Propagation: Plant propagation part XIX based on my own ex

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

The 290 post thread was getting a little long. We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1117221/#top
Got to get to bed. Garden tour here Monday and praying it rains all day tomorrow as I can plant in the rain.
Hope it's OK I started a new thread.
Sidney

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I am sure glad you did, I do not know how or I would have. LOL Dave , get your butt out here and talk to us.

Lee, I caught up with the news of your Mother's passing and I am truly sorry. You have a wonderful outlook on her passing and I know she wants you to continue feeling and thinking that way. I doubt if my Mother has met her yet because she was not very good at any type of sewing. Her father was the editor and publisher of the newspaper most of our lives and she was at an early age put into journalism and that is where she stayed. Most of the sewing done in the family was done by my grandmother, who had arthritis in her hands and did it to keep them moving. So, maybe my Mom and Grampa started the Star Ledger or some other heavenly paper and your Mom can read up on all the news. It is such fun to think happy thoughts about those we have loved and lost. God Bless you my girl. Hugs JB

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Ok here we are. so whats going on????
I bought a couple of pieris japonica on friday. they were loaded with seed and had about 30 cells worth of cuttings on them.
I also managed to get some red bud tree seeds from one of the trees at the lake. I am going to try my redbud trees again this year to see if I can do something posative with them.
not much else going on here but demolition on the living room. my DW found out they make a large plasma tv and has to have one 84" good thing our living room is huge.
stay cool and have a good evening
Dave

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

did someone ask about using the lawnmower projectiles (sweetgum balls) for airation of the soil????
I would not recomend it as there may be seeds still lurking in the balls and when they grow boy are they fun to pull out.....
Dave

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Not for airation .... but to deter slugs.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Pieris japonica???OK, Dave, what is that.

I have roots on the lantana in my EZ Cloner. Everything else is looking great and very green but still no roots. 6 days in this cycle. The hardy hibiscus that had such great roots wilted when potted and placed outside. I will try next potting inside.

We finally had a day not in the 100s. 45 days straight over 100. Yesterday 99 and today 93 but 100s are coming back end of the week. We have great clouds and may get rain. Small town 45 miles up toward Utah got flooded, hail and high winds. The satellite shows rain all around us so maybe.

I have attached a photo of a tomato in the garden. I am going to pick tomorrow. Already have the bacon ready for a summer sandwich.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

This another variety of Hardy Hibiscus. First time it bloomed this year.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Dawn this is phase 2 of Blue Dracenda Palm. I guess you cannot post a photo with our a message.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Third photo of Blue Dracenda Palm after 3 years.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Hi all
here is the link to the exact one I bought 'Valley Rose'
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/80630/

I have wanted one for some time now and I could not pass p the oprotunity to get so much "free" seed. wait ...was it free? or did it cost me 14 bucks? I did get 2 nice plants out of the buy also ...hmmmm enlightened minds want to know.
Have a great evening
Dave

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Sharon: do you know the complete genus species name? looks like a yucca I once grew might be in the same family? or the dracaena family which has a lot of members (dracaena)....

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Yes it is a Dracaena. I spelled it wrong. I have red, green and a multi purple/pink. They grow great here in the heat as long as they are in filtered shade. The photo is a pink/purple Dracaena. Second year.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Another photo from different angle on pink & purple.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Now the red.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I like it, it looks like a house plant though. Are you sure it takes cold? Cold winter's here, down in the 20's in the nights, for a couple months and wind too, also, there are freak days that are lower on rare years. We had 11 degrees a few years ago.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Dave, they grow a lot of the P. Japonicas in the Seattle area. There are both larger ones and dwarfs.

Sharon I have a red Dracena in the center of a planter with coleus and sweet potato vines. They get to be a good size but I toss them in the fall because they don't winter over outside and I don't have room in the house. They would be a very attractive house plant if I had room for them.

Also, I got a kick out of your husband and the caster plants. Now do you mean
"caster beans"? I will see if I can find one to post. This isn't a very good one but you get the idea.

Thumbnail by Jnette
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

BTW, Thanks Sidney. I kept thinking we needed to do that. Normally, just leave it up to Dave I guess.

I wonder the same Dawn. We get down lower than 20 and I know they won't survive here.

