My new Chicken Coup

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Dollars to doughnuts it was a coon. When did this happen? About 1-2 months ago was coon baby time and we suddenly had huge problems with coons in the trash, in the koi pond and in the coop twice. Once, it opened the people door and the second time it went under the fence (same super small hole you described), around the corner, up the ramp and dragged one of our girls all the way back out that way. Must have gotten tired after it got her out of the coop fence, I found her with just her throat chewed up. I saw the same little monster the next night on my midnight patrol, so it was definately a coon. Other option is a possum. They're slow and pretty dumb, but have been known to kill but not really eat coons. There's a great site here to help solve these problems:

http://www.freewebs.com/professorchickenspredators/

I did 2 things. 1 was the big hav-a-harts, the other was putting snares at the fence hole. Both worked. Nice thing about the snare is you know the one you're catching was up to no good.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I LOVE the coop. Just darling. Can't believe you built it yourself. I'm very envious of that talent.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

vnickdd... Thank you for the link. I hadn't even thought about a possum, lots of them around. The first attack on the new coup was last Wednesday. We have caught 4 Coons in the past week. Today daughter and I were riding the horses to check the pasture fences and her dog chased three young coons up a tree. They are away from the house, hope they keep it that way.

Gwendalou... Thanks. I have always loved to build things. XDH and I built our barn (many years ago). I built a 16' deck across the front of our house about 10 years ago. I also built a stone walk and steps leading to the deck. I am not one to sit still for long. LOL

This message was edited Aug 3, 2010 9:17 PM

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

We caught another "Troll" last night. This one was a possum. Think the Chickens were giving him a good talking too?

We took him to his new home by the river, he left in a hurry, if he looks around he might find a couple of Raccoons that he knows..

Thumbnail by picabo
Richmond, TX

Congratulations! What are you using for bait?

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

He went for the Honey Buns. We usually bait with something sweet in one trap and meat in the other.

Richmond, TX

Yup, you'd have caught me in that one!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

DH always ask why I waste them in the trap. Changes his tune when I catch something. LOL

Hayesville, NC(Zone 7a)

Learn from my sad tale: from varments, 1 inch fencing is not enough protection!
My miniature hen was setting in her own quarters, fenced with 1". A big king snake
(I saw it) got through that and ate all the eggs!!! I have no rooster at the moment.
So I drew pictures of the saga, and took them to the Mexican store where employees
have chickens, and they understood exactly! I went to the employee's house, where
I saw a rooster walking around, and he gave eggs to me, and I put two pink eggs and
one dark brown egg under the little hen. and we are all happy! Oh, and until little hen's
quarters are secured, she is in the aviary with the cockatiel and parakeet. It is very
large. (I read that you are not supposed to combine those two tropicals, but they are
what my darling daughter-in-law gave to me)
Fitsy

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I've heard marshmallows are the best bait. Beware what you use in the traps. We tried hot dogs one day and after about 1/2 hour of wondering where Fiji, our dog, was, found this. I'm not sure if he learned his lesson or not.

Thumbnail by vnickdd
(Zone 6b)

Vnickdd, that is spectacular picture. Lovely rocks and awesome pooch. Is that a pond? Whatever it is is very pretty. I want one.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

It's a pond, the ultimate do it yourself project! We just finished it this spring.

Richmond, TX

While we're on the subject of warnings: I am reluctant to set unattended traps as my neighbor caught her own cat in one and a pack of dogs tore up the trap and the cat.
Also I had a similar experience with snakes and 1" chicken wire: a water moccasin ate a goldfish out of our fountain he came in through the 1" wire but could not get back out until he regurgitated the fish, alas no longer living.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Porkpal... What a shame on the snake. (not!) We had to resort to the same "cure" on a couple of Rattlesnakes a few years ago. Not going to try to relocate those things.
Vnickdd...Cute picture of the pooch. I have a similar picture of my cat "WaterMelon" we had a problem with "Trolls" in the barn a few years ago. (A "Troll is what we call unknown creatures of the night) We set the trap in the barn and caught the cat. Good thing, next day I discovered it was a Skunk in the barn. Glad we caught the cat and NOT the skunk. LOL Had to use the 22 to catch the Skunk. Not going to relocate those either.

Hayesville, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh dear! We've learned lots the hard way, but "living is easy" when
you catch a cat instead of a skunk! (except when dogs get to it first.
I'm so sorry about that!!)

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Fitsy... Thanks for the information on the 1" wire. Since the last massacre I don't let my "girls" go in the chain link pen until I can line the pen with smaller wire. I saw some wire that was 1/2" x 1" only 4 foot high I am wondering if I use that if it will keep "Trolls" and snakes out.
That has got to be cute, the hen in with the Cockatiel and parakeet, hope she can hatch her eggs.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Not to distract you all from discussion of property taxes & where everyone has lived, but Picabo, do you have additional photos or plans that you could post? I'm so enamored of this coop!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you Summerkid, I don't have any plans. I was just building to fit the post already in the ground. Lots of size decisions were made to get the best use of the siding. I saw a picture of a hen house with that scooped roof and added that. The scoop in the roof was cut from a 14'x1"x12" board. I marked up 4" from the bottom and used a string compass to mark the curve.
The second picture I posted shows the curved 1x12 and the roof supports in place. The third picture shows the 1x4s on the roof.
I started the roof supports on the ends and worked to the center following the slope of the 1x12. After the roof supports were in place I used 8'x1"x4" boards for the roof (Sorry, I don't know what these things are called. Just know what they look like, LOL) The 1x4s had to be cut to fit the curve of the roof and the shingles had to be trimmed to fit the curve. That is why I choose to use the 8 foot boards instead of 14' boards.
I wanted to build nest boxes under the roof edge so left enough overhang to cover the nest boxes then cut the 2x4s to the same length from the house. Hope this helps. I'll answer any questions that you have. I have looked for the Internet picture that I used tor the roof but can't find it.

One change I would have made if I had it to do over....I would have made the top of the roof overhang on the front and back at least 12" (Top only and slope to the bottom of the roof. Make sense?? It would have given a few more challenges but would have looked cute from the side.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2010 8:35 PM

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

I keep coming back to look at this.

Brings to mind the quaint Carmel by the sea cottages with the waterfall rooflines ?

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I haven't noticed the Carmel cottages. I'll try to notice next time we are there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.