Birch Troubles

Walterville, OR

Hello All,
Garden and tree newbie here. Last year, I noticed yellow leaves on our birch (I think it's a type of weeping birch). I thought it was because we lost a large tree that provided shade most of the day. I did a little research and found it can take sun, as long as it gets enough water. This year it gets enough water but still the yellow leaves. On closer inspection I find that the leaves look diseased or spotted. After much research, I am coming to the conclusion that the tree probably has leaf borers. I also found some green shield bugs on a leaf and thought they might be the borers but they look nothing like photos of the borer. I think they are some sort of stink bug. At this point, the tree doesn't look like it's in its last stages but it does appear to be suffering a bit. Can anyone offer advice on what I should do? Or is it too late and I need to wait until the fall or next spring to do something? I will post several photos to give you an idea. This first one is a close up of some leaves. I really don't want to lose this tree. Any help would be most appreciated!
Thanks,
Nadine

Thumbnail by _Nadine
Walterville, OR

Trunk photo #1.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2010 9:32 AM

Thumbnail by _Nadine
Walterville, OR

Trunk photo #2

Thumbnail by _Nadine
Walterville, OR

Photo including top of tree.

Thumbnail by _Nadine
Walterville, OR

Ravaged area...

Thumbnail by _Nadine
Walterville, OR

Two bugs...

Thumbnail by _Nadine
(Zone 7a)

The shield bugs wouldn't do that much damage. Not sure about what's going on with the rest of the tree. I see some holes that may be borers. Someone else will have to give better advice.

Walterville, OR

Second shot of same ravaged area where leaves seem to have died off...

Thumbnail by _Nadine
Walterville, OR

Thanks kwanjin! I hope someone can help too. We did have an arborist look at our trees about 1+1/2 years ago and he didn't pick up on anything about that tree. He was pretty sharp and was checking out all of our trees so I think this might have happened since he was out here.

(Zone 7a)

There are many knowledgeable people here who can identify whats going on there. So sad to loose such a pretty tree.

Have you checked out if galls may be the trouble? Or perhaps animal damage?

Walterville, OR

I can't be certain but I don't think it's galls or animal damage unless it's moles but they've been here for years. The leaves end up turning yellow with ugly spots on them. There are no growths and the area is fenced in. I'm thinking it's a leaf borer infestation but hopefully someone here can confirm!

Danville, IN

Any type of insect problem can be taken care of with an application of Bayer 12-month Tree and Shrub Insect Control (sometimes fertilizer included), which can be found at Lowe's and other big box stores. It's very easy to use and you have to apply it only one time each year. Weeping birches are susceptible to borer, although the damage usually starts new the top of the tree.

The Bayer systemic is inexpensive (40 oz. for about $20), applied at the base of the tree (not sprayed), and lasts a whole year. Try it... you'll like it!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Birch Borer is a huge problem in my area. It's now getting harder and harder to find Birch without a dead top. http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfp/publications/00198/bronze_birch_borer.htm I'm not sure if that's what you have - almost reminds me of tent caterpillar damage.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

_Nadine:

You may want to determine the exact pest responsible for the damage you see on your tree prior to applying the nuclear bomb insecticide solution. That chemical - while accurately described as taking care of insect problems - also will reliably eliminate potentially beneficial insects that visit. That's probably not the plan you intend.

Your arborist (or local Cooperative Extension Service office) have diagnostic services that can ID this particular pest and most other likely problems that you might have with this particular species. As growin notes, the genus Betula is well-known for a host of issues, and the non-native species are even more prone to problems in many parts of the continent.

The more closely you target your remedy to the precise pest that is the problem, the better it will be for the plant, you, your garden, and all the rest of the fauna around.

Lincoln, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm having problems with one of my thre Jacquemontii Birches. Last year, this same tree developed brown leaves the middle of July while the other two trees were OK. Some of the leaves are brown on one half and others all brown. In searching for the cause, my guess is leaf miners. I used Bayer Tree and Shrub a few months ago but I don't think I used enough. Now I'll have to wait about 8 months to try again since you can only apply once a year and also before problems occur.

It's a shame about _Nadine's birch. It's beautiful on one side. I've seen that one sided leafing in our area.

Does anyone have any ideas about my Birch tree leaves turning brown? I don't see any insect evidence.

Lincoln, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is a picture of leaves from my Birch. Is it leaf miners or borers or something else?

Thumbnail by greatswede
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Leaf miners typically leave little trails throughout your leaf like this http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF17/1753pic2.jpg and I don't see that. Can't tell if it's borers from looking at the leaves--you'd need to look at the trunk/branches for signs of them.

Here's a page from UC Davis that lists the various pests & diseases that birch are susceptible to--maybe if you take a look there and click on the links to some of the diseases you'll see something that matches. It could be a cultural problem though rather than disease/insects. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/GARDEN/PLANTS/birch.html

Rosemount, MN(Zone 4b)

We had to cut down two birch trees due to Birch Borers. We had white birch and they were 'clump' form. It all started with branches with dead leaves at the tops of the trees. I despise losing trees. I am losing a 25 year old stand of Blue Spruce in my backyard. Cytosphera Canker. Bad stuff.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2010 8:55 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.