Different?

FSD, Pakistan(Zone 10b)

Here are my 2 Phoenix roebelenii.
These are looking different .Which one is actual P.roebelenii? and what is the other one?

Thanks
Yasir

Thumbnail by cactus_lover
FSD, Pakistan(Zone 10b)

Closeup of right sided plant .

Yasir

FSD, Pakistan(Zone 10b)

Closeup of left sided plant.

Thanks
Yasir

Keaau, HI

They both look like Phoenix roebelenii.

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

San Diego, CA

Yasir,Phoenix palms hybridize freely so I would have to identify each of them as Pigmys. The one on the left is more likely true to habitat.I don't know anyone who could say exactly what the parentage is on either. They are each nice palms,and your lucky to have purchases 2 pigmys with nice variations. Lance

Stamford, CT(Zone 9a)

there is also variations in male and female plants ,,,, when they flower you may know more ..males are more open , the females have heavier, shorter leaves in most cases

also,,if they are growing in differen tlight situations there may be variations ,, shade is more open leaves ,, full sun makes them more dense and shorter leaves

this may have happened when they were younger

they look healthy

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I don't even think those have to be hybrids... there is plenty of latitude within a species for that much and quite a bit more variation. The 'true' Phoenix roebelleniis are suckering palms, so all these solitary plants in cultvation are grown from some aberrant forms selected for many many years ago... So there is far more variation just within this species that is displayed in those photos.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.