Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Birch Troubles, 1 by _Nadine

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright _Nadine

Subject: Birch Troubles

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Birch Troubles
_Nadine wrote:
Hello All,
Garden and tree newbie here. Last year, I noticed yellow leaves on our birch (I think it's a type of weeping birch). I thought it was because we lost a large tree that provided shade most of the day. I did a little research and found it can take sun, as long as it gets enough water. This year it gets enough water but still the yellow leaves. On closer inspection I find that the leaves look diseased or spotted. After much research, I am coming to the conclusion that the tree probably has leaf borers. I also found some green shield bugs on a leaf and thought they might be the borers but they look nothing like photos of the borer. I think they are some sort of stink bug. At this point, the tree doesn't look like it's in its last stages but it does appear to be suffering a bit. Can anyone offer advice on what I should do? Or is it too late and I need to wait until the fall or next spring to do something? I will post several photos to give you an idea. This first one is a close up of some leaves. I really don't want to lose this tree. Any help would be most appreciated!
Thanks,
Nadine