ORVG Coffee House #179: Almost the 4th of July

Glenview, IL

Good morning.

Waiving Hi Bonnie...man o maan, thought about d-mailing you to ask too. Well, there is always another time or RU somewhere, I might find close enough to venture off in. Seriously how are you? You feeling better? What of the Jacks, they all good?

Sunshine, oh my worked all day in the yard, woohoo, starting to look like something! I am so pleased, got to smile about it. LOL lost your stone, but found it in the house next to piano...placed in the Sistah garden, OH gosh, was so impressed about all your pretty garden art-Joans too, decided to erect a pole to display a few of mine, which saved it (pole) from certain fires! Had a real nice one last night. Today, I am going to attempt to make the stepping stones, Hey Say hiya Bill...Miss you already too.

Hey Ric & Robin, Holy swimming fish! Cookie took us to her Koi farm...We loved it! Jaye gave Joyce a beautiful blue fish, named it BlueJay! and the kids and I gifted Birtie a baby yellow bird, lol waiting to hear what she decided to name it. Anyway, never been to a Koi farm! Thought it was really neat. Van, even showed us how to tell male from female, oh my had to blush a tiny bit, lol .My kids loved it too. LOL Van, nice guy, was thowing away some Hibiscus, gave me 3 beautiful stalks!! ROFLOL, of course I thanked him for his Garbage!...Joyce had told me never to thank anyone for plants, hospitality, bounty, generosity, etc, yes but not plants I heard Van say the same thing...so used to saying TY, when it came out had to add garbage, lol well the man was thowing them away!!

Sue, So how did the measure for new greenhouse go? Love the pic with your twins! Oh, lol wanted to tell you Big thanks for the home made Salsa!! My DH was so excited when I set it on the counter. Also, took a few of your mags. Was leafing through and found I really like the Mother Earth News!! Think I'll subscribe to it...wink, thanks for sharing.

We finally got a view of the yellow Lily, what a beauty, well worth the wait.

Have a glorious day everyone.

Well today, my friend is coming over, cant wait for her to see how my back gardens are coming! Last she saw, I had major jungles going on...oop reminds me of a song!
Got weeds in the back yard 3 feet tall, Cheech and Chong would have smoked em all....
lol, it a fun song.

Thumbnail by Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

LOL, Yellow fish not bird.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Judy, am much much better, still having issues with energy, just not enough of it!! The jacks are doing great, sorry to say we lost one in the spring, he had a tangle with a car, and of course he lost. Still miss him terribly. Your gardens in progress sounds like they have really evolved, and am hoping that you will finish before winter.

Doing a leisurely day here, slept in, and not in a hurry to get into high gear.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, Judy, MIGHT have gotten finished, if she didn't have TWO gardens to get at. Wisconsin and Illinois. I'm looking forward to the Wisconsin trip at the end of August next year. Judy was trying to talk Bertie and Sue in to going. If they poop out on me, might have to bum a ride with Janice!

I think Bertie is going to name her fish, Little Bit. That was the last I heard anyway.

I'm getting ready to walk the garden and take down names of hosta so I can make the labels for them. Did that once already this year, but can't find the dang list! I emailed Eon Industries to see if they sell the replacement wires. I don't have my hopes up, cause they would probably rather just sell the whole thing, which I don't need cause I still have a ton of plates! I'll let you know what I hear.

Okay...hugs to all!

my eggs are hatching !!! so excited. giggling like a school girl
open ,,, open .... open..... hatch darm it !

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey Joyce, where is Woodruff Koi Farm? I might take hubby for a drive over there this weekend for something fun to do. We went down to Jones Fish Hatchery a few years ago, Ric. Is that the one you were talking about in Newtown? There's also a good one in Enon (NE of Dayton) called Green Vista Water Gardens. We just have a very small pond - 200-250 gallons- with just a couple of big goldfish in it right now. I'd love to have a pond like yours but it's just not possible right now. My neighbor across the street has a big one with loads of koi and we love checking it out. I think we check it out more than the neighbor!

Had a very lazy day today for some reason. I know I should've been out in the yard finishing up a ton of work with the absolutely gorgeous weather we've been having but I just couldn't get my butt off the couch. Me and the youngest watched bad TV all afternoon til hubby walked in on us! Hope everyone has a great weekend - say a prayer for the troops keeping us safe and free to do all our fun stuff.

