What are you sorry you planted......Part 3

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

This picture from this past weekend illustrates how my celandine poppies reseed everywhere and anywhere.
Here's an adventurous fellow who has staked his claim to a scrap of dust wedged between a stone wall and my driveway.
But as I said in prior post, it's actually a pretty flower and is easy to pull, so I don't mind.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I think that photo should be labeled "Determination". That's not at all like my weedy one, pretty but way too weedy.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Pirl - that is a lovely photo of your flower bed. So peaceful looking. Yes, you have definitely ACHIEVED bliss with that one.

DD

Thank you, Dawn. It's also the garden we see most often so it's double the pleasure.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I'm bumping this because people are replying to the older threads. Maybe this one will stick.
So far I don't regret anything I've planted. :-)

You are definitely lucky or a real plant optimist, seeing the good side of every plant. :)

i dont have any regrets either, too hard to grow things here. in fact, i read this thread to get ideas for stuff to plant that will spread.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Creeping Jenny

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I like wirevine, Muhlenbeckia axillaris, but it might be a monster for you, Sherman.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Keep it up, sherman, lol! We'll all be sending you things;)

to survive here plants have to take 110 in the summer, down to 20 or so in winter, little rain, and sucky clay dirt. not much has spread so far. i have planted obediant plant, joepye weed, , trumpet vine, nothing has reseeded itself so far. i wish i coud find something with flowers that will last. so far sweet peas and sunflowers are the only reseeders. i love them but would like more. trying morning glories, and several different vines. oh, and chocolate mint, that survived last winter and is spreading and i really like it. i am open to any and all suggestions. not much chance of anything spreading to the neighbors, too much dirt and rocks between us and none of them are gardeners.

killdawabbit-i wish ! i looked it up and is says it only gets 6 inches tall. does it spread easily?

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

sherman 99------ your obeidient plant could use more water and will spread by runners, also let seeds drop after bloom and will reseed itself. I live in colorado east of Denver, we are condidered high plain desert (only get 15-16" of precipitation a year),(ooops, considered). Also if intrested I do have some plants I'm thinning out if you would like, (pay postage). One in particular is Gypsophilla, Old Hamiana, is a light pink and get 24-36" tall and is a reseeder, perennial, common name is baby's breath. I have grown it in with my tall german bearded iris, bloom at same time and fills in between iris. Another is Verbascum phoenicium, spring bloom and later if cut back; is 18-24", light and dark pink, light and dark purple, and white. They reseed like crazy for me but I love em and are easy to get rid of if needed, I have extras. If intrested d-mail me. Another , Linum perenne, flax common, blue, spring, 24", and reseeds very good for me, my patch is about 4ftX10ft. , very pretty. Hesperis matronalis, (mock phlox), very fragrant, perennial, purple blooms in spring (may-june for me), 4ft.., also a heavy reseeder, I have extras----Lol. Cosmos b. annual, light fragrance, 4ft. blooms spring thru fall, and reseeds for me like crazy, my patch is 6ftX15-20ft., have seed. Saponaria ocimoides, trailing soapwart, light pink, spring bloom, spreads by reseeding. Saponaria, Bouncing Bet, 24-30", very fragrant light pink blooms,(almost peppery sweet). Yarrow, Colorado mix, must be colo mix( reseeds a bit too much for me like older varieties better). Dianthus deltoidies, zing have a nice little patch spreading between other taller perenns, 4-6", spring bloom with red flowers. Nicotiana sandersae, Heaven scent, mix of purples, pinks and white, veryvery fragrant in the evening, these reseed like crazy for me and I love love love them, have seed. I have a litle daisy type of flower is perennial and reseeds like crazy, don't know name, yellow 24-30" and blooms all summer,have plants. Daucus carota, biennial, white, 4-7ft tall, reseeds, white, blooms juneish, is a tall version of Queen Anne's Lace, sun- shade, have seedand maybe a plant or two. Have one, I think might be oregano, perennial, light purple bloom, 24-30", reseeds like crazy, deadhead for further bloom, have plants. Anthemis tinctoria, 20-24", gold, spring-fall, perennial, reseeds, have plants. Adenophora lilifolia, related to campanula, 30-36", purple bells, blooms spring -summer, spreads by seed and runners, have a few extras, sun-shade. Achilea milifolium, The Pearl, spreads by runners, white, 24" all summer, have plants. ...................Two hints to hel retain moisture. 1. peat moss mixed in planting hole. 2. mulch plants tho lightly if wanting things to reseed. (ooooops.. help) . Hope this helps with some ideas, d-mail if intrested. Kathy

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Sherman, my Wirevine doesn't get 6" tall. It pretty much hugs the ground. Maybe 3 or 4" tall. It doesn't have significant blooms but is a pretty glossy foliage groundcover. It survives my zone 6b winters easily.

