Plant propagation part XVII based on my own experience

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Hello to everyone and welcome:
To those new to our little chat. Plese feel free ask anything, as we try to keep it simple and fee l/we should always pass along our own knowledge. Lurkers are also welcome. Please check in if possible I would hate to loose someone in one of these switches.

we came from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1103911/

As with all of the threads I stat I like to welcome anyone new to our little corner of Daves Garden. Please take the time to read all the past threads. Most of them have some great information in them. There are no dumb questions except for the 1 thats never asked.

The pic is of Yazoo Cinnamon Stick

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Hi we are moving again. please check in.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1111522/

dora's 1st in line is the flower

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

OK Dave, are you trying to lose us. I decided not to plant today.

I was making my DH some extra mash potatoes and forgot them on the cook top. Now the house smells like scorched potatoes. The sad thing, is I kept smelling something and saying to myself, I wonder what that is because I am not cooking anything.

I have to pay some bills and get my desk in order to start the week off good.

Pawleys Island, SC

I hope everyone has had a Fabulous Sunday. It began storming here this morning and quit for a while. DH and I went to dinner at Mom and Dad's and after we got home, it started storming again. I love it when it rains. I have a good book and all of my work is caught up, so I intend to read until my son comes home. ( he is out with friends, so it is really quiet). We were in such desperate need of this rain, so I am very thankful for it.
Dave That is another gorgeous Lily.
Sharon, don't you have it when you do something like that. I did it this past week. I started boiling some pork and totally forgot about it. i barely had any water left in the pot when I remembered to check on it.
I am relaxing with a cup of coffee, a donut and a dog on each side of me. I am off to read. have a great night everyone.
Linda

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Lee!! I thought you gave up on us. Too rowdy out here in the west. LOL That's for JB.

Glad some of the seeds are germinating for you. It is finally warming up here too. The plants are loving it. The tomatoes loved the rainy season that we don't normally have. Not that much anyway. So now with the heat they are ready to boogie!! Let's hope we have some nice ripe ones this year.

Linda!! Your mom was well enough to have you to dinner? That is wonderful. So nice that she is over her ailments from last year.

Sharon, one of the people on another thread said to put some bubblegum out to take care of the smells. I laugh, because I can't stand the smell of BG.

Yes Dave, that is beautiful. I have 16 flowers blooming on my plain old Lemon Lilly but it really is beautiful. Even being a plain jane. But I likeyour Yazoo Cinamon Stick best.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

LOL no I am not trying to lose anyone. i guess I posted one to many forwards. oh well better to many than the one thing i am always afraid to do is to lose the whole bunch by starting a new one and not give the forward info.
have a great evening
dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

It doesn't look like you lost anyone Dave.

BTW did you ever figure out if I owe you more money? Let me know.

Jeanette

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Yes, I am here at times. I have been pretty busy with my Mom, she isn't doing so well and so I need to keep watch, you know nursing homes, some of the caregivers are great, others, not so much. I'm not so sure about the rowdyness, but I think I could join in anytime and feel right at home. I am glad to see everyone is here tho, even with problems we do seem to find time to chat with friends. I have a bunch of the typical orange DL, wish I knew more about them like most of you do. Anyone know why clematis leaves turn yellow, with dark green veins? I have lost 3 of mine and they all started with this problem. Most of the yard this year is greenery, not too many flowers, just the petunia's in pots for color. Maybe with the warmer weather some of the rest will come along. Tomatoes and green peppers are just sitting there looking pretty sad. But on the bright side, they do have tiny little blossoms, maybe there is hope yet. Later, Lee

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

So sorry you are still having problems with your mom Lee. I understand there are good nursing homes and bad ones. You really need to keep a watch on them all the time don't you?

As for the rowdiness, JB is just jealous because she lives so far east that by the time we on the west coast come on she is snoozing. Kinda like, you snooze you lose. She feels left out so she calls us names. LOL

You know, I have seen clematis leaves like that, but didn't know it killed them. I don't have any clematis. Had one, but the workers that built my deck tromped all over it and killed it. Nellie Moser.

I am thinking that now that it is warming up all of the plants are going to be showing their colors. And the tomatoes are doing great.