Di

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Di...it's in Franklin. Just google Woodruff Koi Farm and the address will come up. You should stop by if you get to Franklin. I'd love to show you the garden!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Sue! Does that mean you're about to become a Granny?????????

^_^

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sue! MAZAL TOV!

Di that's the one I was speaking of.... it's about 10 minutes from here.
And Sue lives right near Enon.
We were just through there last weekend.

Joyce the new one is doing fine.
It's in the Stack Pond.

Looks like we'll be doing B'Creek Sunday.
Robyn's Sister always has a deal.
We book out before dark though,
don't particularly care for sharing the roads w/ drunken 4th picnickers.
Plus our animals go NUTS when WWIII breaks out around here.

A shot from Bertie's

Thumbnail by henryr10
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh WOW, Ric....you better enter that in the photo contest! It's amazing!

stupid chic is taking its time ! come out already ! :)
did get to see one itsy bitsy with mama hen. Black one.
i m up late
we are still battleing lice :(
only savannah ?
today we
cleaned out every closet.
washed it all
beds, pillows, jackets , hats , you name it we washed it !
everything is bagged, with DE.
kids and i have 3 outfits. for the next 14 days. and we get one towel.
went to Health Dept. they are very nice. Did their recommendation
1 hr vinager soak. helps unglue nits
then use conditioner in hair and smother it in. leave in 4 hrs. wrap head in plastic wrap
shampoo with organic herbal shampoo they gave me
then comb out nits and hand pick them
did this on and off to day
tonight guess what i found on her.
one live louse. Can you believe it ?
i even used the chemical crap too
spent 3 hrs nit picking her hair
this just takes over your life !
so i m stress eating . duh. :P dumb thing to do.

Sue I feel for you. Several years ago, DGD got lice at school, and her mother called and wanted to know if I wanted DGD to come for the weekend with having to do all that combing and picking. Since I had never had a problem with DS when he was in school, told her to come on. Well, the whole weekend was spent combing and picking, combing and picking. Her hair then was almost down to her waist, and had curl in it. Finally got the problem taken care of, but boy it was a battle. Sure hope that when you get up in the morning, you will have new babies to ooh, and ahh over. What fun.

Having a pond is something that I have wanted for several years. But I have come to the conclusion that if I have one, someone else will have to do it. Just don't think I have that much strength and stamina. I think it would be so peacful to sit out by a pond with trickling, running water, and watch the Koi. Spells PEACE to me.

Well, we have no definite plans for the weekend. DS and his SO will be coming Sunday, and may do a cookout, but it will be late afternoon. They both work until 2:00. DGD is wanting to go to the county fair tomorrow night for the fireworks, so that may happen. It is usually such a pitiful show that I never am interested, but you do things for the DGK's that you would normally not do, if not for them. And, hurrah, it is the last night of the fair, that IS something to celebrate!!

found eggs on Austin but i have not seem him itch once ??? so i m treating him also.
uhg.
good thing i got beer tonight !
chic one hatched this morning
chic number two is on its way. but sheesh this one is lazy ! number one chic was up and at em in no time . sheesh.

Everybody must be busy celebrating early. I had to run to town this morning and buy bacon. We have tomatoes that are ripe, and no bacon or lettuce to go with those BLT's that I am planning to make.

Cooked today, for what I thought was going to be Sunday dinner, but DS and his SO came tonight, instead of tomorrow, so glad that I had something cooked. Did ribs on the grill, and boy were they good.

I did spend some time out by the pool, but it was hot, so didn't stay out long. Took DGD and her friend to the fair tonight, but came home about 9:30, as I don't see to drive after dark. The friend's mother just came to pick them up to go see the fireworks. This week has been full of crazy schedules. Sure am glad that tonight is the last night of the fair!!

Sue, I was going to suggest treating Austin, as he is sure to get them too. Seems like they get the whole house when started!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We went Butterfly hunting w/ our neighbor Eric today.
He has set a goal of 30 different ones over the 3 day weekend.
We found 11 today.

Tomorrow we'll be heading up to B'Creek but will join Eric again on Monday.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Cool picture, Ric.

Happy Independence Day!!! So glad we're independent!

Be SAFE, all!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Ric, did your black colocasia that we got at Reading come back? Mine is showing no signs of life. If you have a pup, I'd love it.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Good Morning... Happy Independence Day!

