Wine berries

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

For the past three weeks I have enjoyed picking and eating wine berries. They were earlier this year. Some consider them invasive,but I like them both the berry and the plant itself.

I'd love to hear your take on this non native species.

Thumbnail by coleup
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

That may be the volunteer I got last year. I thought it would be a blakberry and decided to let it grow. It got loo oo oong trailing branches that would root if they hit dirt. This spring I moved it and pruned it, and it bloomed on side shoots on those stems just as blackberries are supposed to (ifI remember right) These are my berries. They were small and seedy but sweet. DS liked them but we didn't really use them much.
I used to eat wild berrries in the woods but I thought they were bigger and redder, Maybe those were the wineberries.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, wineberries are very distinctive and easy to ID. The canes are striking with their reddish hue and coarse "fuzzy" look. See http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/250857/

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanksgreenthumb. My berries have purplish stems with a bloom of white, and are very thorny like blackberries! Def not wineberries here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.