Jeanette

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

I did forget to tell you that my lilies are doing great!!!!!!!!!!! I have some that are at least 5' tall, one set with yellow flowers, one with dark maroon red. Those flowers are just huge and so many per stem. Just can't remember what they are called. All were a Costo special a couple of years ago. I also have smaller ones with really nice colors, just not as vibrant. Just wish they would last a little longer. Hmmm wonder if they could be crossed. I can just see a wonderful color comming up.
JB don't you let them pick on you, you are entitled LOL and I am going to join you now, it is beddy bye. I bet we get up earlier than the rest don't we? HeHeHe. Lee

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Lee, that's why they call them day lillies. 'cause they last a day. LOl

You don't need to stick up for JB, she can take care of herself. She's an old crotchety ex marine. LOL

She blames Dave for her not being able to go to church 'cause Dave told her to put her panty hose over her flowers to catch the seeds. So, I sent her a pair of knee highs so she had no excuse not to go to church. LOL

She must not have said a prayer for me tho like I told her to, 'cause I'm tired tonight even tho I didn't do anything all day but visit other people.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Love that yellow and purple flower Dave. Nice.

I need some plant id on some stuff growing here. I one year popped up a couple of leafy. 2 feet high dark green plants, that apparently profusely seed themselves in shady areas. They have toothy leaves I believe and have these dark purple little pearl like fruits that grow on them. Probably poison. Sound familiar to anyone. They get small white flowers too.

I also have some gorgeous flowers in a rainbow of colors that I don't know what they are, they came in a wildflower mix and I just love them. I need to take a picture. I also want h to get my solar fountain running in my claw foot tub soon.

Lee I feel for you, we went through similar trials with my h's mom about 4 years ago. Hard times. But I am sentimental and kind of enjoyed the time with her, while she lost her faculties. She was less obnoxious and finally made amends with her. I knew she would not have long so it was a nice chance to know her and let her see me as someone other than the devil who took her son from her.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yeah Nightshade.

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Yellow leaves w/ dark veins... isn't that usually iron deficiency? (or, soil pH so high that the plant can't access the iron that's there?) Don't know if it happens to clematis, tho.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Nightshade is very toxic to horses..................kill it. Or did I miss part of the conversation.
I did see you all talking about me...Go ahead. Be that way. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN EX MARINE. YOU ARE A FORMER MARINE. That is your lesson for the day.
I was not in the corp. I was married to two Marines and still have full military coverage, that is why I talk about the USMC all the time. They pay my medical bills and I really appreciate that. Except, they do not pay for chiropractor.....and I am not "active" so I can not go to the chiropractor on base. That all happened since so many people were called to active duty and sent overseas. The bases are not equipped a home as much as they were before Iraq and Afgan. So. I pay my own. No problem, if it works it is worth it.

I was hoping this week I could send your Black PW but, the 90 deg. will not break until Wednesday and hopefully July will be back to normal and I can get them in the mail after the 4th. I managed to keep them alive in the greenhouse. The ones I planted outside
all died due to the heat and lack of rain. I could cry. I planted 8 beautiful plants in a partly shaded area. Maybe the lack of sunshine also helped. We will see what the forcast is and I will let you know as soon as I make a decision.

Barney is slowly recovering and I am getting stir crazy. Too hot to walk or work outside for this old lady. I am playing poker on the internet. You know I am bored.

I took cuttings of some tropicals yesterday and hopefully they will sprout. I am using testtubes now to start my cuttings. Works good. I had so many different things I was getting confused at them not being marked. So, this way each one can be marked and I will not mix them up. Again, old age problem..

Speaking of the mob, back when I was young and married to a criminal attorney (father of my kids), he had a bookie client who he got out of jail and he had a nice house in Miami. I used to go to his house and stay for a few days frequently, they had servants and the kids had fun, but I can remember every morning at breakfast, the door bell rang and it was "his bookmaker" taking bets for the day at the Florida Tracks. It was so funny.
My kids had such a good upbringing among ex cons. LOL. We used to call it Breakfast with the Bookie.......those were the good old days. The mob still exists in NJ.
Quiet compared to what is was, but it is there. I found many of the ones I knew were always gentlemen.

Gotta go, must deliver some veggies, go to chiropractor and get home and get to work on the books and inventory. If the weather breaks tomorrow, I want all that stuff done so I can get outside. We layed irrigation pipe yesterday in the big field and today they will lay it in the baby field. There are about 1000 trees in the baby field and all are looking sad.
Pray it rains today when the cold front goes through. Hugs to you all.

