ORVG Coffee House #179: Almost the 4th of July

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1107292/

Had a great time at Joyce's today.
Met 'The Sistah's' from here at DG and they were amazing.
Two I knew previously, but as at any DG gathering... you know everyone by the time you leave.

Here are 'The Sistah's'

Thumbnail by henryr10
Columbus, OH

It finally rained here!

msrobin, I'm glad the analogy amused you, it does me, too. There are a couple of real nutwhack stores near my work, and we see the results of all of their advice, some amusing, some just make me angry. My current favorite flea product is slipper/shoes that have an ultrasonic flea doodad. Fleas don't even HAVE ears, I hope they're comfy shoes, at $124.99.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hi folks!

Yesterday was a very long day; I went to the Central VA RU about 3 hours from here at Fairy Stone State Park. I love putting faces to names! We had a small turnout, probably 12-15 DG'ers plus as many more husbands and family. A couple of folks had brought some fans so it was tolerable in our shelter, although mid- 90's in the sun.

No rain here for a few days now, and the grass is way past needing to be mowed. I probably left 3 gallons of red raspberries on the canes for the birds, and I have hundreds of sugar snaps going to seed for next year, along with seeds for the rare yellow cabbage turnip.

I remember many years ago buying a flea trap that was a small fluorescent light in a frame suspended over a tray you filled with water... had not remembered dish soap but it makes sense, to reduce the surface tension. I have a bad interior flea problem this year, and will clean-up and spray everything good just before I go to see my Docs next week. Meanwhile I've set-up a light and pan where they seem the worst. My cats are staying on the porch 24/7 and my order of Revolution should be here today.

Columbus, OH

Revolution is a good flea product for cats, it helps prevent intestinal parasites and heartworms.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Off to Sue's.

Here's a Fact sheet from Ohio State University.
Lavender is mentioned and not disproved.
I'm kinda curious about why it does what it does.
Seems like the Mum family there is an active chemical component .
I'm looking into it for it's antibacterial factors now.

Celene I agree w/ you on most stores.
Maybe not the % but certainly most employees are under informed on what they are selling.
Just go to Lowes...LOL!

The women in question has two small children and didn't want to use any type of chemical products.
She started using the oil at the birth of the 1st one 3 years ago.
Plus of course the vacuuming etc.
And I HARDILY appreciate any info of ideas you can think of, that's a given.

Ric

This message was edited Jun 27, 2010 9:06 AM

Columbus, OH

The problem with "lavender is not disproved" is that you can't prove a negative, it's research parlance for "not worth bothering to look". There is an excellent study by Dryden at KSU about lavender, pennyroyal, etc. They have photos of fleas actually reproducing on fabric soaked in those essential oils. Aren't you glad you're not one of HIS grad students? Here's a camera, catch those fleas mating. Ugh.

I don't believe lavender has any consequential antibacterial action. Part of what makes the claims you see on the internet about antibacterial properties of essential oils and products like grapefruit seed extract, is that there is zero standard for purity, and zero standards for the research, at least that which is quoted. They make the laboratory geek emerge from me, because poor research and poor conclusions make my teeth itch. No essential oil is labeled as "antibacterial" officially, because none of them pass the standards. We're all told this is because botanicals can't be patented and sold; of course this is untrue, it's certainly happened before, and first person who finds an essential oil or combination thereof with reproducibly antibacterial effect will never have to work a day again. Tea tree and white thyme are probably the closest to having consistent, reproducible effect, but the somewhat variable nature of botanicals can make even that dicey.

For people who are really interested in this, I can go on for a shockingly boring amount of time, since I worked in a lab for seven years. If anyone ever doubted that I was a geek, that should clear it up. LOL

Well, I am interested, for general health information. The herbal industry in the US is about to undergo radical changes which will affect beneficial herbs as well, esp. in the backyard.

Columbus, OH

I definitely see the potential for that, but I can also say with great confidence I've heard this for as long as I can remember, which is at least since the early-mid 70's, so I'm not worried it'll be immediate. I'll start worrying when we see an injury/death case, because that is what it'll take.

