Leaving a garden

Kalamazoo, MI

My husband and I are planning to move to an apartment, leaving my garden that I started in 1996. I suppose I will get into container gardening. My current plan is to pot up some lavender and fill the balcony or patio.

Has anyone else out there grieved for the loss of their garden?

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I regretted leaving it but I can't say that I grieved for it. I left a detailed 'what is this plant/shrub/tree map' for the new owners and that made me feel hopeful that they would care for /take care of it. I have gone back to 'visit' every now and again and have marveled at how mature it is (the trees mostly as things have changed). Take a little snip of this and that to propagate and focus on the fact that you are leaving something beautiful for others to enjoy and look forward to your next creation and all the challenges and rewards it will present.

There was someone on DG - I am sorry I don't remember who - that had to move (she was renting) and had just a short time to pot up all she could. Several folks on DG (most were strangers) gathered one weekend - all weekend I think - and some from a long distance (maybe Texas forum) to help her move her treasures.

This message was edited Jun 23, 2010 9:49 PM

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I just could not imagine leaving my Gardens !!! I'v worked so hard on them I know I would grieve for a long time I thought about it and I would have to have a Garden apartment ;0) good luck in your move and remember Grow where your planted
Gloria

Port Huron, MI(Zone 6a)

I had to leave my beautiful gardens because of a divorce and it was gut wrenching, but I had insisted on an agreement with my ex that I could go back in the spring to get many of my plants. I took as many plants as I could and transplanted them to my grown childrens homes and my sisters garden and now they are more precious than ever because each home looks better than ever and my grandchildren know they came from me for them.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I moved away from a beautiful award winning yard full of over 300 varieities of perennials and beautiful trees. I had many formal gardens that I had worked on for years. It was hard but I managed to dig up my favorites and move them to the farm here where we live now. I even took the cottage blocks that bordered most of the beds. It was a labor of love. I was able to leave behind the invasives and take the ones I love the most. I recreated a much smaller and easier to maintain flower bed. This is a better "fit" for me now that I'm going into my golden years. I am actually happier with what I have now.

The only thing that hurt was when I went back to see the old house the new owners had taken down all the flower beds and turned them into lawn. I understand why they did it. It was way too much for them to take care of. It just hurt to see all my flower beds gone. I've never gone back again and wish I hadn't looked back.

I have many pictures of the old gardens and even kept the newspaper story about them as well as the video clip of the interview on our local cable station. I'll remember what was and focus on the here and now.

I hope someday you will have your own piece of dirt to dig in again. In the meantime enjoy container gardening and maybe you can borrow a spot in a friend or relatives yard to take care of and enjoy.

Kalamazoo, MI

I'm really enjoying this last season in my garden.

I used to enjoy my uncle's garden in the U.P. I gave him so many of the perennials he had, but now he's moved to California with his son and daughter-in-law.

I guess I'm losing two gardens.

We've decided on the ground floor apartment, though, where I can plant a few things!

Port Huron, MI(Zone 6a)

One of the things that I do now is to maintain a garden at our family's church that is in memory of my mother. I t gives me pleasure to know it is there and it gives the whole congregation pleasure to see it each time they come to church. Most churches now days have the same budget problems that family's have, so they are very happy to have people willing to donate time and plants to do some beautification. Many cities have beautification clubs too that you can get involved in for their parks.

Kalamazoo, MI

That's great advice. Thank you!

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Kristi,

When we moved from Roseville to Macomb Twp. I to had to leave everything behind because we moved in
February... I had some prized 40+ yr old irises from my great aunts gardens.... I remember sharing some with my sister
a few yrs before we moved and she told me to come get them.... I was soooo happy.... I always had so many compliments
on my yard it was the nicest one on the block... my husband went back to look at the old house and they tore EVERYTHING out,
It looked so bad he said... I would never go back and look for fear of that and then I would feel so sad... So yea I feel your pain....

Are you digging anything up? or sharing what you have to leave behind?? just let me know. ;)

Delane

Clinton Township, MI(Zone 5b)

Instead of mourning the loss of your old garden, embrace your new space! I can't tell you how many times I have looked at my garden (especially the perennials) and say, 'if I could start again, I would do ..." This is your opportunity to start anew. Make sure to include in the purchase agreement of your old house that you can take any heirloom or family plants with you, and give the plants to special family members or friends who have the space and who you know will lovingly tend to them.