Have you tried Lamb's Ears? They will take over an entire area for me just by reseeding. Their only drawback is the dead stems late in the fall but they are very easy to break off when they get brittle.
I use them in difficult areas as a groundcover until I can get around to improving the soil and planting that area with something else. They are easy to get rid of. Not a thug. And they are very drought-tolerant.
Not sure if it would work for you.

i planted lambs ears last year and lost all but one plant in the frost we had. i was going to use cuttings from this one to make more and hope they have frost resisitent abilities. i forgot about my calendula, it survived so will be planting more.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

If you can get one plant to bloom you should never need to make cuttings. They are very reliable self-sowers.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Lambs ears OMG if you dont dead head they will be everywhere. They also come up from roots.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

My neighbor keeps trying to give me some... when she moves this summer... i'm yanking them out of our "shared" bed. they've gotten so huge and encroaching onto my half. I dont even find them pretty... if they were, that would be another story.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Gotta admit I dont like them either. I share a house w/DD and SIL the offending staceys are in her beds. They have taken over the early tulips.

that is what i so do not understand. most people dont want stachys due to the spreading, mine all die in the frost and dont come back. (except that one) so frustrating. i wish it would grow and spread.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Might be too hot where you are.

it is not the heat that does them in, mine had no problems with last summer. i did keep them well watered. however, frost was instant death to them.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Maybe they weren't acclimatized? Mine are hardy as a rock in 6b.

i lost lots of things i didnt think i would, most of my succulents, my crepe myrtles, the stachys, geraniums, things that had not had issues with the cold in the past. we just had such prolonged frost, days and days instead of the usual one or two. basically am starting over again in some areas of yard. i guess i will just keep trying things till i end up with plants that i dont lose. i have over 50 different kinds of seeds, vines, shrubs started in pots will see how they go. i also need to not get things that i think are pretty and that i:"hope " will make it. they never do. the good thing is all the cannas and brugs are leafing out and look great, and i didnt lose any mints. so, i will never say anything bad about chocolate mint, it survived, and thrived, and i love the smell.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I would re-try the stuff you lost. It was probably a freak of nature and may not happen again.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

We had a devastating late spring frost 5 or 6 years ago.
I lost 15 japanese maples; established 15yr or older plants, 10+ft tall.
I vowed at the time to never plant another one, since the loss was so painful.
But I look around my yard today and see about as many JM's as I ever had in the past.
Like Kilda, I ultimately decided the frost was a freak event.

That frost killed my daughter's old magnolia - too sad.

Thumbnail by pirl
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Are you guys referring to the freeze in April '07? My heart was broken all that year. Especially for my huge water oaks. They finally totally recovered about 2 years later.
It could happen again but I'm going on as if it never happened.

Yes, I was.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

yea... that was a bad cold snap. only thing i lost that year was all the buds on my Rhods. Only time those plants are pretty is when they are in blooms.

that was also my 1st year winter sowing... so I did lose some seedlings.

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

right now the only thing I'm sorry I planted are so many seeds this winter. LOL

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Maybe we need another thread called 'what are you sorry you ordered'....
About this time of year, with my driveway overloaded with mail-order plants,
I'm pretty sure I didn't order most of this stuff.

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL Robin :)

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I think I regret planting Euphorbia cyparissias, I planted one little piece and now a few years later I have a 6 x 5 area of it. I think I am going to try to get rid of it. I read a little about it and I am worried it might be a losing battle. I do like the way it looks and in my yard I have not found a plant that grows as nicely as it! However I don't like plants that have to be the only one in the garden.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Meredith. If that patch were mine I would probably try planting a few things among the euphorbias that they can't choke out. Maybe a small tree like a Japanese maple, or a rose bush? Many perennials can cope with a spreader like that. Not sure if it would work in your situation. But you wouldn't have to get rid of a plant that you like.

I was considering keeping them along the edge of the woods but I would like to plant wildflowers there as well so I'm scared it will take over. The reason I want to move them is so I can put strawberries there. It's right near my kids swing set and they'd love to be able to eat fresh strawberries. I only grow the alpine ones now and it's mostly due to being scared of regretting planting Strawberries.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Why do you think you might regret planting strawberries?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Wild strawberries are one of the (many) scourges of my yard!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

when i grew strawberries... the birds go to them before i ever got a chance to pick them.

I've heard they spread all over..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.