July 2010

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I started a new thread for all you chatters. LOL

I finally got pic of this huge spider we have down in the shed. Had to get creative. LOL He's about 8 inches across.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Gravois Mills, MO

Pepper---- Nasty looking thing. I got some on the dock that are nasty looking to but not nearly that large. I HAD some more in the graveled area along the lake front that built so many ground webs you could hardly see the gravel in the mornings with dew. I tried to spray them and done no good. The other day I took my trusty weed torch down there and blasted away. No more spider webs now. You could see the fire actually shooting out around the gravel. Bet they are all crispy now.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi all, a new month, and a hot one!
I'm gonna start the month out right with a nice
long post! Sorry! lol

I went to Walmart today to do some shopping,
and see if they had anymore Elephant Ear bulbs.
No more Elephant Ear bulbs at that one. I'll
try another before I give up looking! By that bridge,
thanks for the idea, I'll remember your suggestion, billyp.

I never was much of a fan of Blue Ridge Nursery's prices.
I went there several times tho on Sundays when they are
closed, on the way to my Mom's to visit, just to walk
thru the Hosta varieties on display there, which is nice.
I'm gonna try to go there tho this weekend on my way to
my Mom's and see if they have a 'Blue Angel' on sale.

I'm thinking about getting a tattoo of a tree! Not very
big, maybe just 3 or 4 inches around. Something like that
"Sleepy Hollow" tree, you know the tree in the movie that
the horse comes out of. Altho, the tree would still be
all gnarly like that one, but a little more realistic, more
branches. Any ideas on that? I'm thinking like a really old
Oak tree that has turned plagiotropic, where the twigs turn upward
and the trunk is all buttressed from age. Like me, I'm getting old!
I got a photo below of a similar tree for my proposed tattoo.

Yeah billyp, running over my foot DID smart pretty good! I
remember my Aunt coming out (she lived next-door), she asked
me "how do you feel?" I replied "like my foot was ran over"
I got a cast on and did the off work thing. I remember crawling
around the house because it hurt too much to try to walk in the beg-
inning. I'd freak people out when I answered the door all sitting
on the floor! lol It wasn't so bad actually, it healed up stronger than it
was, and I was getting paid to sit around!

Nice Daylily, Pepper, I'll be looking forward to mine making a big
nice clump like yours.
That is a nasty looking spider, I wouldn't want to walk into it's
web at nite!

This message was edited Jul 2, 2010 11:30 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Eeekk, there he is again! I really hope to never see an 8'' spider!

Oz, yep, crispy is probably right!

Will, that's an original idea and I think it's a neat tree! Not liking that many needle pokes, I'll pass on tattoos. One hole in each ear is enough adornment for me, LOL! Yeah, the foot being stronger is a bonus. Just remember, it will hurt twice as bad if you ever break or fracture it again!!

Another busy day coming up. It's the last nice one before it turns hot tomorrow!

~ ~ ~ to all missing!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Course it turns hot today I am on vacation!
Momma nature is not being very kind to me this year...rofl

Yucky spider, don't mind them if they stay where I am not.

Tatto, ouch!

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Billy sorry for the late response but I am in the Guard. Here is a pict from a dayliy farm in Columbia.

http://www.mcconnells-plantland.com/

Thumbnail by allanme79

Oh, darn I wanna go.

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Oz - Thanks for posting the pic of your 6-ff. hosta. Wow! I've never seen one that tall. Your garden behind you looks nice, too.

Pepper - That's a HUGE spider! Scary-looking thing. I'm not normally afraid of spiders, but that one might change my mind.

