yellow streaks in cycad leaves

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Does anyone know what causes part of a cycad leaf to turn bright yellow and the yellowing to continue over to all the leaves?

noonamah, Australia

That happens with mine before they fall off. Then there's a flush of new leaves/fronds. Although, I gather you'd be in the middle of your growing season so I wouldn't really expect that to be the cause . Is the plant in the ground or in a pot, and which species? Could be its soil is too wet, if that's the case it's a big problem. You need to improve the drainage.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I've seen it in some Macrozamia spp. and some Zamia spp. No drainage problems noted.

noonamah, Australia

All the Cycas I have/have seen go through the process of dropping all their leaves before the new flush, except my C. revoluta. But its behaviour is bizzare and unpredictable anyway. The only Zamias and Bowenia I have only lose fronds bit by bit and not 'en masse'. And the couple of Macrozamias I'm familiar with don't do it, to my knowledge.

If it's not one particular plant but is generally affecting a lot of them (and no apparent drainage problems) then perhaps it is part of their natural cycle.

I understand you have a lot of lime in the soil there. Maybe that's causing some sort of imbalance. Only guessing, of course, but the answer lies somewhere.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I took a photo of a Macrozamia miquelii that is showing the symptoms I attempted to describe.

Thumbnail by amygirl
noonamah, Australia

It seems to be the older fronds doing it, from the bottom. Maybe it's just senescence.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

It is spreading to some of the younger leaves as well.

noonamah, Australia

I'm a bit stumped really. All I can think is mineral imbalance possibly caused by high lime (high pH) content in ground. Do you know how long they've been there (planted in that spot)?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.