Thumbnail by newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

sticks in were they will each go

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

see the sticks?

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Tomorrow I will take a picture of the row of ten planted.

Before you all think you can't see the iris. Its true that the actuall iris plants will not be easily seen in back of the daylililies. But they will be easily seen from the street when they bloom. And this entire garden is set up to be seen from the street.

Plus it should work because the iris and daylilies bloom at different times. I tried a row of daylilikies back there and it didn't work. You could not get down the path at bloom time.

Bakersfield, CA

Great planning, Rita! It's going to look smashing!!!

I really did this out of desperation. I had to plant them somewhere and you know I have no room for all the ones coming. . The more I thought about it, the more I decided that they would be fine in a row back there.

South Hamilton, MA

Remember the mulch shouldn't touch the irises. It should be stunning especially with the brick background.

Boaz, KY

Hey Rita -- I'll take that *doubtful* Jamaican Dream off your hands for ya!! lol :-D That way you won't have to worry about where to plant it! :-)

I love the Jamaican Dream. What a contrast in color.
Rita you are correct. I love the wide flaring falls and ruffles . I also love color and blends. I look for the unusual in Irises. Combination or bright colors.

I agree that Schreiner's rhizomes are huge. I also ordered from Napa this year for the first time and those rhizomes were also huge. I think the reason that rhizomes are so large is due to a longer growing season. They probably bloomed earlier, which gives the rhizomes more time to enlarge after blooming.

I too have a small yard so many of mine are planted along the fence by the sidewalk. They are interplanted with floribunda roses. That way the roses provide color when the irises are finished.

Hee, hee, hee. Jamaican Dream is already planted in that new row I made there. I scraped the straw mulch away were I planted each iris. I will go out and take more mulch away from them before I water them later. I didn't get a chance to water them in before it started to get dark.

Betty's picture of JAMACIAN DREAM is really so much better than the one they have up at Schreiners.

What you might not be able to see in these pictures is that there are roses in back of them. The stacked block terraced wall there they are planted in front of has roses planted up on top.

bloma- I like very dramatic iris also. That can be from a combo of colors or simply solid color that just jumps at you. But it needs lots of ruffles for me. I want the falls to go down, not out but am trying some with flareing falls to see what I think.

I do like wide ruffled falls and I see iris with wide ruffled falls often have flareing falls. I don't know if it just goes together when they hydridize iris or if the breeder just picks the seedlings with flareing falls because they like it that way.

So I got the rest of then planted. Only had 5 left anyway. I put 3 of them in the garden I call tower square and the last two unstairs in the last two spots of my new iris bed with the Mid America and Napa Iris. I decided to plant COME AWAY WITH ME. Since I have it, I might as well let it bloom and decide for myself if I like it instead of judging by a poor quality picture. It went upstairs and the other spot went to GYPSEY ROMANCE.

The other three, AGEAN WIND, DODGER BLUE and SECRET SERVICE went in the tower square garden. The orders still to come from Sutton and Rockytop will finish the spaces in tower square.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I received my order from Schreiner's on Saturday. They were huge like always! And they are planted! Now waiting on orders from Rainbow (got the sale notice and ordered more; they were able to add to my box that was shipping out today and no extra postage! Woo Hoo!); Sutton's and Stanton's. I think I know where they all will go....now to go dig out more grass before they get here!

Wearing Rubies (had to order this one after seeing all the photos)
Bubble Bubble
Cupid's Arrow
Aggressively Forward
Brindled Beauty

Jamaican Dream - bonus (asked for)
Venetian Glass - bonus (didn't ask for)

South Hamilton, MA

siberian irises 'My Little Sunshine' & 'Miss Apple' plus a dwarf pholx arrive today. Just one order of 2 bearded iris yet to arrive.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

MuddyMitts. I fell in love with Moonlit Waters too!! Look at that color... how could anyone NOT love it??? LOL!

Thumbnail by naomimade

I finially downloaded the pictures in the camera of the Schreiners iris planted.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

More

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

And the last picture.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Boaz, KY

That's a beautiful rose, Rita!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.