pruning a palm tree

Thousand Oaks, CA(Zone 10a)

How and when do I prune my palm tree.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

what sort of tree do you have and how large is it?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

here is a link to an article I wrote about pruning palms you can look at to see if it helps any.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/668/

Thousand Oaks, CA(Zone 10a)

What a wonderful and informative article. Thank you so much. However, I am at a loss as to what/where a horizontal is.
I hate to be a pain....but can you advise. Sue

"When pruning fan palms and Phoenix palms never prune past the horizontal (don't prune any leaves that are growing above horizontal) as this will severely weaken the palm."

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Palmbob,
OK that article was wonderful!
I do have one question. I have been told it's best to trim a palm with a saw, not loppers. That the saw gives a better finished look. Have you heard that?
Barb

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

depends on the size of the palm frond... Phoenix are too large to 'lop' off and would basically be impossible to cut with loppers... but I find loppers personally make a better cut that a saw, which invariably tears the petiole a bit.

Cut leaves that are hanging down only... if the are coming off the palm and arching up, they should be left on. Ideally really you want to cut only the brown leaves, as the green ones are still working hard taking in energy... but realistically that would mean pruning palms all the time and when you have to hire someone to do that, you would go broke.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.