(Do you notice almost no one calls it by that real name anymore?)

darius i guess your right .
Happy Independence Day !!!
Bonnie yes i was treating all of us but i guess ???
last night i went through his hair and not a thing !!
he is going to get a burr hair cut next week. just in case LOL
i think i have a sugar hang over LOL
kids and i made foux shamores last night i had three . uhg
still working on my 1st cup of coffee
here is out new brood we have 8 so far

Thumbnail by
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh...how cute is that! Are these the ones she was sitting on or the ones from the incubator?

Psssst...Sue....might have been the beer......... ;o)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Sue, you usually have to treat 2-3 times, 1-2 weeks apart. That way you get any strays that hatch or if any of you pick up a new one. It's hard to tell where they came from. If your kids have a sleep over, go to a sleepover, share a helmet or even hang their coats next to them, you are bound to bring home one or more.

Columbus, OH

Darius, I read a statistic that said 3 out of 4 Americans can no longer tell us the country from which we declared independence. *sigh*

Making banana streusel coffee cake for work, so my staff who are working on a holiday can have a treat.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Happy Independence Day to ALL!!!!
Keep cool!!

Glenview, IL

Well hello ORV...

Ric, WOW, FANTASTIC shots.

AWE, Bonnie, I was going to d-mail you too, but thought you might take a cruise over, Well there'll be other times.
So sorry to hear about losing your beloved Jack. I still miss my feathers too. They are will us in our hearts. Sending you a giant Armwrap
((((((((Bonnie&Pup))))))))

Hey Sue, Yikes on the head lice!! Had that same issue with my 3 when they were young, OMG was a never ending battle!
Do they have stuffed animals?? Wash what you can with those and airtight Bag the rest for like a month...Now, you need to look for an electric comb, specifically for lice! as you comb the hair it zaps any live bugs...Works like a charm.
AWWW, so cute the new brood!

Hey Happy 4th of July, everyone be safe.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

For any of you that are interested in Baker's Acres.... I was there yesterday.... was supposed to be the last day of their summer sale. Website may not have been changed, but they told me the summer sale goes on until everything sells... at least 30% off... some things 50%. Sounds like they want to be sold out by end of summer, and not go on thru fall.

:-(

In the extended part of my bed that we did this spring, in the front of my house, I realized I didn't have anything that blooms in late summer or fall. So I picked up a Heliopsis Summer Sun, a Japanese Anenome (forget the name now) a threadleaf coreopsis (because I love coreopsis! not because it blooms later) an aster that I think was called Wood's Purple. And, a turtlehead "hot lips"... can't remember the latin name. I have never grown them, but Jean said it was just the thing I needed. Decided that I like the Summer Sun so well, I will put in two more and make a real statement. Have a big red bee balm in the center now... think it is Jacob Cline, and it's mildewing terrible. Jean and Jennie said take it out, put in Colraine Red, or something different. The Summer Sun is supposed to be trouble free, and they recommended pinching it back in May to get more flowers, and it won't be so apt to flop.

I just can't imagine gardening without Baker's Acres. Hope they manage to stay in business.

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Celene told me about Baker's Acres on another thread and I really want to visit there. I have 'Hot Lips' here and it's just about to bloom. I planted it from a start last year and can't wait to see it.

Sue, I'm with seedtosser on the stuffed animals. But them in a bag and don't even let your kids think about them for at least a month. I've been reading about your troubles with lice and just cringe thinking about it. I went through it with my oldest two when they were 6 and 4. By the time the lice were gone I was totally exhausted. My back hurt from leaning over them picking through each strand of hair looking for nits. You and your family are in my prayers going through this!

Happy 4th to everyone!

Di

Celene, did you get my reg. email about fleas? Sent Friday, I think.

Yes we have all stuffed animals in bags. :)
we may have a hold on it ? i didn't see anything in my sons hair and little by little life in savannahs hair. egg sacs are far and inbetween. Though as i type this the lice creepy crawlies are listening and will attack again , they have evil little minds you know ? ! :P
very slow day
to hot
no energy for anything blach.
i got a movie and the kids sit and i pick away while they watch a movie
put sheets on all furniture , wash them daily
i m taking all prisoners on this fight. i won't go down with out a battle and win.
everything is in bags and washed daily
bbl

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Jules...chelone...my turtlehead won't bloom for quite some time yet. I have hot lips and last year I think I got another one. Not sure what it was, but planted it in a different spot. I have seedling galore from my hot lips. It's a real workhorse for sure. Glad to see you posting. How's Josie? And Mom? And...um....can't think of your Aussie's name....Not necessarily in that order.