What are sweet gum balls?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well we have had the water in the pool freeze and have had snow and they live but I do not think we have ever gotten to 11 degrees.

Back to Dawn's rain barrels. I suggested them because she said her water pressure was very low and the water came out very slow. I saw on another thread you had a problem with your water line bubbling near the meter. What happened?

Dave I wanted you to see this. I took the photo last August in Maui.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sharon, was the picture I posted the same as your husband's?

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Nice palm. I think its a travelers palm, but I have been away from palms way too long.
Sweet gum balls are the golf ball sized seed pods that sweet gums drop all over the ground. they are spiked hard and hurt to step on. I hat sweet gum trees for this reason. they are to messy and seedlings pop up everywhere.
Jenette: I just have fun growing JM from seed. I have a good source in my front yard as well as a nother spot for seeds that I can collect. I gathered and cleaned red bud tree seeds on saturday. I remember a couple of years ago I planted flats of seeds just for grins to see what would happen and I had mini forests in each tray.
currenly I am trying to stick 100 cells of cuttings each week. I am going to try to get more done this week as I am running out of time to do the soft wood cuttings.
I made a propagation box last week to stick some red twig dogwoods in. I bought the cuttings on line and they were about 8" long and cleaned for me. all I had to do was use rooting hormone and stick them. I did nock off a couple of nodes to wound the cutting so it would encourage rooting. I am hopefull they will root in the next 8 weeks. I used a 56qt cleat tote and drilled 8 3/4" holes in the bottom for drainage. I used a mix of 2/3 mason sand and 1/3 miricle grow potting mix (the same mix I use for my pots and cell flats. I will try to get some pics to share.
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Dave, if I didn't know how much you enjoy what you are doing, I would say you are working way too hard.

I am going to post a picture of the JMs you sent me. The one, I don't know what you said it was, do you? It is getting soooooooo tall. I don't know what it is and what to do with it. Tell me quick. LOL

It's about 18" tall.

Thumbnail by Jnette
Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Jeanette ....I suggest repotting .... new pot a few sizes larger.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Here is the 2 Bloodgoods. Twisted together.

Thumbnail by Jnette
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, you are right Mary. I have been looking for larger pots for several of them. Like about 3 dozen. Thanks.

And Dave, here is the Crape Myrtle. I don't think it is the same as the ones you guys were talking about or I would send it to you. It bloomed last year when it was about 1/4 that size. It is Little Chief.

Thumbnail by Jnette
Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

I would let them stay twisted and grow as 1 plant.

Big Lots has an ad for planter pots 50% off on selected ones. Since I need some nice larger pots, I took a trip there. The ones I like were not reduced.

I purchased the ones that I really wanted. they are made of composite material .... light and very DURABLE. I have my rose trees and fig tree in these types of pots.

by the way .... it looks like i am going to have figs .... yipee!!

It is still hot and muggy and there is no threat of any rain. The misquitoes are out in full force ... and i have a bad habit of forgetting to use insect repellant.

Love you all ...... MARY

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Mary, I often wondered how durable those pots are. They are quite expensive and I have seen them in the stores with chunks out of them. Maybe someone hit them with a shopping cart?? They don't look like they would hold up very good. But you say you have a couple of trees in them?

I just want like 6 inch plastic pots right now just to get them in bigger pots. But, I am 100 miles from those stores. No Big Lots. But, HD and Lowes. I really need something else to justify making the trip. I guess I could put them in the gallon pots, but I don't like to put them in that big a leap. I normally like an inch bigger.

I bought a bunch of those pots but when you give plants away you don't seem to get the pots back. LOL

But Mary, maybe that Maple is suppose to get that tall. Dave didn't, if I recall, at the time didn't know what kind it was. Might be.

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Jeanette, I will posts pictures of the pots that I like tomorrow. I purchased fairly large ones last year for the tree roses. In November we moved them into the garage. These are not plastic. Composite material .... same as the deck flooring.

The ones I purchased today were $6 each. the matching dish to place under neat were $1.20 each.

What is your goal for the tree(s)?

Love to all. Mary

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Maybe we aren't talking about the same pots Mary. Would like to see a picture. That is not a big price.

