Florida Gardening: Pictures Of The Day - 23

Jacksonville, FL

This thread is getting extremely lengthy so I am starting a shiny new thread. We came from here>>>>> http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1097111/

Jump in, and share what is growing in your gardens!!

Thumbnail by mistressgardenr
Allthingsplants, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the new thread. The old one WAS quite lengthy. One day I'm going to learn how to start new ones.

Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

Dill is a thrill. Hope to see swallowtail butterfly larvae.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Jon .... "if you grow it, they will come..." with the swallowtail butterflies. It took a few years for them to find my bronze fennel plants, but I had 4 big caterpillars on the plants all at once this year. I hope the
caterpillars made it to maturity. They were there one day and gone the next, so I'm hoping they got fat enough and went in search of a place to pupate.

Thanks for the new thread, Linda. See you tomorrow. Afternoons are generally best for me as it takes me a few hours in the mornings to become fully human.

Jeremy

Jacksonville, FL

Jeremy---Brandy and I thought about doing this Friday if she does not have anything pressing--she has not seen your gardens and would love to visit also. We can come noonish if all works with her and your schedule. I plan to go see the lady with plants on CL in the am.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks for starting a new thread. I just love love love the blending of colors on that Passion Flower. That's a great one.

The zinnias, grown from seed, are starting to bloom. Here's a couple photos from today. This is "Cool Crayon Colors" (a mix from www.reneesgarden.com) with "Green Envy"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

This is Zinnia "Apricot Blush" (also from Renee's Garden)

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Another zinnia from the "Cool Crayon Colors" mix.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

This is Zinnia "Queen Red Lime".

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And the last one is another Zinnia "Green Envy" with Rudbeckia "Prairie Sun".

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Might as well add a Sunflower photo from today. This one is named "Starburst Aura"

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Very nice, Jon! Yesterday, I bought a bargain rack tray of the mini-Zinnias that keep on blooming up to the frost. I think they are the 'profusion' series, but I can't recall for sure which they are.

Sylvain - I was just looking through the Zinnia possibilities in Plant Files and saw this one you must seek out for your garden: Zinnia elegans 'polar bear' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/74955/

Linda and Brandy - Friday afternoon sounds fine to me for a garden visit and plant exchange. Give me a call when you are headed my way.

Yesterday was a most frabjous day! Our home is finally out of foreclosure! Hurrah! After about 18 months (the process server was on my front porch stoop the day after Christmas in 2008 - a not so very merry Christmas gift), and due to the diligent efforts of a local Legal Aid attorney, the bank finally settled with a mortgage modification. Our monthly payments are reduced by about $300, which should help greatly with the budget. It is a wonderful relief to be back in good standing and released from the threat of losing our house. Of course, my way of celebrating was to buy MORE plants! LOL If the bank had done what they had promised to do under the TARP funding they received from the federal treasury, all the legal wrangling could have been avoided, but there doesn't seem to be any oversight or enforcement in regard to the government handouts to the banks.

Jeremy

They probably were the "Profusion Series" zinnias Jeremy. The three most common zinnias I see sold are "Profusion" (short/spreading), "Magellan Series" (big blooms on short plants) and the "Swizzle Series" (either a red &white or red&yellow circular color pattern on 6-10" plants). I'm growing a solid tall white one named "Giant Purity" but it still has a ways to go before blooming.

Here's another new one I've grown from seed, this spring, as a spreading border plant. It's named "Zahara Double Fire". It's about twice the height of the "Profusion Zinnias" at 10-12 inches.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

We were sitting on the back porch when a surprise rain shower burst forth & saw this lizard run out from the mexican heather carrying this egg. She (we assume) kept looking around as if she couldn't decide where to put the egg. She dropped it numerous times & immediately picked it back up. The rain only lasted about 10 minutes and as soon as it ended she ran back into the mexican heather. Any amateur herpetologists out there to venture an opinion as to what she was up to?

Thumbnail by flaflwrgrl

A pretty bronze daylily which came true from seed a friend sent me. Anyone out there have a clue as to it's name? It has been blooming non-stop since mid April. Large flowers on nice tall scapes.

