Transplanting pygmy sundews

Arlington, TX

Wow, I tried repotting my 2 ailing pygmy sundews hoping better soil would improve their poor health. Those little things are nearly impossible to get out of the pot! I saw a few very delicate roots and am not sure they will survive the move. Lesson learned.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

How did they do? Did they survive the move?

My cat got up to a window sill that is six feet above the ground to get to my indoor CPs to eat their flowers and cleaves, and managed to tip the saucer that held seven of my most prized pygmies. I lost both mypots of Scorpions and an entire cluster of pygmies in another. I was pretty crushed.

Right now I have a D. paradoxa getting ready to bloom. One of the buds my cat ate is the D. P. so I can't wait to see it.

Arlington, TX

No both died and I was pretty sad. I think the pygmies are just more work than I can give them. I am sticking with the sundews that are easier to grow because I just love them.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have my pygmies in an east window under a light, and keep them watered and they grow very well. I am sorry you lost yours. I had my scorpions for years, so I was super bummed.

Arlington, TX

That's one I had and it was a cool little plant. I need to figure out why it never did very well for me.
C

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Pygmies I'm told do not do well if transplanted. Better to wait for gemmae or seed. I grow D. Scorpioides and find them pretty easy so far. I even started a bunch last December from gemmae. Mine are grown under a T12 light about 5-6 inches above the plants.

Arlington, TX

where can I buy some good grow lights?

Newcastle, WA(Zone 8b)

You can buy really expensive lights which are special plant growing lights, which put out near-sun spectrum light. Or...you can buy a 4' shop light which holds two light tubes. The best size tube is the T8, which is 1 inch in diameter, which most shop lights are now. Just get the cool white tubes, not Gro Light. At the local Home Depot or Lowes (don't know what stores you have locally) I can buy the light and two tubes for about $15.00. I have used them extensively, and the cool white tubes work great! I have also spent lots of dollars on the plant lights, and they don't work any better for my CPs. Try to place the lights about 1 foot above the tops of the plants, but always go by temperature. If you need to, move the light further away to keep the temp in the upper 70s to lower 80s deg F, but this depends on the preferred temperature range of the plants you place under the lights.

Ron

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I love my pygmies, but when my cat helped by the ferret uprooted them, it really caused a problem. Some I pushed back in the pot and they were fine, but I lost all five of my Scorpions, which totally bumms me out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.