What's in full bloom now? JULY 15-31 2010

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1112786/

What is in full bloom/color in your yard now? Help me build our bloom database by sharing what you feel is at it's peak right now.
Pictures are not necessary, but are always very much enjoyed. Snipets of other people's gardens are always a joy, and what a wonderful way to discover new plants that you simply MUST have!

I am a couple of days delinquent in starting this new thread, but I am sure that I am not the only one who took full advantage of the cooler days over the weekend to get stuff done in the garden. I had to force myself to go in at dinner time, and by then, I was too darn tired to even touch the computer. The good thing is, I can acutally see some of my plants amongst the weeds now!

The daylily addict in my requires me to again start the thread with a daylily photo as my blooms are still going strong. Starting to get in to the mid season bloomers now... some of the earliest are already almost done after the stretch of warm weather.

This is GIFT FROM HEAVEN

Thumbnail by Rarejem

My annual candytuft that self seeds in my dahliah bed is in it's full glory right now...........

Thumbnail by Rarejem

I am pretty embarassed to post a pic of my poor little hosta who has been slug fodder and now looks like swiss cheese, but it is blooming gloriously right now......

Thumbnail by Rarejem

I wish I had a camera that could capture my daylily bank in true detail because it is just amazing. This is my section planted with old "common" daylily varieties, and I adore it. It is a steep clay bank that was cut behind the area that we constructed our shop, and the daylilies do a wonderful job of soil retention and low maintenance coverage of a steep hillside.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Daylily Cherry Eyed Pumpkin with Shady Lady peeking up from behind.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

My very favorite allium is almost at it's peak now......

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Pink astilbe is now at its prettiest.........

Thumbnail by Rarejem

And the last one for now..... My Queen of the Prairie ( filipendula purpurea ) is at it's full glory right now too. It is so lovely, but not very well behaved. I yanked several babies on Saturday out of the front of the garden, and had already done that once before this spring.

Thumbnail by Rarejem
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Julie your garden looks wonderful. Love your lavender candytuft, I have not seen them in that color. I have the white one. Would love some seed if it is easy to collect. Your daylily slope is great too.

Bea, I would be glad to save you some seeds from the candytuft. There are a few white mixed in, but the majority of this variety comes out lavender. I just love how happily it self sows, and that bed is mainly dahlias with a few daylilies and iris in the very front, so it gives a nice splash of color between the bloom stages of the other plants.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I'll take a couple of filipendula babies next time you're yanking and some purple candytuft seeds, too. You can just start me a basket of stuff . . . LOL

Hey, I noticed that the persicaria is just starting to blossom. These are literally pieces that made their own way after I dug into mine last year. This stuff is a quick grower.

Kathy, I will definitely save you some candytuft as well as some filipendula babies. The filipendula are so pretty that I usually move them rather than composting them, but I was on a mission this weekend to get that area done, so I was merciless towards what was in the wrong spot. I am much happier to have wee plants go to good homes ^_^. I have bad news about my persicaria... it fell victim to some garden "help" a week ago. Don knows how stressed I have been about being behind in my yard, so he and one of his friends tested out some weedeaters that they had been repairing (he does that on the side to make extra $$) on my upper terrace as a surprise for me. It looked much better, but it came at the expense of some of my plants in that area....the persicaria, some filipendula, some forsythia, some daylily seedlings.... Sigh...

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Ahh ha. Don't you worry, Julie. If that one didn't survive (and I think it probably did), I have many more starts for you. I ripped it out and still have babies.

I'm sorry about your other plants. I know so many women who have at least one story about their live-in "help" and lost plants. I'm sure he picked that spot because he didn't think you had anything there . . .

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I commiserate about the 'helpful' mowing. My Chermesina Willow (coral bark willow) was mowed down by the guy who stores his stuff on our property. He is supposed to do work in trade for the space we allow him, but this goes in fits and starts. He was trying to make up for lost time and mowed the whole yard. I wasn't able to find that same tree locally, so replaced it with a Salix magnifica which grows fast and is big enough now it is not in danger of accidental mowing.

Kathy, you are right... he specifically went to the terrace because he thought it wasn't planted so he couldn't get in trouble there. He is always so careful when he think that he has to be. I think that's why most gardeners cringe at the thought of "help" in their garden.. even if they are really far behind. Mom and I call it the collateral damage of garden help......

Holly... we cross posted. Your poor willow! I haven't decided if it is better to have someone unknowingly destroy a plant when they are trying to help you or to do it yourself "accidentally" with a mower or weed eater because you were trying to reclaim an area. I don't know how many little tree starts I have destroyed with the weed eater....

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Love the candytuft growing throughout. I love that look in plants.

I have a filependula in a pot that is just flowering that I got from roundup last year. It must be from you! It's going into the ground this weekend. I have a couple spots I could put it. Wonder how much shade it can take. Since it multiplies, I think I'll put it in a sunny spot and then try some of the babies in the shadier spots later.

Gwen, I have some growing in sun and some in part shade, and they both do just fine. All of mine are in wetish areas, and that seems to be the key for running rampant. I did have several at roundup last year, so bet that is where you got yours.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Hosta in full bloom. Others with a lot of buds.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Pink mallow. I've had this for years and never knew what it was called.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

And a white mallow that volunteered by the pond. I have these all around the house now. It is a good one to cut down as soon as it's blooms start to look bad. It will re-sprout quickly. It has no problems and looks good in a mix of plants.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2010 5:10 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Pretty!! My Lavatera is in bloom now - this is the "leap" year and I'm loving it!! Will try to get pictures this week.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

What is a slug? LOL. Nice photos from your gardens. I am stuck in Bellevue with no time in my garden. Boo hoo. Oh well lunch at Bellevue Botanical tomorrow.

Pretty mallow Willow!

Quote from Soferdig :
What is a slug? LOL. .
phbbttttt..... :P

I noticed today on the way in that the perennial sweetpeas in the Auburn valley are in their full glory now. There is a freeway overpass where I get on 167 that is just full of them and it was quite pretty. I usually spend a bit of time sitting there, so will try to get a pic in the next couple of days.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2010 10:14 AM

The roses are slowly recovering now, and this one caught my eye last night. This is DAYBREAKER

Thumbnail by Rarejem
Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Tropical Hibiscus is blooming

Thumbnail by LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Hardy fuschia from Julie and Sharon at last year's Round Up is blooming again.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Cerinthe Blue Kiwi

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Angel Trumpet from cuttings that Katye gave me last fall. They smell heavenly.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Lauren's Grape Poppies

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Yeah, Daylily from Rarejem

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Sunflower, Chianti (I think) from Pony

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Another Daylily from Rarejem

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Volcano Phlox

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Monarda

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Roses 'Just Joey' is the apricot one. Smells delicious.

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Lynn, I had chianti sunflowers come out like that too- some were the correct dark red, others weren't.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful pics. Love the purple poppy.

Looks like Lynn has been playing with her new camera! Your world is looking fantastic Lynn!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Nice pictures Lynn, your garden is growing BIG TIME.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.