Cycads on a slope.

Los Angeles, CA

Any suggestions on planting cycads and palms on a slope. The side of my house has a sloped area that I'm planting my cycads and some palms on. It is a steep slope that does create a challenge. Would you plant them perpendicular to the slope or straight up and down? As it stands I'm keeping them in the black irrigation pot to make sure they will acclimate well and will grow in the area first. It's a slope on the West side that gets plenty of sun. I did plant a large aloe on the slope last week and did have trouble.

noonamah, Australia

If you plant them perpendicular to the slope they'll grow out upright anyway. Palms with curved trunks can look good, depending on species of course. Cycads are usually slower growing so you don't get that effect any time soon. Generally, it's a value judgement. I'd do it with some, if there's plenty of room, and fill in with shorter plants.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

west facing slopes in LA is a great place for many cycads and palms for several reasons. One is you can see them all better (like a built in display). Two is the drainage is such that overwatering is a lot less likely to occur (particularly important for a lot of the nicer cycads you can grow here). Lastly a slope facing that way is a good place to plant tender plants that the cold might get to... slopes are the best place to keep cold from settlling, and facing west slopes are warmer, and the most wind protected. You are very lucky to have such a situation. Will take a lot more work, but it will be worth it for sure.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

these are not cycads, but you can see what an amazing display it is to see these on a slope... none get in the way of each other

Thumbnail by palmbob

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.