Thumbnail by flaflwrgrl

That's a super Daylily bloom Ann. I have no idea what variety it may be though. There are a few Daylily varieties out there as you know. LOL

This is Hibiscus "Dragon's Heart" and Calla Lily "Cantor"

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Jacksonville, FL

That's it Jon!!!! I am coming in the middle of the night and raid your gardens!!!! With help from some of the troops in N FL --- Seriously--you have some gorgeous plants and I can imagine your landscaping. It has to be simply beautiful! Be glad you ARE so far away!!! LOL!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I never realized there were "pretty" zinnias. I must go broaden my horizons!!!

All you in the Jax area can stop by & pick me up on your way to raid Jon's gardens. Count me in!

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Amore.... I love that picture!

Uh oh. I must admit my neighbors have better landscaping. I just have lots of flowers, but not as many as my brother in Sarasota. He has more than I do.

Yeh, yeh, yeh....we've heard about your neighbors landscaping----green, green, & more green. It's flowers we're interested in anyway. He's just trying to throw us off gang.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

mistress

Pick me up, for I'm only about 10 minutes away from him. I guess. Will bring the plastic bags and a trowel. We're in business. He will probably be asleep for he spends so much time gardening. hehe

Hap

Jacksonville, FL

Ok guys--here is the plan!!! We will leave Jax on a "designated" date(only know to the conspirators, pick up all "culprits" along the way with shovels, pots, bags and any other pertinent needs. Then once we clean Jon out we WILL check out his neighbor "just in case"!! And someone find out where his brother lives too!!! We can all come home with goodies!!!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I'M IN.....

DMAIL ME ON THE DATE. HEHEHE....

Jon, you're in trouble now.....

Now wait a cotten picken minute.....I you suggesting that I am one of his "neighbors"?

YIKES.

Hap

Jacksonville, FL

No Hap! You are safe!!!

Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

a shot from today at Bush Gardens. They did some fancy borders.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

Also on display at Busch Gardens were these large potted flowers.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

local pea cock struts his stuff

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

another pea cock on the fence.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

Yeah, yeah, Nancy and I are neighbors and she's North of me. That means it would make more sense to stop at her place first. She has the good stuff. After you fill up the car at her place, you won't have any need to head further South........ WAY WAY WAY down here. Just trying to help everyone out))).

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Okay guys, here's the deal. His brother lives in Sarasota. BUT, I think it might be smart to swing by Apopka & make a raid at John's first. I hear tell his dog is getting old anyway so we probably don't have to worry about that. I'll bring along a nice knuckle bone anyway just in case. Then it's over to Sarasota to raid Jon's brother who does a lot of his plant shopping down at Jon's anyway so we know who's really choosing the plants for him. THEN we hit Lauderdale. You better get a dog F-A-S-T Jon!
Everybody have their green & black grease paint ready? Does anyone have one of those nifty toys they sell at nature centers---the ones that make animal tracks when pressed in the dirt? We'll make some hog tracks. They'll all think wild hogs have moved into the area & eaten their plants!

LOL. The wild hogs are already here. They live in a vacant lot about 1/2 mile up the street. They stay away from here because there's always the sweet aroma of bacon in the air every morning. Stop at John's place, Nancy's place, everyone elses place further North. No need to fight all the traffic down here. My brother, the deputy sheriff, has a mean dog. Not a good combination for plant raidin'.

Jacksonville, FL

Sounds like someone is "blowin smoke" don't it!!!!???? Plans are still in effect!!! Dogs and deputy sheriffs are my specialty so we are good to go. Wild hogs we will just leave for Jon to have a pig roast!!! hehehe!!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh, for sure he'll have it waiting for us. I like mine well done.

As for guard dogs...I have myself.

Thumbnail by Happy_1

Cute. Looks like a ferocious guard dog. LOL.

This is Hibiscus "Funny Voodoo" blooming this morning.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Vietnamese Hollyhock, in the backyard, as the sun was setting this evening.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

The other Hollyhock potted on the front sidewalk.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

They really are pretty Jon. I can't wait to grow mine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.