I theoretically and intellectually do not want regulation of the herbal/vitamin industry, but I also would love to see them fund their own well-constructed research or stop making crazy snake oil claims. Sell herbs, sell vitamins, just don't claim that they cure cancer, cellulite, or whatever. One of my friends works in computer forensics, and plain old fraudulent claims for cures for obesity (number one, by leaps and bounds), cancer, blindness, HBP, etc. abound. This is a billion-dollar plus problem, and the lunatic fringe who cash in on the dreams of sick people reaching for any possible cure is what will screw the pooch. I think most sellers are reasonable, make reasonable claims and sell reasonable problems.

All that we need is one freaking whackjob claiming that their soap, tea, extract, or herbal product cures a disease to hurt someone, and it will happen. This is why I spend a lot of time talking about microbiology and how solid research is constructed, because it matters. There are a lot of companies out there who violate federal regulations left and right, and look at the fines for making illegal claims as the cost of doing business. Yup, they make drug claims for products that don't do a darned thing for the condition they claim to alleviate or cure, and all they have to do is pay a fine and keep ringing their cash register. This is where I wish that administrative law would change, put the egregious violators out of business and leave the reasonable people alone.

I'll start a research/microbiology geek thread if you guys want, I don't want to take this thread on a tangent that will make most everyone hate me. LOL

(Zone 5b)

Celene, please do start a thread on it! I find it fascinating and educational. I'd love to know more. Thank you for bringing this up!

When I read your comment on pet store advice I gave you an Amen Sister, a high five, a twirl and a snap!

Annie

I agree, lots of snake oil out there...

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Wow Celene...I love reading your comments too. VERY interesting to me!
LOL@ Bonnie! That's a good idea, Bonnie...for you all to come eat the leftovers!
Sounds like all you market gardeners have been hard at work. We picked our first tomato!!!! Woohoo!! Haven't eaten it yet though. It is a Roma...but double the Roma size...and quite misshapen at that! But who cares????? Not me!!
We had a good time at the antique fair yesterday, but man, was it ever hot! I actually got a little sunburn! And I rarely burn at all!
In fact, I was almost sick from too much sun. Think I will watch it a bit closer from here on in. It might be from my BP meds too.
We stopped for supper on the way home, and I actually couldn't eat but a couple of bites!
We planned on staying home today and working outside, but don't know if I can take that sun again! I will have to find a shady spot to work in!
Dave bought me this little set of mushrooms yesterday, made from hypertufa. They are just darling! I'll try and get a picture of them.
Well... you all keep cool today..whatever you do!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi all,

It's 95 degrees here and we have a strong breeze(wind). It is not too bad out for about 15 minutes and then it really hits you. Since the RU, we have had way over our alloted amount of rain. The evening of the RU, we got 3 inches of rain in a severe storm. The next three nights , we had the same thing. Lots of minor wind damage and lots of rain. Work was flooded out on Wed. and Thurs.of that week. It let up a couple of days and came back. We were flooded out on this Friday. We are now under a server storm warning for tonight. ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

Celene, I would be very interested in reading a thread on your research.

Has anyone heard from Tony?? I missed her at the RU and hope her move is all done and she is settled in.

I have my epis planted in with my holiday cactus and treat them both the same.
Which is to say, I virtually ignoer them in the winter.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone. Lurker Lou

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

WhooHoo! We got 3/4" of rain in 45 minutes this morning. Enough rain to be worthwhile and make weed pulling easy, and done early enough to still be able to work in the garden today.

Sorry to hear about the excessive/flooding amounts of rain up north.

Ric an Robyn just left my house and boy did they do a great job!!! helping me with my Chicken coop. That nail gun is awesome !! Ric let me play with it. LOL .
we lost another hen last night. this time it was a different predator. maybe a rat ?
my kids are so sunburned . they slept at a friends house and went swimming. Austin is really suffering.
i have heard putting vinager on a sunburn ? to take out the heat .

Columbus, OH

Vinegar in a bath works wonders, it just needs to be ACV. Or so I'm told.

Celene thank you
i will try it tonight

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Not sure what ACV means? But I use vinegar all the time to stop itching from sun and other things...like heat rashes. Also use it to rinse my hair. Ooops...here comes the rain...BIG TIME!!! I'm outa here!!

Columbus, OH

Sorry, it's apple cider vinegar. Hope you don't get rained out!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The storm that hit Marcy and Sue is losing strength but hammering northern Cincy.
We'll hopefully get some of the rain but I am totally enjoying the cool, comparatively, breeze.