Will - Loved your truck story! ROTFL!! I have never had a broken bone either. (Hopefully, I didn't just jinx myself by saying that. LOL)

Well, here's my latest story...happened a couple of days ago. I was trimming a vine next to my garage door, and I noticed a couple of wasp nests under the eave about two feet away. I was keeping my eye on them and they were fine while I was cutting the vine one stem at a time. When I couldn't reach the top, I pulled down several stems, which made a whooshing sound. Well, I guess the wasps didn't like that and came after me. I got stung twice on the left hand. Now, up until last year I had never been stung by a wasp or bee. Last year I got stung a couple of times on the leg, and it wasn't bad...more annoying than anything. So, I thought these stings would be the same - they hurt, but I figured that would go away after a while. Wrong!! (Commercial break for Raid Wasp and Hornet Killer - My DH heard the commotion and came out and sprayed the wasps. That stuff killed them *instantly*.) Anyway, I kept working and after a while I realized that my hand was really hurting. I looked at it and, wow, was it swollen! Then of course I had to get my glove off..ouch! I decided I'd better go take care of it and leave my gardening chores for later. Well, long story short, it hurt all day long. I kept having to put ice on it every hour or so. Basically, I could not use my left hand for the day. Later I was talking to a friend whose husband is a doctor and she said that he thinks the wasps seem to be especially virulent this year. He has seen some stings way worse than other years. Mostly, I was mad because it was a cool day, I was planning to work in the garden all day, and I couldn't get anything done... even inside. >:-[ Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Here is a another pict. I spent $80 on daylilies for a family friend that helped with my wedding. Luckly I will be able to get some fans of them when I build my house.

Thumbnail by allanme79

allanme, what a great present for someone. It will give and give for years. Love that daylily spider. Columbia isn't that far, but it means not working in the garden and I am soooooooooooooooo far behind.

Would someone come over here and show me how to arrange pots so it doesn't look like a bunch of pots sitting around! These pots are like the waterfall on the watergarden, if I look at it I have to move something! uggggh! I have been on the container site and there are some beautiful arrangements. I can do one singe pot and have it planted and be happy, but with multiple pots with one thing in them, makes me crazy.

Short, I have 3 white little fishes. Have a couple of gold ones that have the fins of my big white fish and they are going to be beautiful I think. Excited for them to grow up. I have tried taking pictures of the fish, but doesn't work to well and always afraid I am going to drop the camera.

Here is a $50.00 daylily, not in my garden...rofl I may have already posted this, can't remember June was a long time ag.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Gravois Mills, MO

I have been stung by wasp several times. and honey bees too. I have never been hit by a hornet, bumblebee or scorpion. I know a few people in the area have got stung by one. Ours around here or not leathal but they tell me they will put a hurt on you for at least a week. Another thing I give a wide birth are those thing that look like great big ants. They are really ground wasp. suppose to carry the most painful sting of the stinging insects in the state. I see them around here every now and then.

Ewww.. yeow! Wasp stings DO smart! Glad to see you are alright from them Ima, some people have allergic reactions to them and it can be fatal!

Yeah, it never really occurred to me billyp about the needle part. I don't think it will affect my psychy so much in a tattoo as a medical shot does! A friend got a tattoo recently and he was talking about how bad it hurts and everything, I think he's just trying to scare me! I think its all in the mind and I never want a medical type shot, but I want a tattoo, anyway maybe that'll keep me from passing out, I'll just keep thinking that..lol

3 white fishes happ?! What do you got going on over there?! I don't think your supposed to paint the fish, you just feed the paint TO them!
Those daylilies ARE pretty, happ.

Anybody ever seen a Pier One glass fish with Fountain Grass (P. alopecuroides) in the mouth and a Hen and Chick in the tail?! See the photo..haha!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi, Allanme, I was thinking of you when I waved :o) Wow, so many pretty daylilies! I bookmarked the link.

ImaMes, I hope that never happens to you again. I'm sorry that it happened now. That is pure misery! I was stung by the wasp I had walked past four times already that day, so I sure know that burning feeling. And to get it twice! Oh my! ROTFL over the commercial break!! I hear you on missing a cool day. I learned to have DH spray any nest I see now too. They like the sideporch, right above the door. Especially now, since one nailed me for no good reason, they are all dead! They also like to scrape the clothespins, so I have to watch when I'm hanging up clothes. Another one that hurts like the dickens are the black and yellow hornets that like apple pulp. They burn a long time! I realize they are protecting their own, but I have the choice to delete them :o)

Allanme, that is a great gift to give, and so nice to get fans back too! These sure are nice daylilies! I have a few that must have looked prettier in the cataloge. In person, eh! I need to move them next to a complimentary flower to bring out the color.