I'm going to a convention thingy with Sue next weekend...wonder if we will be around Baker's?

Looks like Dovey is starting to get rid of some of her roses. It's a sad thing to have to leave something you love so much! I'm understanding how she feels about wanting them to go to someone that will love them for her.

Hey Lil Injun.....good to see you...pop in anytime!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Just thought I'd check in on y'all.

I spent yesterday with the kids at the Northern Mecca, running from here to Dayton to Lebanon then home. I thought of Joyce when I saw Franklin on the exit. Never really noticed where that was before.

I came home with a 2-3 gallon pot of Miscanthus to pot, 3 named daylilies won in the raffle and 2 seedlings that were traded for tropicals.

I just finished digging up a bunch of daylilies for a plant sale and am about to till up another bed for keeper seedlings and till another space for extra veggie plants.

I have blooms, blooms and blooms and am having a great time working outside while I look for an evening job. Craig finally got a part time job and we are also still helping our neighbor. We seem to be running in place but I think we are finally making a big of headway.

You all have a safe and happy Independence Day!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Chele, surely wish you would have stopped when you went by. We're only a mile from the Franklin exit on 75. You could have had free potty breaks!

Sounds like you had a good day.

Glad to hear that Craig finally has something. I'll be scrambling to pick up ANYTHING now that it looks like unemployment is ending. I've been trying to find something in my field, but that will have to stop now. :o(

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Craig's unemployment ran out with no notice. According to the website, he had four more checks. That last tier was dated. Time to collect it ran out before he actually got it so since the first week of June, we've had no income.

You may want to call and check on yours. After hearing what happened to us, a friend had her husband call and they told him he had 16 more weeks. Two weeks later they told him he only had 3 weeks. Since that last extension was shot down, you can't even file your claims like those annoying phone calls say to do.

Craig took a 20 hour a week job at the dollar store. There is nothing else. He may not be able to get full time until all the kids are back in school, if then. I don't remember things being this ridiculous in my whole life.

Well, I have been absent all day. Went to church this morning, then home where we finished the left overs from last night. Rested a bit, and then had to set up a network for the computers in the house. They are up and running. Didn't do any celebrating today, as I looked and didn't see anything in the papers announcing any type of activity. Guess it all happend yesterday and last night.

It turned hot and humid again, and DGD and friend spent a good deal of time in the pool. I have a Dr appointment in the morning, so that will be first on the agenda, and then need to fertilize and water all the pots and then the never ending chore of weeding. Will be getting ready the last of the week to go on vacation.

Judy, just wanted to thank you for the arm wrap. Appreciate it very much. Losing a beloved pet( or in my case member of the family) is tough, but he will always linger in my thoughts and heart. When he was only 6 weeks old, he was wandering the yard, and I was keeping an eye on him, as I planted some flowers. He came over to me and watched for a few minutes, and started to help me dig. Dirt was flying everywhere. Since he was unnamed at that point, and I got such a kick out of seeing him dig so earnestly, Digger was his name.

This message was edited Jul 4, 2010 8:53 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Just got back from Robyn's Family 4th picnic.
Hot, Humid, no breeze and in the backyard w/ no trees...... miserable!
They have almost an acre front yard /w mature trees and a nice breeze.
So why not do it there? Answer was "What in the front yard? Are you nuts?"
I'm thinking "Why even have a front yard?" but .......

Oh well no more Holidays up that way till Thanksgiving....LOL!

Had a nice visit w/ Joyce.
We stopped by and vented a bit...lol!.... and decompressed.
Watched the ReMax Hot Air Balloon drift over.
The drive home was amazing! NO Traffic! No Cops! (we saw 8 setting up a DUI stop in Kettering)
The 3 new Koi are swimming comfortably in the top Stack Pond.

Man it is WWIII again tonight around here.
Guess the Chinese economy is doing well if our area is any example! lol!
Robyn's out watching them I'm dog setting. Wu HATES fireworks!

Ric

Chele, so glad to hear that Craig at least has something. I was wondering about the unemployment, as I have heard several people around here talking about the extended benefits just weren't there like the news said.

