Love my flame throwers!

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

To celebrate the 4th, DH and I headed for Jungle Music and picked up two Chambeyronia macrocarpas (one with a new leaf!), two Dypsis pembanas and two foxy lady seedlings and had lunch at Casa de Bandini, (I had a fruity margarita). Was a good day :)

Thumbnail by jackiescompost

Trying again with the photo (1st attempt looks yellow and washed out and was a raw image so I'm going to try a jpeg). Unfortunately, it doesn't appear we can delete our messages.

Thumbnail by jackiescompost

Note to self... don't upload raw images.

noonamah, Australia

That's the size Chambeyronia macrocarpa you bought? I have one, tiny compared to that - Chambeyronia macrocarpa 'hookerii'. Only today I was trying to work out where to plant it out. They're a beautiful palm.

It's not planted so it looks about two feet taller than it will once planted. Got two that size. Our first macrocarpa is really huge! Trunk height is about 4 1/2 to 5 feet (to the bottom of the crown shaft) and about 17 feet overall, trunk diameter at the base almost 9 inches. One of my favorites in our yard.

noonamah, Australia

Still plenty of room for growth, they can get to 20 metres (65.6 feet).

Not sure they can get that size in soCal. Would like to see one, though.

noonamah, Australia

I realised, got 2 of them. Var. Hookeri needs shade whereas the straight out Chambeyronia macrocarpa can handle full sun. Makes it a bit more difficult. To keep it fully shaded (only filtered morning sun) means they'll get lost easily in the canopy of trees.

Also got Ptychosperma burretianum, Calyptrocalyx hollrungii, Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus, which have red new fronds. And Cyrtostachys renda which has red stems/trunks. I like the colour red in palms. Unfortunately I lost some seedlings of Dypsis pinnatifrons, another red one.

We have one hookeri that was planted last year (seems it's fronds are more red than the macrocarpas). Right now, it gets lots of shade but the trees shading it are going to be cut down (a Ficus and Eugenia berry). However, it will have coverage from some kings, a Kentia, and other palms. Might turn ugly for a while when we cut down the Ficus until the kings get some height on them.

Gainesville, FL

I have 2 in my greenhouse, one getting pretty sizeable, realized much too late I planted it way too close to a wall but I think it'll adapt. I love it when they put out those red red leaves! Yours is beautiful, happy BD!

It's kind of coffee colored and green, now. Unfortunately, the red doesn't last long. How close is yours to the wall? The first one we planted a few years ago is about three feet from a block wall on the north side of the wall. It's done really great.

Garden Grove, CA(Zone 10a)

Very nice. I went to the same place to eat last time I went to Jungle Music. I picked up a Foxy Lady but with a different Veitchia species.

Quote from TropiSocal_dave :
Very nice. I went to the same place to eat last time I went to Jungle Music. I picked up a Foxy Lady but with a different Veitchia species.

???? Can you explain that further because I don't know what that means :)

Jackie

Gainesville, FL

I think he's referring to your original post saying you went to Casa de Bandini for lunch

Sorry for the confusion. I went to Casa de Bandini for lunch. I picked up the Foxy Lady not at the Casa but at Jungle Music. Ha Ha

No, I'm referring to your comment about picking up a Foxy Lady but a different Veitchia species. Different than what? Is there more than one species of Foxy Lady? (I mean from Jungle Music :) )

noonamah, Australia

My understanding is that a Foxy Lady is a cross between a Foxtail (Wodyetia bifurcata) and a Veitchia species. There's only one species of Wodyetia but several species of Veitchia, so you can get different Foxy Ladies from using different species of Veitchia. I have friends who have one about 7 to 8 metres tall, a very beautiful looking palm, but I forget which Veitchia they said it's a cross from.

My understanding is that no two look alike even coming from the same parents. It's part of the confusion.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I haven't noticed that... they all look very similar to me. Very good cross by the way, with the cross being more cold hardy and faster growing than either of the two parents (and better looking, too)... pretty amazing

Most crosses are V. arecina or even joannis. Mine is supposed to be V. montgomeryana.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.