Happ, the single pots should be tucked under shrubs or any leaves hanging down to add something. I would enjoy the picture of the expensive daylily too, and this one is unique! You are just going to have to get pictures of the fish! A guy on the Weather forum just got a large fish that's half chocolate brown. Gorgeous!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1109280/#new POST #7936714. Right under Pepper's spider!

Will, I've seen the fish planters before. I think they are so cool! You'll have to get a picture when the plants get large. I'll bet the fountain grass ends up looking just like a spray of water! LOL! I'm betting a tattoo hurts, but in some places more than others. Anything over a bone, painful. Still, a tree would be unique! A nice tribute to nature too.

It's been run run run! I have been working on enlarging shrub beds that are hard to mow around. I was tired of pulling the grass I missed, LOL! I'm working on the small round butterfly bed now. I have to move a rambling rose, if we ever get our driveway, and I have no place ready for it. So I'm trying this spot. The caryopteris my neighbor gave me is wilty every day. I'm not sure what will happen in today's heat, but I'll leave it till next year. I think I'll shade it with an old sheet. It's going to get really hot!

I haven't had any cloudy days to get any pictures either. The sun really washes out the colors. I've had too many mosquitos to linger anyway.

My new iris are doing well! They're putting out new side leaves, so I know they'll make it!

Have a nice safe day all!

Got up before the sun and went to the city market. Ate, walked, talked, and had a good time. A friend bought a huge hanging basket that was beyond beautiful! They had people making flower arrangements and they were so darn pretty. I bought another lily, blackberry bush, raspberry bush, and some iris, and that was about it, oh yeah the food...forgot the best part....rofl. We were there a little before 7 and it was good walking around, by 9 it was a mob!

ImaMes, my DH was stung under the chin by a wasp, it filled with water or something and he looked like a pelican, especially if he moved his head, wasn't funny but it was, don't tell him I said that....LOL Glad you are ok, but I know what you mean about missing a day of gardening and good weather.

Got ta go, be back later.

Today was a good day!! LOL!! Got 2 of my 3 konckout roses planted and my 2 dwarf willows planted. And all before the rain hit. Didn't get mulch around them but I did buy the mulch today so that's something anyways. LOL. My other rose bush is going in a pot that was vacated by one of the willows til I figure out where I can plant it and still keep it out of the middle of the yard. lol

Gravois Mills, MO

Pepper your going to like the knock out roses. The white one that bud out yellow are really nice they have a lot more fragrance than the others do. My knock outs are pretty large I am out there almost everyday clipping off roses past their bloom prime. I think it really promotes blooming for them.

I actually had a sunny but it died on me. I got mine at work for 50 cents because they were diseased and horrible looking when we got them. We tried to get our money back but I don't think the company ever credited us for them. So us floral girls divided them up and took home what was still alive. I gave 4 to my grandma and kept 4. I had hoped Sunny would recover but it didn't. If I had a place for it I would go to WM and get one there. But as it is my blushing is gonna be in a pot til I figure out where it will go.

Hi all,
this is what I've been doing, laying down weed fabric. Right now, my pickup is full of Cedar mulch and that might only cover a third of the space there. My truck has never smelled so good tho! lol
I hope it looks like a spray of water in the fish later, that'd be kinda neat.
Oh yeah, sorry bout' that, the tattoo would maybe be on a shoulder or upper arm likely.
Not that theres any muscle there, but its not gonna be on a bone I don't think.
I wouldn't be posting an obscene photo kinda thing! lol
I think a tree tattoo is good, I have always liked trees in recent years, I think I will from now on, I don't think it is a passing idea really. I don't have one yet, I could still chicken out! lol
Will

This message was edited Jul 4, 2010 10:51 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Hope everyone had a great 4th!! I had to work yesterday but it was fun for the most part. Kept me busy and out of trouble. lol

Here is one of my daylilies blooming. I think it's called Sunday Morning but not 100% sure.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Pretty pepper. Is it as white as it looks? We had a very wet 4th about the time for fireworks. Today was strange, looked like it could pour all day but nothing then had a few drops off and on.

Do any of you use a smoker? I bought one last year and used it today. Turned out pretty good, just could use some pointers, hate learning everything the hard way.