My SIL told me today in church that there was an article in the paper today, about the state cutting my retirement benefits. Yikes, I have to look that article up online, as I don't get that paper. After putting in 30 plus years, I don't believe they have the right to retroactively cut the retirement payments. Maybe for new hires. Gotta get to the bottom of this, because if true, it will create a financial situation here, and I so don't want to have to go back to work.

well we are back from our neighbors party
not much fun for me . I really sat by myself and felt like an outsider ? i brought my mint for the mojitos and she never even offered me one ? kids had fun. So that was good. Bored me to death for 4 hrs. watched fireworks out in the feild.
Chelle sorry to hear things are tough but i m glad Craig got a part time . Good luck getting a night job. I wish you luck. This is a crazy economy !
Bonnie i sure hope what your SIL said is not true. boy that would really be a bad thing ! for a lot of people.
Ric i know what you mean about the front yard. We hada 4 H meeting and they put the tables in the sun. Not under the tree's in the shade ??? duh!!
Cookie if i pick you up on Friday , can we take a trip to Joans ???
well i m pooped
good night
sleep well friends

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, I sure hope they do not cut retirement benefits! I know Marcy was talking awhile back about their insurance being reduced or cut. That is a horrible way to treat people that worked for years and years and paid in. :(

When I was talking to someone a week or two ago, they said they had read an article saying companies do not want to hire people that are unemployed. They want to hire people that are already working. What kind of ignorance is that?? Are all the companies just going to keep swapping people? Offer them more to switch companies? Then let them go because they can't afford it? I know I sure wouldn't leave a job without a darn good offer but how long can they keep that up? Someone else confirmed that they read the same article!

WWIII lasted until well-after 4 am here. The major shelling went on from dark-thirty until after 1 am, but minor skirmishes erupted every time I fell asleep. Yuck.

Chele, part-time even at the # store is better than total starvation. Don't know how you manage... I'm just hanging on by short fingernails and I have an income (for now). I just read that the USDA has downsized their 2010 crop estimates, and food shortages are increasing again. High prices will continue to rise, I guess. Good thing I like tomatoes and squash.

Hot already, and I have the sprinkler running. Have to water everything deeply as I will be leaving in the morning for 3 days... no rain in the forecast. Tomatoes and winter squash are looking good although the squash wilt a bit in this heat.

While at UVa, I get 2 small fillings, and the last bad tooth pulled, plus have some blood drawn while I'm fasting. Don't have to go again until September.

The good news is that I get to visit a Dwarf Nigerian goat dairy farm with John while I'm upstate. (Thankfully he's driving and has AC!)

Later in the month, I have an invitation to visit a cidermaker who makes old fashioned hard cider from historic apples, including one Tom Jefferson grew. Their friends nearby make and sell mead and we'll visit them, too.
http://www.foggyridgecider.com/
http://www.blacksnakemead.com/

Off to rotate the sprinkler. Spring water flow is low so I have to watch it carefully.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Chele, I'm glad Craig at least got part time work. Here, one of the gas stations posted a sign that they were hiring an attendant, and there was 30 cars jaming the street and the gas staion lot at 9am when they said to apply. That's one of the jobs no one wanted until the economy took a header .

I still say that Washington DC water must have a chemical in it that causes retardation. Lets creat JOBS not WORK. Use all the billions of dollars left in the stimulus package and more if needed, to offer all citizens 62-65 a one year opportunity to retire at full social security benefits and medicare eligibility. There are so many baby boomers that are only working for medical coverage (One spouse has retired and the other had to go to work for insurance coverage.) Most of them grew up knowing frugality and have their homes paid for and their debt eliminated and would jump at the chance to retire. This is the only way to create JOB OPENINGS in every sector of the economy. The old jobs are long gone and we must create new openings so that recent college grads can strike out on their own, buy houses , cars , furniture etc. and stimulate the retail sector, which in turn, stimulates investing and growth in the economy. I guess I'm really on one this morning. Sorry!

Lurker Lou

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Yeah, I think it is crazy everywhere! I cannot tell you the last time I saw a "help wanted" or "now hiring" sign. Craig got lucky. He's was at the dollar store last week and asked if they were hiring and it just happened that someone had just left and they had an opening. Other than that, we are still helping our neighbor whenever we can.

On the bad side, even though we have help with insurance and food, it's hard to keep up with paper products, hygiene items, etc. All of the kids need clothes. And all of the money I have is going to the electric company today or they are shutting it off tomorrow. We are managing to get by but it's been rough going. I sure hope it gets better soon!

I hope the rest of you manage too!

I did pot up some tomato and pepper plants so we'll have those plus walking onions, several bush cucumbers and some other stuff. Hopefully they all do well!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.