Irrigating/watering "cottage" garden

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi,

I've planted my cottage & potager type gardens. It's been fun to hand water the babies - it's my favorite early morning ritual, but now that the gardens have been in place for a year or two, it's time to think about irrigation - the yard is too big to hand water long term.

A large part of my yard is xeriscape plants & I put a sprinkler out once a week for them - easy peasy. However, I have several beds which are ornamentals and/or ornamental/herb/veggie mixes & I've planted a lot of self-seeding flowers, so they'll grow where they want. Since I prefer the cottage style & there are no neat rows of plants or empty spaces, my limited knowledge leads me to believe that drip irrigation isn't ideal. The potager type beds are triangular, so I can't imagine a type of sprinkler that I can use, temporarily, which wouldn't waste a tremendous amount of water. I live in Northern California, where we have perpetual drought conditions.

I'd love to have some suggestions about irrigation methods you've used/installed in your cottage gardens.

Please feel free to direct me to any past threads which discuss this or a different forum, if appropriate. I don't want people to have to repeat themselves.

Thanks in advance!

Liz

This thread has 17 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!