm here for the duration. If anyone else wants to come they can. Got a DG member just down the block who might show up too.
I'm here for the duration, so I'm game. : - )
Warning, we do not open the gates before 10:00 a.m., ever. Anytime after 10:00 is fine, though. Any day of the week works for me too. Doesn't have to be a weekend, so your kids might be off the hook if we do this during the week, weegy. : - )
We'll talk some more about this, okay?
WIB~
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

You are right, SW, you can count me in. If we do it late in the day, as opposed to early, then maybe we can see/do the Haunted Oak thingee. Look forward to a get together with DG'rs. Yesterday I went to Rancho Palos Verdes where a friend had a get together for our prodigal girlfriend who moved back to PA 4 years ago after living in CA for 30 years. We all used to be in a non-school affiliated International Sorority since the 70's, then being late bloomers, we started to marry and move away from the South Bay. Besides Sherry from PA, the furthest travelled was from Tahoe area, the rest from near hellnzn, Thousand Oaks, Moreno Valley and a couple to in South Bay. Our UT friend could not make it on a weekday. Boy, have we gotten old, but we can still laugh our socks off!!!

Sylvia, no I never did get around to 'planting' those bottles and there were tons of spider webs growing on those piles, so I told DD she could recycle them with her soda bottles and cans. She got them all loaded up and they took them over to the place, but they do not pay for wine bottles. Recycle them, yes, but no cash for them. Hope you don't mind that I took them and then did not use them. I still the photo saved you took of yours that you posted on DG, for future inspiration.

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Linda

Sounds like you had a wonderful reunion. I love it when I get together, maybe once a year with friends that go back to 5th grade,

Doesn't hurt my feelers that you did not use the wine bottles. I just wanted to get rid of them as we found out the recycles no longer paid money for them. Anytime in the future if you want any we'll start saving them for you.

Sylvia

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Ya'll better get yourselves busy and send Weegy a birthday greeting I started in this forum....(hint hint !)

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the reminder, JD. You really were missed, so I'm glad you are posting again.
My Bday wishes were belated, but I hope they still count. : - )
QG, I don't know if late in the day will work for weegy, but you live so close, you can come back to see the Haunted Oak. If you go, I will. LOL!
Usually they only operate it during the weekends. I'll keep you posted and when I find out, I'll let you know.
Got to run for now!
WIB~
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Calling on my DG friends for advice and input. I've been off line this last week for a good reason. One of my Summer kids, Jason, has helped me develop a web site for our farm.
I would appreciate your comments, and suggestions to make it a better web site that is more user friendly. It is still under construction, but I hope that it will improve with your help. I'm sure I went and forgot something.
There are some things I haven't put down yet, because I need to confirm dates and times. We also plan on adding a couple of more pages. One on the Honey, and one on the other activity's that we host here.
I hope to be able at some point to have an on-line store to sell some of my collectibles, and antiques. The little store can't hold it all. LOL!
We haven't really begun to work on the Christmas Tree page, because we felt that it was more important to get the Pumpkin Patch stuff up.
I already know about the typo's, and the punctuation that needs to be cleaned up. I was dictating because I couldn't type. My Web Master and I will fix that. I love my Summer Kid, Jason, he's been awesome about getting everything put together.
I had most of the pictures, but finding them was time consuming. The text I can recite in my sleep. I should do a tour of the farm, like a shorter version of my Daily walks thread. Oh almost forgot, Jason is working on a Facebook page for us too. Then he'll link it to the web site along with links to all the various associations/groups we are members of. Too cool! But I know it can be better, which is why I'm asking for Your Help!
If you don't feel comfortable discussing this on open forum, feel free to dmail me.
My thanks in advance for all your help. : - )
Here's the link: http://www.wickerdfarm.com/
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.