moving a martagon

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

A friend has a martagon that is not at all happy at her house so she wants me to take it. I know they don't like being moved, but it's going to die where it is. Any good advice out there?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Are you wanting to move it now?

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

No, I don't think that is necessary, it can wait for the best time to move. Right now it's in a bed that is in the part shade of a locust tree and is in a lovely compost/cow manure/soil mix. Every year it looks a little poorer. The one I got at the same time is in part shade, also, but a quite heavy soil/clay location and is doing great. Just want to move hers before it fails completely.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

If you can wait until Fall then that will be great. When you remove it, keep as much soil around the roots and that might keep it a little happier about being moved.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Mary and Ghopper, my martagons got stepped on last fall. I got a trio from OHG and they were blooming every year. They did not appear this year. Should I go to their spot and dig them up this fall? Should I kill the person who stepped on their location?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

By all means, assult the person that stepped on them!

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

Well, I wouldn't actually kill them but I'd make then beg for mercy! But seriously folks........if they were mine I'd leave the spot alone. Martagons HATE to be disturbed. If they are gone there isn't anytthing you can do, anyway. If they are trying to recover they don't need any more stress. Mine sat in the ground for 2 winters before finally coming up. Moby, that should work fine to wait till fall. Will you keep your fingers crossed for both of us?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Absolutely!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, a couple of sharp slaps should do it! I will take your advice. It makes complete sense to me. Thanks Mary and Ghopper

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.