Pawleys Island, SC

Morning Everyone!
it was so nice yesterday, it rained until the wee hours of the morning. I stayed up until I finished my book and as a result didn't want to get up early this morning. I have a few trades to put together and a few things to plant, but it is going to be a little while before I get started.
Jnette, yes it is wonderful that mom feels good enough to want to cook. She is doing great, but still has a few problems at times. I am amazed though at how she keeps on like it never really happened. I guess denial can be a good tactic.
Lee, it is good to see you here. I stayed gone for so long, I really missed everyone, then I came back and you were gone, but most everyone is still here.
Dave, you can't lose us.... we would follow you around. LOL
JB I am so glad Barney is getting better.
We had a BBQ with friends saturday and my crazy friend planted his tomato plants under a bunch of trees. He said the past 6 years he has planted them in the sun and watched them burn up, this year he decided to plant them in the shade. I laughed, but they were covered in nice big tomatoes. I may try it with a few of my things that I keep struggling with. I thought they had to have at least 8 hours of full sun, but his plants are lucky to get 2 hours of dappled sun.

I have a really strange plant, I would like to know if any of you can recognize. It was planted when my Mom bought her house and it has been there at least 35 years. It has long arching branches, with thorns and kind of long very dark green leaves.
It blooms kind of like a clianthus, but I have never seen anything else like this. Someone once called it Mother in Laws tongue, but every time I google that, I just get snake plants. Anyway, here are a couple of pics.

Thumbnail by ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

Here is the second pic. Anyone have any ideas?

Thumbnail by ibartoo
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Linda can you get us a pic of the plant itself? leaves look like madagascar palm but the stems don't. nice flower though.
well we had the cold front come through and yuk its time to go lay down already.
back to the bedroom

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, sorry, FORMER. I learned my lesson well.

That is so good that you have the full coverage. Maybe one of these days they will get with the current world and cover the chiropractic also. That would be good.

JB I think you need to move to a more steady climate like maybe San Diego. Yours is either too hot, too cold, too windy, too rainy, too sunny, or something. I would have said Seattle, but that is too rainy.

I was so sorry to go hear bout the trouble you are having with the PWs. But please tell me about the test tubes. You mean just those vials? The bigger ones? Where in the world did you think to use those?

You better watch out, the mob will have someone to hack into your computer and see what you are writing about them. Must have been a fun time.

Linda, that is the strangest looking plant. Is it a tree, a bush, or?? Very different. Wonder where they got Mother in law's tongue from that.

Your friend's growing tomatoes in the shade is very strange too. However, it might be that the tomatoes just need heat to ripen, and not direct sun. Maybe the rest of us know it as sun 'cause that is the only way we get that much heat?? Be sure to find out later in the season how his tomatoes do. Very interesting concept. It could be the type of rays your sun has. Here in the NW we have to take a lot of vitamin D because we don't have any of certain types of rays in the sun when it gets to us. In the Northern Hemisphere is the area they talk about. Please keep us posted. Very interesting.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I love the changes in the season, I think Spring is a magic time of year and Fall is so warm and loving, but there seems to be such drastic changes anymore that it is so annoying to me, being old and not adjusting as quickly as others, I guess you are right, I should move to a more steady climate. Maybe just to NC, SC or even Florida. In a tropical climate at least your body learns to live with it and does not have to change so drastically day after day.
I use the test tubes because I do not have that many cuttings at one time. Several dozen at the most. I put the tubes in a test tube holder, (very cheap) the water seems to say nicer when only one or two cuttings are in it. I label each one because I loose track of what the cuttings are especially when I take some from each species gardenia, etc. so I find it easier to keep them accurately marked in single containers, rather than putting them together in one container. I buy them from a place in St, Augustine FL called The Science Fair. I use several different sizes to accomodate the different sizes of cuttings.
Some are so dainty and tiny while others like the gardenias are bigger.

I must find a good recipe for zuchini other than the same old thing. I would like to try pickeling some. Wonder if that would work. Got things to do for awhile. JB

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Howdy:
the shady spot is a good idea for the tomatoes. just because a plant tag or guide lines say full sun does not meant direct sun all day. there are different levels of shade. kind of like the shade cloth that growers use. I am a big fan of 50 - 70% shade
My Mom and dad grow their tomatoes in a spot that get maybe 4 hours of full sun the rest of the time its a lower level of sunlight.
All the green house grown tomatoes are in some type of shade, even just the poly on a green house reduces the light. The technical reference is foot candle's. I am planning to put up shade next year on my plants.
I hope this helps
Dave

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

So is that a candle you put out with your foot??? Just taking a 10 minute break from my planting.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

JB, go to google and type in zucchini recipes and you will find all the absolute ways you can imagine to cook it and a lot you can't imagine.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Did that Jen. Found what I wanted. Thanks anyhow.
Exciting moment. It rained three drops. Had to wipe them off my glasses. Under a severe storm watch at this time. Hope it rains alot more. Have a good evening. Hugs.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

No thunder storms tonight JB.

