Shading with vines

Big Creek, KY

I wanted to post a picture of my first attempt at "natural shading". I need to get the morning glories growing up on the roof to have them make a real difference, but I just thought it would be fun to try. I might try to come up with some sort of "roof trellis". The other part of their limited success was that my dane puppy kept digging up the ones on the back left corner, so they haven't grown too well. Puppies have to be cute, or they'd never make it to adulthood....

Thumbnail by snoggle
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

It looks as if you've got a good start - do you have the vines planted all along the side of the g.h.?

Big Creek, KY

Yeah, I planted them on both sides in front and behind the vents, but the ones in the back aren't growing as well due to my puppy's "interest" in them (sometimes I wonder why I keep trying to blend my love of gardening and my love of large dogs). I planted zinnia below the vents. For some reason the morning glory haven't bloomed at all. I thought they would have bloomed by now, but there aren't even any buds. :-(

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

snoggle - I had some MG's that took their time blooming so I fertilized with some bloom buster and that did the trick ( I guess that's what did it anyway ! ) anyhow their blooming now.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I have grape vines growing up one side of my GH. My theory is that, since they're deciduous, there will be shade in the summer and sunlight in the winter.
Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.