climing vines

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

Year before last I bought a "climbing" rose. Now I know that "climbing" does not always mean that it will actually "climb". Some need to be tied up so it looks like it is climbing, others put out those little tendrils that will actively search for something near by and hang themselves on it, some never intended to climb in the first place, just to ramble around on the ground. What do I look for in the name or appearance of the plant to know which it is and how it will act?

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

Whoops - I see that this question has been answered. Sorry ! I just did not look long enough or hard enough to find the answer.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

That's quite all right - can you post a link to the answer you found - it will help someone, I'm sure.

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

MableRuth.. Will you share with me where you found the answer to your question? Please.

Edited to correct spelling of username:

This message was edited Aug 9, 2010 9:32 PM

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Hopefully mableruth will be able to post a link to the thread that she found...but in case not there are three different types of vines. There are the ones with little "stickies" that can adhere to surfaces (such as ivy, virginia creeper). This kind will climb walls, solid fences, trees, etc because they can stick to flat surfaces. Then there are the "twiners" that send out tendrils that can wrap around things. These are the sort that will climb trellises, chain link fencing, etc very easily, but they can't climb a brick wall without help (lots of vines fall in this category--it's probably the most common kind). Then there are the "scramblers" which have long viney growth, but don't have any means of climbing/attaching to things on their own, so you need to help them out by tying them to a trellis or weaving them through it. Climbing roses are one example of this type.

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks ecrane, I appreciate your coming with this information.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.