Oh I'm totally aware of the snake oil claims Celene in aroma and herbal therapy.
And I frankly find Lavender aroma to NOT be soothing.
To me it's a 'little old lady in a lace doily filled room' childhood memory scary smell.
Patchouli gags me as a fragrance except on a select few women I've met.
Crushed tomato vines are also not high on my list...lol!

But each person has different aroma/memory triggers so.....
Soothing aroma to me.... freshly ground Jamaican coffee...lol!
Ask Joyce!

One of my majors was bio and I love to see good research.
I'm talking the break the stuff down to a molecular level and see what's what studies.
And done by reputable labs w/ no vested interest.
Geek BTW is a well used term here... and well though of....
we are, to one extent or another, after all Plant Geeks. ;-)

Rain has just moved it!
Ric

Columbus, OH

Scent is soooo subjective, isn't it? I am ambivalent about lavender, though lots of people love it. Patchouli, now there is a love it or hate it kind of smell--I love it, but a real aged essential oil that smells like earth. I hate berry scents, they smell like some medicine my mother used to shove down my throat.

Did you know that there is a hereditary component to scent, some people can smell urine notes in jasmine and some other florals? I'm one of them, my father was, too...none of my sisters or my mother, though. And I love tomato leaves! Tree of heaven leaves, they make me gag, so do daturas.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

We got another 3 1/2 inches of rain overnight. UGH!~ I don't think it will bring the river out again this week if we don't get anymore.

It's supposed to be less humid and hot this week. Everyone have a good gardening week. Lou

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We got some serious rain last night.
I haven't checked the gauge but but everything is flooded.
Even the pots deep under the Maple are full to the brim.
It started raining at about 11:30PM and we have 1.08" officially for yesterday.
Jon said we had .25" in the afternoon storm so......

First order of business is to tie the Canna back up.
They got whacked pretty good by the huge wind gust that came through while we were at Sue's.

we got lots of rain.
thunder and lots of lightening
chickens are still here . no losses last night.
Ric tell Robyn thank you for stapling on the rain tarp for the chickens , they are nice and dry. :)
well got lots to do
later

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I told her Sue.
She laughed and said you are Welcome.

Glad to see the ladies are still w/ us!!!
Hope it was due to our actions.
We had a great time.

Unfortunately their was a business fire in Springfield.
We went down 68 and got rerouted.
Ended up adding about a 1/2 hour to the trip home.
But we now know that's the way to go.
We actually got home in the same amount to time it took to get up there even w/ the detour.
Ric

(Zone 5b)

Scent is an interesting subject! I have an association with almost every smell, weird, and a visial to go with it. Lavender in any form but fresh cut gives me a headache and I feel confined. The same with orange, peeling a fresh orange is soothing but anything scented orange literally turns my stomach and makes me want to run away. Cinnamon, fresh or pure oil is comforting, as is vanilla,allspice, almond, nutmeg, pimpkin, all remind me of home, Mom & Grandma. Floral or roses, pretty to look at but can't smell them, it's a depressing feeling as I can still see my childhood neighbor lady crying in her yard full of roses. The grill, lemon, tyme, basil, sage, all invoke a happy feeling, dill especially as I see my old great aunt Dorothy carrying her famous (and not very tasty) dill salad but I loved her to pieces. In the winter when it gets too long and depressing I ride a lot, the smell of a barn, hay, horses, horse manure, feed, leather, is pure comfort. Lightning, the sound and smell, are energizing as is snow but only if I see if falling.

(Zone 5b)

Ric, I was thinkin about your fleas... are you treating your sweeper too? I don't think flea collars are safe for pets to wear but they're great to put in the sweeper. Cut a piece off and put it in the sweeper bag, another piece under pet beds (where they can't find and chew on it). Sweeper bags (even bagless) are a motel room for fleas.

We got some rain last night, yipeee, the grass was turning brown. It looks like it's going to rain any minute, I hope so. The flowers look great from watering with the hose but the yard was getting crispy.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My DD flies in tonight and will be here for the week - YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sue so glad to hear there were no chicken losses last night. Maybe Santa needs to bring you a nail gun LOL Hope you're able to get rid of the predators soon, they can take over in a hurry.