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Told you we here in Montana have joined the rest. 97 yesterday, 92 as we speak, and the report says triple didgets for the next few days. :( Plants may like this, I feel like I am melting already. I have some flowers that my Grandmother gave my mother. I will have DH take pictures. They are really pretty, but they spread like crazy. I think they spread via root and seed, but am not sure. the leaves are heavy and thick and rough. Flower is the same color a deep purple blue on all of the plants, and is made of groups of tiny lily like flowers together to form a larger flower. Some of the stems have smaller clusters below the top cluster Someone suggested bee balm, but I don't think so. Have come back each year for the last several and bigger and prettier. Any ideas???? Lee

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Gotta have a picture Lee. Your description sounds really cool, but I have no idea.

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Here is the first, color is the deeper color. I will send a close up also

Thumbnail by leebauch
Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

can't get the closeup to go through, but the dark green leaves (larger ones) are kinda strange, they don't feel smooth, more like a rough surface. They do have a slight fragrance, or maybe it is my imagination. Thanks for the help. I do have lots of them, if anyone wants a start but beware, they will spread magically . Flowers last about 3 weeks maybe a month but the greenery stays, doesn't die back. Some are tall about 2 1/2 '. Most are about 1 1/2' Thanks for the help. Lee

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Sharon ~ You are planting in 100° weather? It is 90° here now, so I won't be sending anything to anyone this week either....it may be hotter tomorrow. I will be lucky to get everything watered. I was hoping to start some seeds again, but not until I plant everything sitting in the nursery...it is just a temporary spot, not a permanent nursery.

Jeanette ~ Are you going to show us your "pretties"?

Dawn ~ Yes, a picture would be good...maybe one of us will recognize it...

Dave ~ You are right about the tomatoes in hot weather...mine are in sun, but not all day. ( I always wondered why the intensity of light was called footcandle - maybe you can tell us....)

JB ~ You have rain? The last rain we got was a few days ago and it really was very little as there was no moisture down past an inch of soil, but at least it was cool...not any more...I like winter better than summer, even with snow and cold weather...I just would have liked to have more than one week of spring, but we take what we get...I don't think I cound live in FL with all the humidity. At least the heat is dry here, like the desert. Now, San Diego is nice...I do miss the beach. That is the only thing I miss about SoCA. Did you use the pantyhose to catch the seeds?

Well I did finally get the back porch cleaned off, since I want to start seeds again...and now it is too hot, so I will just have to wait. I guess I will catch up on my journal and recap what did well and what did not. I just know that I lost a lot to too little watering during winter, especially if the seedlings were on heat. Also, I sowed my peppers way too late as they never caught up with the tomatoes...I planted them in the square foot garden anyway. I sowed too many tomatoes, but I WILL find places for them...The eggplants are also quite small. I need to sow the cilantro. (And sow beans and squash...) I spent so much time on those SFG's but they are looking quite nice now and the tastiest lettuce I ever grew. Maybe it was the late cold weather? Or that they were planted later? I don't know....

Mariposa Lily - Calochortus

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Lee, Now this is amazing. A friend of mine in town has these same plants and has been trying to find out what they are. Have you put them on the ID forum? Maybe they could tell you.

She offered me some seeds, but as pretty as they are, I am afraid of anything that spreads like that. Now, if they bloomed all summer. I wouldn't mind. I might try some anyway.

evelyn, we have had so much rain that most of my flowers didn't last long, and were beat down when they did bloom. And the funny thing is, the rain made them all bloom so well this year. My rhododendrons were the best they have ever been, but the rain did that but then ruined them as soon as they opened up. Catch 22.

Now next year, because of all the new growth on them, rhodies set their blooms the previous year, they are setting next years now, so they should be nice if the rain doesn't kill them next year.

I lost all but 2 roses this winter. No snow for insulation. The ground froze down really deep. Normally we get the snow first. This year we didn't get any snow. The 2 that I didn't lose are just getting a size to start setting buds. I fertilized my containers for the first time today. Hopefully my brugs might do something this year. We'll see. We hauled them outside during the day and back in at night for 2 months this spring.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well, I am planting in pots, in the shade. I will give you a photo and list tomorrow. I worked for 30 minutes and then drenched myself with the cold hose and then continued. I made sure I was hydrated. Evelyn, where you live you have blood sludge. Very thick blood because of the cooler weather and cold weather in the Winter. We rarely get to freezing and if we do it is only for a few days just enough to freeze the plants. Every year that Pi***s me off. We, in the southwest, have very thin blood so we do not get as hot. GOD was a genius. Now if he could only come up with a solution if you are very cold or very hot you will not gain weight. LOL.