Shortleaf you have been a busy little bee. That is going to look really nice.

Thanks happ. I am getting the mulch emptied out of my truck. Today, I was pitch-forking it out and here came the downpour! I was working away on it and it started getting dark and a little cooler. Well, that shoulda been my warning to clear out! About 5 minutes later I got soaked! I got a little mulch out before the rain tho. I heard on the news that alot of big, city's fireworks displays had been re-scheduled.
A smoker? Not me. Now eating smoked meat, prolly! lol

You went to the Kansas City Farmer's Market too? My friend and her Sister got a bunch of
stuff there also.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It's been busy here!

Will, that looks great! Wow! I'm impressed. When the mulch is on it will look professional! I have a tree folder. I walked around town and took pictures of all the biggest trees in Nichols. I have odd trees and trees with wires grown over. Yep, trees are neat!

Pepper, that's a nice white daylily!

Happ, most of our rain was Sunday night around 9:00 pm. We don't go anywhere to see fireworks. My brother had a smoker, but mainly used it to grill food every night. Hope you figure it out. I've heard you can save apple tree and grape vine trimmings to flavor the smoke.

One of my favorite tree pictures :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Another tree from the same place.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

A catalpa that was trimmed after I got the picture. It's been there since I was a kid and most likely before that.

Thumbnail by billyporter

I love trees and notice them no matter where I am. The street I grew up on had the most beautiful oak, huge, majestic. Then one day it was gone, they cut it down to build apartments, even as a kid I was crushed. Everyday coming home from school rounding the corner and there stood that mighty oak in all it's beauty.
I have a peely bark birch and I love that tree, it is beautiful all the time I think. Course I like the white birch also especially in a group of really dark barked trees. Trees just take on a character.

Well, so far I haven't killed us with the smoked chicken. It tasted great, which shocked me. I posted on the Texas plant forum, cause when I lived there everyone had a smoker built out of a 55 gal drum. God only knows what was in those barrels before they became smokers....LOL scarey now that I think about it.... The bbq forum is B A D for some reason. Maybe gardeners don't smoke...LOL

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ, trees are a kid's best friend whether you climb them or not, and I did! The old oak sounds special. Your tree sounds really pretty. Laughing over the barrels. I can almost taste the chicken. It sort of smells like pork chops. Oh wait, that's what DH cooked on the grill. LOL! They were good, but I love chicken!

I want to go outside!! (Stomping feet) It's just too muggy and mosquitoey.

Happ, it looks just like the picture. Very crisp. Has that bit of yellow in it which enhances it I think.

We smoke here some but usually just grill with smoke from apple trees or pear trees enhancing the flavors.

Here's another view of the daylily bed. You can see the white daylily there.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Thanks billyp. I hope it turns out to look professional! I know I've sweat enuff working on it so far! lol Wow, this July thread should contain the photos of the mulch-scape I'm working on, lucky you guys! lol I should get done this month.

Those are some nice photos of trees, billyp. Its too bad that Catalpa was topped, what a nice tree. I'm not a fan of topping, myself.

That smoked chicken sounds delicious, I am hungry!
I can attest to that, its also muggy and mosquitoey here! : )

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, the white daylily sure is nice. I have ''Joan Senior,'' which I need to move so I can actually notice it, but I like your's. Nice collection too. I need to move my collection so they look better together. It's that old ''plop where there was room'' planting. That was on the agenda this spring. Oh well, maybe I can actually plot it out on paper and really do it this fall or next spring.

Will, I like the way you took the fabric all the way to the street. Is this your place or the friend's? I got lost on where you are, LOL! It's going to look so nice when it's all covered. I see many mulch trips, but lay it on good the first time!

I woke up to lightning thunder and a pouring rain! We got 6/10'' again. Believe it or not, we were dry up here. I had an astilbe curling it's leaves already and was going to have to water a few of them. I'm saved! We get the boys tomorrow and take them home Monday. We won't get to sleep in the tent or even play outside because of the skeeters. They are impossible! I see them here till fall. Rain is good, but it comes at a price.

BP, I also just plop plants where there's a hole. LOL. It works for me though. I make sure to plant by height in the main garden and the daylilies I just plop together. lol.

