BEST TIME TO BUY AND BEST PLACE TO BUY FROM?

Poland, ME

I am newly relocated to Poland Maine (Zone 4) When is the best time to plant new berry bushes (rapsberries and blueberries)? Also, do you have a favorite place or suggest a dependable place to buy from?

Greensburg, PA

I've always felt that raspberries are best done in the spring. On the other hand, blueberries are pretty sturdy and don't seem to mind much when you plant them (potted ones, not dormant ones), as long as you are careful to not disrupt the roots and give proper conditions (acidic loose soil with lots of peat amended). Of course, blueberries do some of their best growth in the spring as well.

With the two kinds of plants that you mentioned, I personally favor getting them at the local nurseries if possible. Some of the more uncommon varieties may need to be done mail order. Local purchase gives you a chance to see and evaluate what you are getting and the plants do not have to face the stress of shipping. Keep in mind that I started off buying them mail order but changes this position with time and experience. Raspberries in particular can be fussy getting started, especially after shipping stress and if you do not have a lot of experience with them.

That said, either way will work and they are not difficult plants to grow.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Fedco is in your neck of the woods... and has a great reputation.
http://www.fedcoseeds.com/

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I always buy from Raintree Nursery in WA even though I live in Connecticut! They ship quality plants and are very good about replacements and they are nice and helpful on the phone.

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

I recommend Nourse Farms for berry plants and information: www.noursefarms.com They're located on the East Coast - - MA, I believe.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I bought some black currents for my daughter as a gift, and I found the people at Nourse Farms to be very helpful and the plants arrived in great shape, when they were supposed to. My daughter was very happy with them.

Charlotte, VT

Nourse Farms has sent plants to me that are always in great shape. However, Fedco is supposed have a blowout sale to get rid of leftover plants from their catalog sales in the spring. If you're within driving distance it might be worth considering.

Poland, ME

Isn't a little too late to plant in Maine?

Greensburg, PA

Temperate climate plants should be going dormant during the fall. Once dormant, they can be planted for growth for next year in a similar climate.

Poland, ME

Interesting...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.