2010 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Vol. 7

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Great photos everyone! Nanny, so glad your little one was able to fly off.

Sandusky, OH

Nice shots Burn and Hack! Only about 17 days left up here before the hummer's start their journey south.

Took most of the summer but finally got an action shot. lol

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

Sandusky, OH

help if Id add the pic.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

hehe...Very nice Burd!!

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful shot Burd!

Macon County, IL(Zone 5b)

Wow, what a bunch of awesome photos posted since I was here last! Good job everyone. I do feel the sense of urgency from the birds, as though they are gearing up for the trip. I have at least 6 regulars though and we are really enjoying the window feeder, EXCEPT the glass won't allow my camera to focus and I've missed some really great shots.

Lots of different feather patterns from the juvies. Several with random splashes of red color and I have one bird with a belly and neck that is white with dark blotches. He/she looks calico! I would share a picture, if it weren't for the glass window problem. Really awesome aerial displays though, so I am enjoying them while they last.

Backyard guy.....

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Back view too!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Don't know if anyone is trying it but I have been doing some hand feeding this week. I have gotten one to come in and take nice long drinks while I hole the feeder. I have to stand where the one guarding the front feeder won't chase the other bird away!

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Now, that is so cool, nanny. I've never tried hand-feeding, but have heard of it. Shoot when I go out the door they fly away. Maybe I should stick around on the deck and give them time to get used to me.

See if you can work it so that you can snap a pic while you hand feed them. Now that would be a WOW moment.

Hack

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

That's so great. Now with my daily visitors, I can't even walk without them moving farther away on a branch!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

That's wonderful Nanny. Hack, just stick around your feeder and talk to them so they get used to you being there. You'll be feeding them in no time.

Sandusky, OH

Nice shots nanny! The Yellow Jacket's always run off the Hummer's...shooting can become a waiting game...for the right moment.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Glen Burnie, MD

I had the coolest experience a few moments ago (& a first for me). I was hanging a feeder with fresh nectar. I was leaning out the window (the feeder hangs from an awning over my living room window) when a hummer showed up, fluttered about chirping, then landed on the feeder while I was still holding it & fed for about 30 secs. She then leaned back to check me out (I'm wearing a red shirt so I think she was trying to decide if I was a gigantic hibiscus!) then flew off. What a great moment! It's been kind of a disappointing hummer season for me but this really made up for it.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Nice photo Burd.
Carol, it is exciting to get so close to these hummers. Hope your little one will continue to be unafraid of you.

way to go Carol!!

Hack, I find if I do it in the morning or in the evening they are more receptive because they are really wanting to feed at those times.

I think this shot is sooo cool...but have no idea how I did it!! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Marlton, NJ

That is a good one nanny!!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Very nice Nanny.
I have that problem with the hornets too Burd. I don't know how many time I've moved the feeder to give the hummingbird a chance. It doesn't take long for the hornets to find it again.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

That's a great shot Nanny. Wish I could get a bit of sunlight on my guy's throat.

Sittin' pretty burn!

Still have the two coming a mature male and an immature male. This is the youngster who was right outside my window. He likes the pink turkscap better than the feeder. I like the bit of pollen on his bill.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

This should really be in the awful pics thread, but his face is sort of in focus! I said to myself, this is so close and then I realized that it was literally so close, too close!

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics Elph and burn!

My hummers never seem to come around until after the shadows come over the house. Here are 2 of them from a few minutes ago.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Another

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Long shot of a mature male in a tree.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Those are great shots Pelle! I'm amazed that you got two of them with two of them. Good aim and fast snappin'.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Great pictures everyone!! I'm wondering when they'll begin to leave your areas? Do you think they'll stay through fall or does the cold weather affect them?

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Nice shots everyone...it seems that the little ones just arrived and will be leaving before we know it. I have noticed a decline in the number of adult males so maybe migration has started...boo hoo!

Duc...except for the late migrating stray, the Hummers in our area will be long gone by the time fall arrives. I don't like to think about being Hummerless!!

We still have tons of them now though and have been devouring at least 2 gallons of sugar water.... I am loving every minute of it!!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

another group shot.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

They spend so much time fighting I don't know how they get anything else done!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

This is a first for me...I've never seen one sun bathe!!

Thumbnail by dellrose

Awesome shots Rose!!

Macon County, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh my gosh Rose, I really love that last one! That has to be a first. I would never think they would sit like that! My birds are cracking me up. They hover and stare back at us and the cat through the window with the window feeder. Some of my birds are looking kind of scrappy, dunno if it is all the fighting or what.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Oh wow Rose those are nice!!!

Sandusky, OH

Very nice shots Dellrose!! Nice capture on the last one!

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful shots Rose!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Beautiful photos everyone! Rose I love that last one too, but I also thought the one just before it was cute.

Thanks for answering my question Rose. What a shame they'll all be leaving. On the other hand, I know how much sugar you're going through and it gets hard on the pocket book when the prices get so high.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Those shots are amazing Rose! I've never had a group like that. I always have one that fights the others off. That's amazing and the photo of the dueling pair is incredible.

I dread being hummerless too Rose!

I still don't understand how Rose gets those big groups and they rest of just keep wishing!! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.