Blueberry bushes leaves are red, please help

Flippin, AR(Zone 7a)

What do I need to do to my blue berry bushes, I've had them in the ground for a year. They recently the leaves starting turning red and they do not look very healthy, do I need to add something to the soil? Katie

Greensburg, PA

Katie, It is normal for some types of blueberries to develop red or yellow leaves near the end of the growing season. For me, this tends to start happening now, when the weather becomes a bit drier and the days start to shorten. If there are no other symptoms, then I would not worry about it. I would, however, suggest you evaluate your growing conditions to see if they may be running on the dry side as this can start them to turn red a little earlier than normal. I like to give a little extra water in August and September (it gets pretty dry here then) to make sure they remain healthy going into the fall. Some of my plants already have their red leaves also.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I agree. They turn a pretty red color in the fall. It is probably a bit of the heat and being late in the season.

You could send a pic to see if matches what we are saying.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2010 3:30 PM

Flippin, AR(Zone 7a)

Thanks I didn't know that they turned red at the end of the season.

Houston, TX(Zone 8b)

I've read that blueberries have beautiful fall coloring. I hope I get to experience that this year from my newly planted berry patch! Some people even plant blueberries as shrubs in "out front" formal landscaping... wish I'd thought of that!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.