New Home - Help with Vine ID please?

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi moved into a new home this summer and yesterday found this blooming in an area that is very shady and wooded - some filtered morning sun...any help would be appreciated as I know I didn't plant it! LOL

Thumbnail by rednyr
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/528/

Clitoria ternatea aka blue pea vine

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Kay!!!!

You're welcome - I would protect it this winter - mine froze and didn't return this spring.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

ok thanks for that tip! I didn't plant it and by sheer luck saw it blooming in the wooded area by the drive....have you ever collected seeds from one?

Yes, I have collected seeds, but you have to cover the 'beans' while they are still green, because when the pods ripen, they burst open and the seeds fly every where. I use the foot part of a nylon stocking, attaching it around the pods with a twist tie.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

smart cookie!!!

I've learned a lot in 55 years of gardening!

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

That looks like Centrosema virginianum.
Alana

Thanks, Alana - I believe you're right!

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

I watered mine this morning so it's image was fresh in my mind or it would never have caught my eye. This is my first year growing it.

Thumbnail by poisondartfrog
Mulberry, FL

I have this one too I have the double it hasn't bloomed yet but a friend I gave one to his is blooming mines too much in the shade I think really nice dark blue heavy bloomer too

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.