I don't know. I might send it back to Dave. LOL

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

I appreciate you guys more than you will ever know. Thanks for everything. Anybody wanting to read about her could go to miles city star.com click on obits Mollie Lentz. It says more than I can say and I wrote it.
I am glad to hear someone else had problems with the Casters this year. I grow them each year, they make such a nice tropical look, and lots of shade. However, this year I have one about 2 ft, and all the rest are tiny. They put seed flowers on before they got to 1 ft tall. What is with this??? I agree, anyone who knows, please enlighten us. Inquiring minds want to know ;)
Most of the flowers I started this year are already turning to fall. The weather is now in the 90's and twice a day of watering isn't enough. See, I can complain like --- well--- you know.
Love ya. Later, lee

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Yes Janette, I meant Castor beans, but I did not know the plant was called a castor bean. I thought it was a Castor tree bush/plant, I just thought what you planted was the bean. Yes that is it though.

I don't think we could grow that Sharon, it gets cold here. I think my book told me that I could not grow any in that family, but I will look again. bummer.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That was a real nice obituary you wrote Lee. Sounds like she had a full life. I can't even imagine crocheting while blind. I used to crochet. Don't think I would attempt it like that tho. Bet she and I would have gotten along real good.

Dawn those caster beans are very poisonous. Don't cook those seeds.

One of the fellas in Iowa grows such tall caster beans, and the stocks are about 5 inches across. He has very fertile soil. They are like trees. Yes, very tropical looking. Mine are lucky to bloom let alone produce seeds.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

OK, first Jnette, when you decide to dump your dracenas, send them my way. I will pay the postage.

Dave the genus species name is Cordyline indivisa.

Jnette, the majority of my pots are resin. I have had many of them many years. BUT, we very seldom ever freeze. My large 42" low pots are fiberglass and they cost $149 a piece. The resin ones I get at Costco in the spring that are probably 20 gallon cost $25. If either are not the color I want, I paint them. I will post photos of both.

Jnette, that is nothing like any crape myrtle leaf like I have ever seen. Much prettier and bigger.

Dave, you are one busy guy. Where is JB? Maybe she had more than one cocktail.

Jnette, what picture?

Dave, I spend one full day driving around Maui, all by myself and my camera. I could not believe all the beautiful flowers.

Lee, my Caster Beans did the same. Last year I had beautiful Castor Beans with very large red leaves and beautiful Red Spiked Seeds on the top. This year they are just barely growing. But we had a weird spring. Cold, hot, cold.

Dave, do you know where I can get a large bulk order of Blue Lobilia (sp) seed. Maybe a couple thousand seeds for scattering.

It may get hot here but we have no mosquitoes....

First photo is 42" fiberglass round pot that is about 3' deep on a graduated basis.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

This is the resin pots that I get at Costco.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Sorry, that is the wrong pot. I got those pots, 3, when a golf course was getting rid of them. The HOA landscape company got me 3 for free. I have them on the side yard by the holding garden and my blueberries are planted in them. And I did get blueberries this year. New breed for hot climates that have less periods of cold.

This photo was taken during my total rehab of back landscape.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

So that is what you plant your trees in? Why do you plant them in pots sunk in the ground? I do that with stuff like my hops so it won't spread but I used a huge plastic or rubber tree pot I got from a nursery for $3.

Sharon that is a very small plant. I don't think it is like the Crape Myrtles you all are talking about.

Too bad I didn't know you last year. My sister had 3 beautiful ones she had to toss. I will post a picture of it tomorrow and you can decide then if you want it.

Sorry, I made a mistake. I meant Dawn on the picture of the caster bean I posted.

Sharon google bulk lobelia seed.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

We cross posted again. Those are nice pots.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I put the 42" x 3' where I have tree root problems. I think they look better level in the ground so that is how I use them. I will show you one I did down the street that was placed behind a small wall and placed on a slant.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That is very pretty Sharon.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Yes, it is amazing what you can do with talent and a neighbors Platinum American Express.

JB, I promised you a photo of Snowball. He is our neighbors cat. I babysit when they are out of town and they are always out of town. I bought him some greens from Whole Foods for dogs and cats because he has been de-clawed so he cannot go outside. I think he belongs in a Harry Potter movie.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

What kind of cat is that Sharon?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.