I have the courtyard to complete tomorrow after rehabbing inside the gate. The major problem was the irrigation system. I am also going to the greenhouse and to lunch with a landscape company. Again they are trying to hire me and I am not for hire. Greenhouse should be very interesting in 106 degrees. If the work is not finally done I will probably be just the sweet 68 year old lady I am and just walk out without saying something until I get in my SUV. I will get in, put Eric Clapton on my CD player full loud and rock on the way home.

A little ole lady rocking down the road to home. I still do that and I love it, even though it is only 1/2 mile. Love you all and remember, 106 with 6% humidity and 28 dew point. Can you believe 28 dew point? It is really not as hot as it sounds but by the time I came into the house for my 10 minutes rest, my hair was totally wet. It is like gardening in a sauna. But I did it and did not die. I have a great " you did it girl" and I got one of those from my DH. BIG SMILE FROM LAS VEGAS.

But I missed the daytime Emmy Awards last night at the Hilton. Now I do not know which of my 5 soap operas I watch won. If you believe that, I will sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.
See you tomorrow late afternoon.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I typed while you were typing., I am so sorry for all your plant losses. Maybe we need to grow them in the SW and then send them to your home when your weather is ready. Love you all......

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

good evening:
Lee have you looked at Campanula's?
a footcandle is exactly what it sounds like. a way to measure light intensity by measuring the strength of a candles light at 1 foot away. have I totally confused everyone?
Its funny how some of the way old info is fresh and the new stuff goes in one ear and out the other. Its frustrating.
Dave

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh if you need Campanula seeds, I have them crawling out of my rear end.
It is hot and a bit muggy here too, for here anyways. Sleep meds are kicking in guys, hasta the bye bye.

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Some of you confuse me- you seem to live in much warmer climates than I do, and yet you are still starting seeds? I'm pretty much done starting seeds by April... Are you growing plants to sell, or what? Just curious here in greater Nebraska!

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

I have grown Campanula before, no these aren't them. I seem to remember Mom saying Grandma got the original plant in Kansas, on the prairie, but I'm not sure. It could also have been a mountain plant. I only know she didn't buy it, back then, as now, no money for frivilous things. Since she had 13 children I can understand.
I had also heard that iron diffency caused the clematis yellowing leaves, but have tried that. I also have added mirasid to the watering nothing has helped. Since these are older plants 10+ years, Maybe they just got tired. The rest are doing fine and they are planted in the same spots. I just lined them up when I first planted so they would intertwine with each other.
Supposed to get to 100+ today, so the AC comes on and the good books come out. Will check in later. Lee

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

here is a closeup of that dumb flower. Dave, this is one of those we talked about last year.

Thumbnail by leebauch
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Lee, would you mind if I use your picture to post on the ID forum to see if we can find out what it is? Let me know. Jeanette

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Another day , another 90 deg. and this is the 3rd heatwave we have had in June. There have been 15 days of 90 deg. or above in the month of June and that is like 15 deg. hotter than normal. NO RAIN. One fire, only took out 900 acres of pineland but they have raised the fire level today. Hopefully people will be careful over the 4th in the State Forests. They do not want to close them if they do not have to.
Evelyn, I did not do any seed gathering this year because I used all my kneehighs last year. thanks to Dave and NONE of the seeds germinated. LOL...I have not yet been out to purchase any. No I have not been to church. Too hot. I send my money like a good Catholic.
Went to the grocery store today and did a few errands for my friend who has lung cancer.
She still smokes and it upsets me so much . She is taking Chemo and Radiation and has the nerve to smoke. fool.
Got home and unloaded the jeep. groceries, cat food, etc. and finally got everything put away in time to check my email and have a pedicure. I have a sore toe, I hope she can fix it. I hate to go to the foot doctor. Actually he comes here but Medicare will not pay to have nails cut too often. I did not have that yet , I am saving mine. I can still cut my own except when I one up , then my girl who does my pedicure fixes it for me.
The storm went south of us and we got NO rain, so irrigation will begin tonight. The cold front is to blow through here this afternoon and tomorrow it is actually going to be down to the 80s. I did not mind the heat today because the humidity was very low.
Back to Wimbleton until foot time. Later. JB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.