Hummingbird Pictures

Glendale , AZ(Zone 9b)

It is Buddleia/ Orange Scepter (although in the AZ heat it fades during the summer to yellow...)- one of three different Buddleia's I have in the back yard....

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

HB today

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

another

Thumbnail by jmorth
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I need help identifying a Hummer I have in my yard. It is very agressive and chases the others away from the feeder. I have some very prominent Ruby Throat, but this one is different. It has a completely white underside except for a tiny little spot of red on it's throat, and it's back is a resilient green. I don't know how to post several pics at a time, so am going to post several. I tried to get pics tonight but they were flying so fast and furious, it was hard to get them in the viewfinder. Any help would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by Crit

2 of my Ruby Throated

Thumbnail by Crit

back of bird

Thumbnail by Crit
Parkville, MD

I am from Maryland here are two hummers on one feeder.. it was just luck that i got this shot...
Elaine

Thumbnail by bobgoestodaves
Parkville, MD

another one

Thumbnail by bobgoestodaves
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Crit...it still looks like a RT to me, just maybe a female or immature one. I can't be relied on for idng birds so wait til someone else pops in.

Nice shots Bob... love the feeder too.

Thanks Sheila .... it had me confused with the total white underbelly and white on the tips of the tail. I was hoping I had something 'special'. LOL I've always had the RT here in OK, but that is about all I've noticed. I'm thrilled we have so many Hummers at our new house. I was worried it would take years for them to find us!

Thumbnail by Crit

Multi birds on one feeder, and 3 that had just taken off.

Thumbnail by Crit
NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

We saw just one early this week. Now it appears that they are all gone. We will leave the feeder up for another week in case we get a few that are departing from areas North of us. Not at all sure but it seems like we do get other hummers moving South some years.
They sometimes stay for a day or two and then move on.

I always leave mine up for a while for any birds that might of been hurt or ill and are late going south.

Bajamar, Mexico

I live in Baja Norte about an hour south of San Diego. Between my neighbors feeders, and my garden we have literally dozens of hummingbirds feeding, and fighting all day long. Here's a dusk shot from about mid August.

Thumbnail by Deepwater805
Melbourne, FL

A few shots taken today.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Going after the Firebush.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

3rd pic.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Bad shot, but this one also went over to some Banana flowers.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Bajamar, Mexico

This shot is from a few days ago. I counted nine, and possibly a tenth. In the upper right hand corner there's what looks like wing flutter. Anyway, these guys were swarming one morning, and I went out with my camera. With a digital camera it's hard to take action shots., because there's often a second or two lag from when you push the button, and when it actually takes the shot. You just have to be patient, and lucky.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2010 9:10 PM

Thumbnail by Deepwater805
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Nice hummers, the only thing left up here are Skippers and the Hummingbird Moth (pic couple days ago)

Thumbnail by jmorth
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I love this thread! Great shots everyone. I wish my Mom were still alive. I could turn her on to DG and this hummer-lovers forum. I especially love seeing more than one hummer on the feeder. The only time that happened around here was after Katrina. They were so hungry, they shared! Time to go put my feeders out now...

bariolio......... I'm with you. My MOM would be in hog...er... hummingbird heaven. She did love her hummingbirds! I think of her when I'm setting out watching them.

Say, even though this is a HB and not a plant forum, I have a bunch of Purple Wandering Jew in 2 whiskey barrells (I use it in front of other plants to trail over the rim) that is going to freeze this winter. I bring a bunch of it in, but there is more than I want to mess with. I can send 7 or 8 branches in a manilla envelope for around $2.74. I've send some out already. I would send it out for a flat $2.50 (I would prefer postage) rather than try to keep track of how much postage is on each of them. I will try to get as close to that rate as I can when I package them. I will be sending it out until it is gone. Most of them already have roots on them.
Soooooooooooo, if you want some just let me know. You can send me your addy by dmail. I mail out on Monday-Wednesday so they make it before the weekend.

Crit

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.