Which "live mulch" ground covers smother out weeds?

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I am experimenting with lots of different ground covers instead of mulching around my bushes and plants. Although i do like the Dragon's Blood and Voodoo type sedums, they are not tight enough to crowd out the weeds. Has anyone been successful with other types. I have some pictures of others that do the job very well. I will post when I come back from Physical Therapy.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ajuga?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I also first thought Ajuga. It's pretty tight and close to the ground. Others I have are looser, also may get taller (vinca, lamiastrum) and I think they might be too tall around bushes anyway.
I have a purple Salvia lyrata which is not really a groundcover, but seems to self seed and has basal rosettes of purple with occasional not very showy eight inch spikes.

Lambs ear (Stachys?)

Yeah, I guess my Angelina and Ajuga are doing the job much better than most of the stonecrop sedums.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED

Well that is a good start, nice contrast in color!

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

Ajuga is indeed a good ground cover, but others are suitable too. I discovered the real problem in my garden (it was a meadow before). If there are pieces of roots left in the ground, they will grow inbetween the ground covers. Before you plant them, be sure to clean the earth of all roots until a depth of 8 inches.

Jonna

Pussytoes (antennaria) may be another. Its tight and low, fine texture, silvery leaf color.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have potentilla also, very well behaved
http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/PONES.html

Pussytoes is new to me, Sally. I'll consider that. I guess I could keep the cinquefoil low, Jen, if I trim it ofter.

Great ideas, Thank you. I'm now noticing what a really good job the ajuga does. I will start spreading it around. (Waiting for the cooler weather at the end of the week),

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

That potentilla is really low to the ground, don't have to trim it at all, it's not like that wild indian strawberry even though the leaves look similiar.
That garden stone is only about 4" tall

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.