Giving up on a Cottage Garden

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm hoping for an early spring... once the ground gets soft, i can start pulling weeds. I'll probably be leaving by April 8th, so i'll have to work fast.

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

You should do more research, Evelyn, on timing and amount to use. I mostly hear about using it to beat back crab grass so it must be applied before those seeds germinate or it won't do any good. So the timing would depend on where you live in the country. Once a seed has germinated it's going to continue growing. It's a natural byproduct, not an engineered chemical. I doubt that you will get a complete kill with a one time application. At least it isn't harmful, that I'm aware of, and it does fertilize, too. My chickens run the yard at times during the summer and I wouldn't want them eating Preen. Read all you can and share with us, ok?

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I have taken to breaking down large cardboard boxes on my 5/8 acre to block out the light of the weeds. I had these crazy things germinate last year and took over my yard. They have 6 billion seeds so I had no other good ideas to block out the bare areas between planters. Now I have to put gravel or woodchips or straw. I will need to put decomposed granite down if I put gravel down. Weeds in the desert are something that are on my short list of worst problems for gardeners here.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone who weighed in on the issue as to when to put down the corn gluten. I think it will be good to put some down now, as it has dried out a bit after non-stop rains since November. Now that the days are sunny (for now, that is...) I will pull any weeds in the newly refurbished areas and then put down the corn gluten, and then some compost over that, as it is bright yellow! I cannot leave it just on top without covering it. that will encourage me to mulch early as well. Winter is not over, and I thought that I would not have any chance before spring, but I must take advantage of this "window of opportunity".... (I don't use Preen either.)

Good luck, Dawn! I think it would be a good time to do it now!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Evelyn there is a woman who is asking if anyone wants red or green trunk camphor beans, she says she has both.

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

With corn gluten you start sprinkling just before the weather gets warm enough for the seeds to germinate then sprinkle every six weeks after that. If you want to plant seeds you simply give a good sprinkle and wait six weeks before you plant. Once the plants are up you can resume sprinkling. As long as you remember to do your applications it really and truely works. We even used it on our lawn. Unlike PREEN and other chemical inhibitors it won't cause chromosomal damage to plants which results in weird flowers etc. I like it because not only is it organic, but its also using a by-product that would otherwise go to waste and it feeds the soil to boot.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I will see if our feed stores carry it. In CA in the desert it is not common to have mass access to corn like where some of you are. We can grow it, but it is not prolific. We have Pellet stoves where you can use corn for heat. We don't have that here. So Corn gluten may not be as easy to find.

Do you have a Home Depot near you? They carry the organic version of PREEN. Its 100% corn gluten. You might want to try Wal-mart too. Lowes as well carries it.

Yehudith

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I will check there. Thanks. I may be too late now for my weeds though.

Kerrville, TX(Zone 8a)

mjsponies,
I totally understand the weed problem. I, too, absolutely love the cottage effect, but maybe it's not meant to be here in my area--just so much weeding and having one of the worse winters here ever, there will be even more loss and more weeding. But, am only complaining a tad and can't wait until spring arrives. I envy all these cottage gardening guys. To me, they are the most beautiful gardens of all.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I think if you have that type of situation, as I do, in the high desert. You have to pick a spot and designate that to be a cottage garden. Each year pick another spot, adjoinging or another spot. It is overwhelming to do it all as a grand plan. 5X8 or something like that. Make a lasagna garden, that makes it much easier to plant in and choke out the weeds over the Fall/Winter you can let it break down in the rain, spring plant.

Here's the brand I use. I really like it. I used to buy it at Worm's way before we moved.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I think you forgot something? The brand. lol

http://www.earthlypursuits.com/GardenMag/GardenMag0517-231.htm Here's a good list for companion plants

Here you go http://www.yardlover.com/concern-weed-prevention-plus-5-lb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.