Since you are moving to an apartment, you will be planting annuals vs. perennials. You will have the freedom to experiment with all the new annual offerings each year, as well as include old-time favorites. You will be able to change the colors and textures each year. If you are anything like me, around this time of year, I am already thinking about what to plant next year!

So mourn the lose of your garden, but not too long, and embrace and get excited about the new garden adventure that awaits you!

Kalamazoo, MI

We're moving to a townhome and there's a bit of space to garden in!

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Kristi I'm so glad! They may have restrictions on what you can plant but at least you can plant!

Kalamazoo, MI

They just said no weeds! Woo hoo!!

Arlington, TX

I lurk around this forum as I have lived all but 6 of my 49 years in MI. I had to move to TX 6 years ago for a job and it was very difficult to leave a garden I had been working in most of my life. I inherited the house from my mother and moved back in with my young children when she passed away. Not only did I leave decades of plants that I had collected and grown but also some of my mothers original ones. It was hard and I can only say take pictures to remember.
C

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome to the Michigan forum. You are more than welcome to join in with us any time you want to. I think you are a real Michigander. Sorry you have to leave so much behind. It can be hard starting over.

Ocean Springs, MS

I have moved 4 times in the past 14 years. First time for a divorce but my garden was not much at the time. We only lived in the house a year before we divorced, so I really didn't have time to plant much.
We then moved into what I thought would always be my home. I created all kinds of garden beds. So much time and effort, then Katrina washed it all away in 2005! I mourned the loss of everything at that time, but I just could not go back there to live.
Bought a new house in 2006 and once again thought I would always live there. Poured my heart and soul into my gardens and they were full of donated plants from DG members. Lost this house to foreclosure because I could not afford to make payments when hubby and I separated.
I just moved into what will be my home forever! It is located where my grandmother used to live and I have my mom, my sister, and my aunt for neighbors. I am finally home. During the move, I dug up every plant I could and moved them to my new home. Some survived; some did not. But I'm starting over and I'm loving it. I am happy that I am finally HOME!

Good luck, Kristi on your move and let us know if you need some annual/perennial seeds. You can also grow container gardens. Plant roses, small shrubs, small trees in the containers and underplant with bulbs, groundcovers, etc.
love, julie

Kalamazoo, MI

We're up to our necks in boxes! Moving day is just before the 1st of September.

Thanks for all your well wishes. This has been a family home since built in 1938. Talk about memories! There must be 10 boxes of photographs that I'm going to give my sister.

All I can take from my mom's garden is lily of the valley. I could take more from my own, but I think I'll just start over. I know what my favorites are and I don't know what kind of sun exposure I'll be getting. We've decided to definitely include an indoor herb garden.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Kristi where are you moving to and what area?? I'm so sad you have to leave all your plants behind!

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

I have a little two bedroom bungalow in Lansing that had wonderful gardens. I had a totally enclosed secret garden off the living room, wonderful landscaped gardens in the front and a dog-friendly garden in the back yard. Wonderful old trees that kept the house cool in the summer. Just a doll house!

In the spring I retired and moved to northern Ohio to be near my kids and now I can't give the house away! Everyone who sees it says how cute but no one wants to buy a small older home in a city neighborhood, no matter how quaint it might be. Trying for a short sale if I can get even a low ball offer or I might just have to walk away. Just kills me but what can I do?

I've been trying to bring some of my plants with me. I have a condo in a retirement community and they have landscaped and put in bushes and such but left lots of room in the beds for me to add some nice perennials. Some have made it and some have not and some I wont know until next year if they made it or not.

Kalamazoo, MI

We're in Kalamazoo and just love it. Our patio faces south but there's a stand of trees on the other side of which lies a golf course. Wish the complex management and golf course would trim trees and clear brush. Guess I'll put in spring bulbs and shade perennials.

On the plus side there's a huge magnolia tree and a peony near the front door--both things that I left behind. Also, it's very peaceful here and our 15-month-old Newfoundland is entertained all day by the chipmunks, squirrels, and birds she sees through the door wall by the patio. We hung a bird feeder and are looking forward to seeing birds again. We hear so many calls/songs that weren't on the other side of the state!

Ladydragon5,

We sold our house at quite a loss to a landlord who owns several properties in that area. He really liked the garden. We're just so glad to be out of that neighborhood.

Good luck!

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Kristi I'm so happy for u! I know you and hubby are probably a lot safer to ;).... Kazoo is a kewl little town!
Enjoy your new home! ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.