We got more rain today too. Just scattered showers coming and going.

My famous Statement is blooming!! It smells soooo good!!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

Thanks billyp, going to the street does take some work, that is ALOT of weed fabric, and the stuff is $18 a roll at Walmart (120 ft. x 3 ft.). It's the friend's house, actually I believe the city owns that part of the front-yard to the curb. But, they are fine with residents maintaining it and sprucing it up.
Yeah, lots of mulch, it'll prolly be 2 or 3 pickup bed loads. And then its on to the back-yard where we want to mulch where I cleared out all the weeds.
A pickup bed load is $60, its Cedar mulch. I had to tell my friend "this isn't a half million dollar house", I'm sure she knows that, but she wants to border the whole thing with big, expensive rectangular stones. I told her "thats inviting crime!" Robbers will think "oh, they have all kinds of disposable income, look at their yard"! Which isn't really true about the disposable income, I'm saving her a bundle on labor by doing it myself. I've put on 4 wheel-barrow loads of mulch so far and my truck is still about 2/3s full of mulch!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, that is gorgeous! I can see why it's "famous." Some of my lilies are just starting to open. I have got to dig and refresh their dirt this fall. Most are getting smaller without putting out new bulbs. I've found they just fade away. Except for Casa Blanca. It has a lot of small bulbs growing.

Will, tht is more weed fabric than I've ever put down, LOL!! The cedar should last a long time compared to the bark chips, and it sticks to itself. Must be a bear to shovel into the wheelbarrow! Love the inside looking out view. That will absolutely look fantastic! She's lucky to have a fence. Does she have a dog?

We leave early this morning to pick up the Grandkids from the Aunt and Uncle. DD and SIL should be on the road by now. It's going to be hard keeping them in the house, but the mosquitos are terrible! I don't think I could spray enough goop on them and I hate to do that anyway.

Hi all! just returned from vacation and summer camps for the pumpkins.... the gardens survived just fine with some deadheading needed. Here's a bouquet...

Thumbnail by

Pretty pics everyone, glad everyones flowers are doing good.
Glad to see you are back garden6, we have had enough rain to keep everything moist I think.
Short everything is looking really good. I am still mulching and might be done when the snow flies.
Sketters are horrible at my place....now I am seeing baby grasshoppers to go along with them.

Thanks Happ! I returned to find a pesky rabbit had made its den under a spirea near my patio, dining on my potted squash and impatiens. Needless to say I removed its nest, cut back the spirea and seasoned the area with cayenne pepper! It's steamy outside...but Dragonfly made the day as I planted out her box of goodies before the rains! Another bouquet.....

Thumbnail by

One more bouquet......

Thumbnail by

Hi all,
welcome back garden6. Thanks for the bouquets!
No dog, just 7 house-cats.
Thanks billyp, its starting to take shape. The Pyracantha and the Euonymous have never looked so good! Now, I just hope they stay alive to complement the mulch! lol
Yeah, shoveling the mulch is back-breaking work alright! Using a pitchfork, not a shovel,
a shovel would prolly be very hard to use outside of scooping right on the truck's bed.
My truck is empty now, but it'll prolly be full again with more mulch soon. Only about 40% of the ground was covered with the first load of mulch. Oh, its on thick too, it must be 4 or 5 inches deep.
$60 for a pickup load of Cedar mulch sounds kinda steep, but its a whole lot of mulch. It filled up my big "contractor" wheelbarrow 14 times! I'm not a contractor or anything, thats just the size of the wheelbarrow, 6 cubic feet.

Thanks happ. Skeeters are bad here too, and I just ran out of repellent!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Shortleaf~ You're welcome! I know you know this....but do keep yourself well hydrated and your knees bent with all that shoveling and wheelbarrowing in the steamy outdoors....Just yesterday, one of the girly pumpkins said she almost had a "sweatstroke" from walking intside from the car...funny little pumpkins!

Hey does anyone know what this plant is? I planted it at the base of a tree stump thinking it was passion vine but there is no way it's a passion vine. lol. I grew it from seed but it looks nothing like anything I planted.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Another pic.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.