Have a great day everyone!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning folks!
Well the sun is trying to come out here...just a glimmer or two!
We got hammered last night with wind, lightning, and rain. We got 3/4 of an inch...but the lightning was spectacular!! Wind was only at the beginning of the storm...so not too much of that.
I did have to shut everything down at the computer desk. I have had one computer hit by lightning...so I don't take any chances!
I'm not sure what is on the agenda for today here?
Yesterday, I cleaned out the hot tub. It hasn't been used for several years, due to my knees. But this year, I CAN get my legs up and over the edge..yayyy! Now...I am filling it with the hose, so it will take a while...lol! I am only doing it a little at a time. Don't want to run our well dry!
I do have to make some phone calls. I still have questions for the caterers, and the lady who rents the community center too.
I hope you all have a great day out there!!

Columbus, OH

It's looking like it could clear up here, but it rained cats and dogs last night. My big dog hates storms and I gave her a little xanax so she could sleep, she paced for hours.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Checked the gauge.
We got 1.7" last night.

We're still drying out....lol!

Ric

Columbus, OH

I need a rain gauge, I think that there is one on the thermometer/hygrometer doodad that my MIL gave me, but that'd require that I unbox it to install it, which I'm not doing till my kitchen renovation is done.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

We got an inch and an eighth last night. Hello strangers! I am still having a wonderful time with my sistahs...just one left now, but I'll get back to you later to fill you in on on the fun things we did!

Cookie you are an official employee of mine . LOL

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

When do I get my paycheck?

ummm i spent it .

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

That's DEFINITELY NOT the RIGHT ANSWER!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Well, seems like everybody had rain to some degree yesterday and last night. We had an inch. The gardens looked happier this morning, and since it was overcast all day they are still wet.

Celene, I have enjoyed your opinions and views on the subjects of herbs/hostolic treatments. You said Revolution is good for cats for fleas, and I am aware of it's ability to take care of some worms, and ear mites, but what do you recommend as flea treatment for dogs? Someone told me that Mule Team Borax is good to sprinkle on the carpets to get rid of fleas/eggs there. Have you ever heard of it, and what is your opinion? Several years ago, someone told me that a sure thing to deter fleas from dogs is a mixture of distilled water and peppermint oil. I tried it, and didn't seem to see much difference, but had good smelling dogs!!

Joyce, wow, still partying. I am sure that you all had fun, and did all kinds of fun things while they were there. I admit that I am a tad jealous, as I have met many DG folks, but never had that many at one time, except RU's.

I went and picked up DGD this morning, and when we got home, we cleaned the rest of the day. Still have a few things to get done tomorrow, and then if the weather is nice, I plan on spending some time out by the pool. I paid DGD for her help, and what she earned will probably be used for our county fair this week. I probably would have given it to her anyway, but this was a good way for her to earn it. BTW, she is good help!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We spray in the sweeper hose before and after.
Unfortunately we don't have a beater bar on ours.
But I modified Celene's Tip about the light.
After having the light running for about 8 hours I sprayed a circle about 2' around the light.
Hey they have to travel thru to get TO the water.....
When I walked to the light I saw a few jump on me.
One hour after spraying none were jumping.
Looks like we've gotten them all off Wu and the Cats.
Now were rounding up the young stragglers from the unspray-able areas.

We had 1 3/4 inches of rain last night.
It was a sloppy mess but we finally got the area between the garages cleaned up.
(We had to wait for the junkers to get the old aluminum windows and the fridge.)
Plus I sifted out 30 gallons of compost and mixed in one bucket of Joyce's Horse Manure.
Still have about 3/4 of the pile to go.
I was so muddy I just walked through a puddle to get the first layer of mud off.
Then wore my sandals into the shower....lol!

Joyce you have to be exhausted!

Ric

Celene what can i do for mosquitos ? i m getting eatin alive ! i have Burt Bee's insect repellant . I also have a net over my bed.
any helpful advice on the bites ? i tried vinagar LOLL seem to work ?
i m off to bed
got a chicken coop to clean out tomorrow not looking forward to that either yukky.
sue

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Celene, sure hope that we are not taking undue advantage of you and your training. It sure is nice to get GOOD advice from someone who really knows the subject, vs getting it from the pet store employees, or complete whack jobs.

good morning
cleaned out chicken coop
off to cookies house i forgot her fish good last weekend
bummer
hugs

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.